Ford 4610SU Log Winch Setup

/ Ford 4610SU Log Winch Setup
Like in the picture posted, I have used the arch portion of the post hole digger to skid timber.. Using the arch with the top link and not the arm portion of the PHD...

Using a hook on a heavy quick chain link pinned to the point where the top link attaches to the arch.. This to lift the log, then using the fixed draw bar to pull the load has worked well for me..
Keep safe...
I did just that today as a test, it works pretty well. Just need to come up with a winch solution now.

/ Ford 4610SU Log Winch Setup #12  
Looking to log some Scots Pine to use as sawn non-structural lumber for my house build. Need a quick and dirty log winch setup, can't afford a ~$8000 log skidding winch right now.

I'm looking to use the frame from my cheap County Line 3pt hole auger and mount a winch to the draw bar.

My question is, how cheap of a winch can I get away with? I'd like a winch with wireless remote so I can follow the log with a cant hook to maneuver it through obstacles.

I won't use the very end of the auger frame to lift the logs, most likely I'll mount a clevis to one of the available locations closer to the 3pt lift arms.

My tractor has iirc about 500 lbs of suitcase weights on the front, making the tractor weigh about 5500-6000 lbs. I plan to buy a ~9000-10000 lb winch.

I won't have a blade to push in the ground to stabilize the tractor when pulling the logs. The logs I will be dealing with will vary from ~16" to 22" at the butt end and 25ft long. Green, that size Scots pine should be around ~2500 lbs.

I intend to use the tractor battery to run the winch, so the tractor will be running with parking brakes applied when I'm skidding.

Has anyone done something similar? Thoughts? Would Synthetic rope be better/worse than wore rope? I'd like a winch with the guide rollers, those seem to only come on winches with wire rope.
Just look around and get a big ole pto winch off an oilfield truck or whatever. You could have it on your tractor in one evening. We just put a winch on my brothers tractor two weeks ago. We have a situation like yours. We have a skidder, but tractor is best. Cut your lengths before you skid them, lot easier. Pick up a big snatch block and hang on top of it to run cable through. One of them big winches will last half a dozen lifetimes on a tractor. They are around, just look for one.

/ Ford 4610SU Log Winch Setup #14  
I have one of them, most were run off a pto shaft from the transfer case of a truck, many were converted, and ran by a hydraulic motor...

They are sloooow, using one is about like watching paint dry... lol

SR

/ Ford 4610SU Log Winch Setup #15  
Don't bother with an electric winch on your tractor for skidding logs. It might work for getting yourelf unstuck, but there are a number of problems:

1. Duty Cycle: many electric winches have only a 5 or 10% duty cycle. This means you might run it for 90 seconds at full load, then need to let it cool for 13.5 minutes (10 % duty cycle). When you consider that under full load, it's probably only moving 6 or 7 FPM, that's a lot of sitting and wait to accomplish a 50' pull.
  2. Amp Draw: a 9000# winch draw in excess of 300 Amps at full load. Many compact tractors have a 40 or 50 Amp alternator (and they'll only get that rating at high RPMs). You are likely to ruin your battery under such abuse. Evan at half rated load, they are likely pulling 200+ Amps.
  3. Limited cable length (50' max is typical)
  4. They are SLOOOOOW
If I were in your shoes, and just could not swing a 3 Pt Hitch logging winch, I'd be looking at a Portable Capstan Winch, like the PCW5000. 100% duty cycle, no strain on the tractor's electrical system, length of pull is limited nly by the length of rope yo have available, pulls at 40 FPM (stil slow compared to a logging winch, but it beats the electric winches. As an added bonus, You still may fins you have a use for it even after you eventually get a 3 Pt Hitch logging winch

/ Ford 4610SU Log Winch Setup #16  
Don't bother with an electric winch on your tractor for skidding logs. It might work for getting yourelf unstuck, but there are a number of problems:

1. Duty Cycle: many electric winches have only a 5 or 10% duty cycle. This means you might run it for 90 seconds at full load, then need to let it cool for 13.5 minutes (10 % duty cycle). When you consider that under full load, it's probably only moving 6 or 7 FPM, that's a lot of sitting and wait to accomplish a 50' pull.
  2. Amp Draw: a 9000# winch draw in excess of 300 Amps at full load. Many compact tractors have a 40 or 50 Amp alternator (and they'll only get that rating at high RPMs). You are likely to ruin your battery under such abuse. Evan at half rated load, they are likely pulling 200+ Amps.
  3. Limited cable length (50' max is typical)
  4. They are SLOOOOOW
If I were in your shoes, and just could not swing a 3 Pt Hitch logging winch, I'd be looking at a Portable Capstan Winch, like the PCW5000. 100% duty cycle, no strain on the tractor's electrical system, length of pull is limited nly by the length of rope yo have available, pulls at 40 FPM (stil slow compared to a logging winch, but it beats the electric winches. As an added bonus, You still may fins you have a use for it even after you eventually get a 3 Pt Hitch logging winch
My 10,000# winch on my Jeep has 96 feet of useable length (last 5 coils stays on drum)... 100 ft (+/-) is typical on large winches...

/ Ford 4610SU Log Winch Setup #17  
Looking to log some Scots Pine to use as sawn non-structural lumber for my house build. Need a quick and dirty log winch setup, can't afford a ~$8000 log skidding winch right now.

I'm looking to use the frame from my cheap County Line 3pt hole auger and mount a winch to the draw bar.

My question is, how cheap of a winch can I get away with? I'd like a winch with wireless remote so I can follow the log with a cant hook to maneuver it through obstacles.

I won't use the very end of the auger frame to lift the logs, most likely I'll mount a clevis to one of the available locations closer to the 3pt lift arms.

My tractor has iirc about 500 lbs of suitcase weights on the front, making the tractor weigh about 5500-6000 lbs. I plan to buy a ~9000-10000 lb winch.

I won't have a blade to push in the ground to stabilize the tractor when pulling the logs. The logs I will be dealing with will vary from ~16" to 22" at the butt end and 25ft long. Green, that size Scots pine should be around ~2500 lbs.

I intend to use the tractor battery to run the winch, so the tractor will be running with parking brakes applied when I'm skidding.

Has anyone done something similar? Thoughts? Would Synthetic rope be better/worse than wore rope? I'd like a winch with the guide rollers, those seem to only come on winches with wire rope.
I wonder if you could use the post digger arch as the toplink for a box blade to help keep the tractor from sliding back when winching and still allow you to pickup the log when you are dragging it with your tractor.

/ Ford 4610SU Log Winch Setup #18  
I've used a setup like you describe on my tree farm for ten years; I've never had enough yarding to do to justify a Farmi. My boom is a little different with a cross bar at the base where I could bolt on a two inch receiver, but it works just like you anticipate. I would suggest a cheap Harbor Freight winch with steel cable (the winch comes with cable - a real cost saver). Also at harbor freight you can get cheap 2 inch receivers and a cheap 2 inch receiver cradle mount for the winch. Figure our how to attach a two inch receiver to your tow bar in pic number one. You're almost set. You'll need a snatch block for the end of the crane and a couple more to hang on trees to get logs around corners while you're yarding them in. Just be aware that using that set up is hard on your battery.

/ Ford 4610SU Log Winch Setup #19  
If you're worried about slipping backward, here's another solution I've used. Also cheap. Cheap logging winch

/ Ford 4610SU Log Winch Setup
I've used a setup like you describe on my tree farm for ten years; I've never had enough yarding to do to justify a Farmi. My boom is a little different with a cross bar at the base where I could bolt on a two inch receiver, but it works just like you anticipate. I would suggest a cheap Harbor Freight winch with steel cable (the winch comes with cable - a real cost saver). Also at harbor freight you can get cheap 2 inch receivers and a cheap 2 inch receiver cradle mount for the winch. Figure our how to attach a two inch receiver to your tow bar in pic number one. You're almost set. You'll need a snatch block for the end of the crane and a couple more to hang on trees to get logs around corners while you're yarding them in. Just be aware that using that set up is hard on your battery.
I have growing concerns about the tractor alternator & battery like others have described. So not ready to spend the ~$300 on a Harbor Freight winch just yet. I'm looking into possibly using an old truck alternator connected to the PTO on my tractor hooked to a separate 4D battery to power the winch. Just not sure I can fit all that equipment in the space I have on top of my drawbar. I'd need a gearbox to up the PTO RPM to something that gets close to max amp output of the alternator, I have a couple spares from a Ford 914 mower deck.

As usual, it's just turning into a much larger (time intensive) project.

Last edited: