Ford 6.0 diesel; the good, the bad, the ugly?

/ Ford 6.0 diesel; the good, the bad, the ugly? #1  

Jstpssng

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota L3301
I'm still kicking tires on ton trucks... mostly looking on Craigslist for something below the rust belt. My criteria is pretty liberal; manual shift, heavy 3/4, but preferably a ton truck. Right now I'm looking at mid-2000, as they are in my preferred price range for a truck which will probably see 5000 miles per for the next few years, then a lot less after that.

Currently I find this F350 rather interesting [FONT=Verdana,Geneva,sans-serif]https://atlanta.craigslist.org/eat/cto/d/monroe-2006-ford-f350-super-duty/7032105466.html.

I may consider taking a ride down next year (month), assuming they still have it. The 6.0 makes me nervous though, it seems like the Ford Diesels of that era had some growing pains as they were introduced to emissions.
[/FONT]

/ Ford 6.0 diesel; the good, the bad, the ugly? #2  
There are some great Youtube videos out there that spell out EXACTLY which engines to get and which to avoid. Some were truly disposable after a certain mileage.

/ Ford 6.0 diesel; the good, the bad, the ugly? #4  
Run from the 6.0L.

The cost to correct it's designed in issues will easily move you into the later generation of Powerstroke. Way to many issues.

/ Ford 6.0 diesel; the good, the bad, the ugly? #6  
Some people claim they can be fixed, but from what I’ve seen they’re pretty much disasters. The 6.4s were perhaps even worse. I’ll never own one. Get a 7.3 or a gas burner. For low mileage a gas burner is probably the better option. 7.3s are expensive.

/ Ford 6.0 diesel; the good, the bad, the ugly?
Some people claim they can be fixed, but from what I’ve seen they’re pretty much disasters. The 6.4s were perhaps even worse. I’ll never own one. Get a 7.3 or a gas burner. For low mileage a gas burner is probably the better option. 7.3s are expensive.

In other words keep looking, which is what I'm leaning toward. There's probably a reason why the price is only 6900 after all. I also agree about the gas (not 5.4) engines, they tend to be les money and are easier to swap if the need arises.

/ Ford 6.0 diesel; the good, the bad, the ugly? #8  
My only experience with a 6.0 was when they gave me and my partner a new ambulance with a 6.0 and 17 miles on it. It was gutless compared to the 7.3 it replaced with 100,000 miles. We asked for the old unit back but no dice. I was not there long enough for the mechanical issues that seem to plague it to show up.

/ Ford 6.0 diesel; the good, the bad, the ugly? #9  
If the 6.0 has not been bullet proofed it's a time bomb.

/ Ford 6.0 diesel; the good, the bad, the ugly? #10  
Sorry hit wrong key. You would be much better served with a 7.3 . Bulletprofing a 6.0 will run you 5 -7 g 's and its still no garrentee . Bullet proofing consist of EGR delete and oil cooler relocation . Problem with 6.0's is the EGR gets clogged which overheats oil cooler which overheats engine . The 6,0 has only 6 head bolts per cylinder and that with over heating leads to warped heads leaky head gaskets . Lots of people buy 6.0 cause you can get them cheap and they do produce more hp than a 7.3 But it's gona cost u . You can get a nicer newer truck with a 6.0 [ king ranch or Harley davadison edidition ] but with a time bomb for a engine what good is it.:drink: