Ford 4610SU Log Winch Setup

/ Ford 4610SU Log Winch Setup #1  

ETD66SS

Gold Member
Looking to log some Scots Pine to use as sawn non-structural lumber for my house build. Need a quick and dirty log winch setup, can't afford a ~$8000 log skidding winch right now.

I'm looking to use the frame from my cheap County Line 3pt hole auger and mount a winch to the draw bar.

My question is, how cheap of a winch can I get away with? I'd like a winch with wireless remote so I can follow the log with a cant hook to maneuver it through obstacles.

I won't use the very end of the auger frame to lift the logs, most likely I'll mount a clevis to one of the available locations closer to the 3pt lift arms.

My tractor has iirc about 500 lbs of suitcase weights on the front, making the tractor weigh about 5500-6000 lbs. I plan to buy a ~9000-10000 lb winch.

I won't have a blade to push in the ground to stabilize the tractor when pulling the logs. The logs I will be dealing with will vary from ~16" to 22" at the butt end and 25ft long. Green, that size Scots pine should be around ~2500 lbs.

I intend to use the tractor battery to run the winch, so the tractor will be running with parking brakes applied when I'm skidding.

Has anyone done something similar? Thoughts? Would Synthetic rope be better/worse than wore rope? I'd like a winch with the guide rollers, those seem to only come on winches with wire rope.

Attachments

• 0610211552.jpg
    0610211552.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 190
  • 0610211553.jpg
    0610211553.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 187
Last edited:
   / Ford 4610SU Log Winch Setup #2  
IF you can't afford a 8k skidding winch, why don't you buy a 4k one?

It will still be a thousand times better than what ever you cobble up, and the 4k skidding winch will have some actual "resale", when you are done with it.

SR

/ Ford 4610SU Log Winch Setup
Because I am building a house and can't spend 4k right now. But thanks for the "tip".

/ Ford 4610SU Log Winch Setup #4  
The real "tip" was/is, spending 4k now (actually, they can be bought for less) you would have a winch to use right now, and you WILL get your money back later...

Best part is, "later" you may be better off, and can keep the winch, as once you have one, you won't want to give it up!

SR

/ Ford 4610SU Log Winch Setup #5  
There’s been a lot of threads about using electric winches on tractors as logging winches. I think people use them in a very limited capacity. Maybe one log here and there. Keep in mind that tractors come with pto shafts instead of electrical receptacles. Most other thread comments focus on:

What is amperage rating of tractor’s alternator? It’s usually low compared to other type vehicles and compared to winch’s demand. What is winch’s amperage demand?
We’re only talking 12volts here, so amperage has to be high to get any power. (At best, it takes about 56 amps (at 13.2 volts) to get 1 horsepower from the winch.

What is winch’s speed? Again, some people find them intolerably slow. Again, being slow makes them quick to drain the battery only after 1 pull or two.

What is the winch’s duty cycle? A “cheap and dirty” winch may claim to have a lot of pull, but for how long before it overheats? (Then again, resting the winch may go together with having to let the battery try to recharge.)

It probably would be faster (operating and constructing) and cheaper to get a few fixed length (25’, 75’, 125’) sections of cable (that you’d have to buy anyways) and some snatch block (pulleys) and do your logging with those.

/ Ford 4610SU Log Winch Setup #6  
A hydraulic winch would have a better duty cycle but the ones that run off power steering need something like 3 gpm at 1500 psi so you'd have to have some flow control and relief valves.

Forestry winches have a "shoe" that digs in to resist the force of the winch pulling the tractor backwards. You'd need to make that. Otherwise you'll be depending on the parking brake and tire traction alone to keep the tractor from moving. Forestry winches also have longer cables than truck winches- 160-230' vs 60 or 70.

I've been using cables and chains to pull logs and the big limitation there is having a space to move the tractor the same distance you need to pull the log. My land is steep and wooded so tractor movement is limited. Yours may be better in that regard.

I'd be using the winch to pull about 16 to 20 logs that weigh 1500 to 2500 lbs. I don't have the time to be making logging paths to the trees I intend to cut down, and the one path I do have is only abou 8-10ft wide. Not a lot of room for snatch blocks etc as the woods are too thick to even walk through, really want a remote control winch option.

I figure the winch could go on my utility trailer after this job. The amperage and duty cycle comment is a good point. Likely rules out the Chinesium winches for $300.

I'd love a skidding winch, because I do have more logging to do in the coming years. However I'd want one sized to my tractor, which iirc is 58 HP at the PTO. So buying a 15-30 HP rated $4k skidding winch doesn't seem like a great idea. The correct size skidding winch with wireless remote would be a 30-60 HP unit which run like $7-9k, can't do that right now.

All I need to buy is a winch atm. I do have a PTO HYD pump for this tractor, so maybe a HYD winch is an option, but then it can'tbe move to my trailer.

Last edited:
   / Ford 4610SU Log Winch Setup #8  
Think a capstan "winch" would be most economical..... Most electric winches are for occasional "recovery" use, not really a good choice for continual log skidding.... If you tractor does not have a 150+ AMP Alternator and a robust battery an electric winch will be good for about one pull and you will have to run tractor for a hour or so to recover the battery....

Hydraulic winch is more adaptable for winching with a drum style winch.. As hydraulic power is continuous as long as engine is running... But quite expensive...
Easy and cheapest solution may be a "log arch" and back up to log, chain up. hoist and drag it out....

I can't back up to the logs, they will need to be pulled dozens of feet through a real dense forest.

I've got 60+ acres, I logged about 5 acres of it the past 15 years with my 575D backhoe. It's easy when you're basically clearcutting. Not doing that this time around. I have a narrow windy path that is about 1800ft long, and looking to pick and choose choice trees for decorative beams, panneling & trim.

The Norwood hyd winch looks interesting but my tractor does not have remotes.

/ Ford 4610SU Log Winch Setup #10  
Like in the picture posted, I have used the arch portion of the post hole digger to skid timber.. Using the arch with the top link and not the arm portion of the PHD...

Using a hook on a heavy quick chain link pinned to the point where the top link attaches to the arch.. This to lift the log, then using the fixed draw bar to pull the load has worked well for me..
Keep safe...