Buying Advice Ford 1715

/ Ford 1715 #1  

GKChesterton

Tractor
CK2610 HST; B7800
Looking at a used Ford 1715. Owner says it has just over 1K hours. Says clutch was never replaced. I know the clutches on the 1715 tended to have issues and are cost prohibitive to fix (I don't have the time to learn how to split a tractor right now). Any owners have some advice on what I should look for when I test drive it? Is there a way to tell if the clutch is close to failing other than the PTO not engaging, which would be a clear giveaway. I'd want to run a 5 foot brush hog on the tractor to mow about 15 acres and maybe a tiller to create some food plots, so I need a reliable PTO.

/ Ford 1715 #2  
Looking at a used Ford 1715. Owner says it has just over 1K hours. Says clutch was never replaced. I know the clutches on the 1715 tended to have issues and are cost prohibitive to fix (I don't have the time to learn how to split a tractor right now). Any owners have some advice on what I should look for when I test drive it? Is there a way to tell if the clutch is close to failing other than the PTO not engaging, which would be a clear giveaway. I'd want to run a 5 foot brush hog on the tractor to mow about 15 acres and maybe a tiller to create some food plots, so I need a reliable PTO.

I bought a Ford 1920 with 1056 hours.
Because I had much of the tractor disassembled to do a complete refurbishment, I decided to replace the clutch, since I had already bought a new aftermarket one.
I replaced pilot bearing, clutch release bearing, and the complete 2 stage clutch.

Once it was apart....it was obvious there really was no need to replace anything.
Depending on clutch usage (and you have no way to know that) I would guess that your clutch might reasonably be expected to last for about 1600 hours. It kinda depends on how, and how much, your loader was used.

It is your call!
You might have 600+ hours to go.
If you can then do the work yourself, with a knowledgeable friend to help, it will cost about $700+.
It is not a wildly difficult job.
Do NOT ever buy a Chinese aftermarket clutch! (don't ask me how I know this).

ONLY Messick's...Messick's...Messick's !!!!

Last edited: