Ford 8N or similar older types

/ Ford 8N or similar older types #91  
New member here! I have a question and looking for advice! We have bought a 5 acre plot and plan on building a house, pole barn, long gravel driveway. And maybe have a few animals. The land is almost perfectly flat as it is currently a farmers field so no serious grades. Im a gearhead car / truck guy, so I really like the older retro Ford 8Ns and they seem to have a good reputation. Im also an Aircraft Mechanic by trade, so Im not afraid of having to fix it if needed and also the simplicity of it also played a factor in this choice and plentiful parts from what I can see. I plan on mowing, grading (a spot for the pole barn and my driveway annually or more), plowing a small garden area maybe 1/4 acre, and using the PTO Auger but other than that, just general work. What are yalls opinions on these older tractors for general work? Thanks ahead of time fellas!
Keep or getting a 8 or 9 n I'm good working order can be the task and like another stated a rotary cutter can sure raise the front wheels in the air, personally I invested in something with a good sitting platform and lower to the ground (Mahindra emax25) it's a safer tractor and best I recall them old 8n were 25hp gas where this smaller emax is right about the same. It depends on if you want to invest in a diesel engine (I recomend) and four wheel drive will help keep garden rows straight ,haven't tried an auger on the subcompact tractors so don't know how well that works. We always had trouble with the rear axle leaking.and that single nut stripping out that holds the tire on so if you enjoy repairing tractors the 8n would be the one to start on. But if not an old 8n in good shape you'd do ok and it will do some fine jobs for ya. Has engine tractors there always is something to fix.

/ Ford 8N or similar older types #92  
I used eye bolts to hang two old brake rotors taken from a pickup on the front axle of my 8N. Really helped with keeping the nose down when mowing uphill, though it still feels underpowered going up hill. I may add another rotor or two. An 8N will do a lot but no front loader is a big minus. I wish new tractors used the old wheel setup where you could adjust the width of the wheels.

/ Ford 8N or similar older types #93  
If you want to row crop an acre or two get an 8 or 9n, or MF 135 or similar row crop tractor. But if you want to use it, not work on it, then get a new cut or scut. The 8n was a fine row crop tractor in 1950, but not really that good now. And diesel is way easier to deal with than gasoline in a tractor. Grandpa had one and my dad got rid of it soon after he was gone, wasnt big enough for even a small farm.

/ Ford 8N or similar older types #94  
I use IH utility tractors here. 340-u, 504-u, 574, they are great general tractors as long as you dont go hangin a loader on them----they then become useless!
IF you need a loader---get a skidloader or small crawler loader---way more usefull.
I have bigger tractors but rarely ever use them. also you could get and older loader/backhoe like an old Case 580ck. I have 2 of them and when you need to do serious work---grab one of them and go to work.
You would be disappointed with the N's ----trust me on that! lol!

/ Ford 8N or similar older types #95  
Buckeye76,

Only 5 acres, maybe some gardening on 1/4 acre, build a pole barn...

It sounds like you have a path to walk to find out what life on that property will really be like and what your needs will be.

I'd consider starting with something like this: TractorData.com Ford 1200 tractor information

You could always sell it for close to what you bought it for and it will do many tasks without being too big or breaking the bank.

I'm looking at possibly buying a Super A I found in NJ. It's a different animal than a modern CUT so my 3-pt. implements would not be usable. Mostly as a toy for me to tinker with but also for dedicated garden work on about 1/4 acre. My wife wants to start a flower business and she might find the A more appealing than the L3800.

Attachments

• Glassboro Super A.jpg
    Glassboro Super A.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 71
   / Ford 8N or similar older types #96  
I use IH utility tractors here. 340-u, 504-u, 574, they are great general tractors as long as you dont go hangin a loader on them----they then become useless!
IF you need a loader---get a skidloader or small crawler loader---way more usefull.
I have bigger tractors but rarely ever use them. also you could get and older loader/backhoe like an old Case 580ck. I have 2 of them and when you need to do serious work---grab one of them and go to work.
You would be disappointed with the N's ----trust me on that! lol!
The Case 580ck is good machine, but is a monster TLB.
I kinda doubt that the OP would want a machine that large.

/ Ford 8N or similar older types #97  
By KY3 Staff
Published: Jun. 9, 2021 at 6:50 AM CDT

NEAR AURORA, Mo. (KY3) -The Missouri State Highway Patrol says Burl Baum, 69, of Crane was killed in a tractor accident Tuesday afternoon.
The patrol says Baum fell off the tractor and was run over after it started to roll backwards.
The accident happened five miles south of Aurora on Farm Road 2012.
To report a correction or typo, please email digitalnews@ky3.com
Copyright 2021 KY3. All rights reserved.

While it doesn't say it is an 8N or 9N, you can bet it is one of those or some other ancient piece of crap without a proper seat, no seat belt, no ROPS. How would you fall off of a modern tractor? You would really have to work at it. Pretty easy to fall off of a metal seat pan at the back of an ancient antique POS tractor.

Something to think about for sure.

/ Ford 8N or similar older types #98  
Took a while, but internet research says it was an old Allis Chalmers. Likely one of the old tricycle tractors with a nice seat pan on the back of the tractor you can fall off of pretty easy. Death traps.

People will say, "I operated that tractor for decades and I am still here" Yeah I rode on the back of one of those exact same tractors at about age 13 or 14 while the neighbor kid hot rodded it down the road to the fishing hole. I survived. Tell that to the poor fellow from Crane who is now dead.

/ Ford 8N or similar older types #99  
With a 6k budget....I'd be looking to the 1980's. Ford 10-series like a 1710.....something like a deere 750/850/950/1050, Massey 230.

You can always find a little older, little newer, or bigger/smaller in your budget. But $6k opens up more doors. A typical "budget" for someone shopping for a N-series is usually like $1500-$2000. Which really limits you to just the N-series machines
Gotta agree with that reply. 6K will buy a lot of good older tractors. Those old Fords and Masseys are classics and will run forever..... but the following 10 to 30 years saw enormous improvements in the utility size tractors - many are available today in that price range.
Those aren't as classic, but they are still from an era that emphasized good long-lasting design for tools of all types.
Instead of Fords built in the early 1950s, take a look at JDs - or any of the major brands - built from the 1970s and 80s. You will get a lot better and more usable tractor for your money.

And here's a hint when buying a used tractor: It should start easily, all the controls should work fine, and it should do some work at 2/3 throttle for half an hour without anything important changing at all. That means no major change to the temperature, pressures, sound, transmission, clutch, brakes, or gauges. And no leaks.

If it will start easy and run like that for half an hour to an hour...., chances are very good that it will do exactly the same for the next ten or 15 years.

er...except during the depth of wintertime.... About half of the good old tractors need to be warmed up to start well when the temp goes below freezing. There are a variety of block heaters for that purpose. That's not a defect, just as long as it starts well from cold on a summer morning.
luck,
rScotty

Last edited:
   / Ford 8N or similar older types #100  
Took a while, but internet research says it was an old Allis Chalmers. Likely one of the old tricycle tractors with a nice seat pan on the back of the tractor you can fall off of pretty easy. Death traps.

People will say, "I operated that tractor for decades and I am still here" Yeah I rode on the back of one of those exact same tractors at about age 13 or 14 while the neighbor kid hot rodded it down the road to the fishing hole. I survived. Tell that to the poor fellow from Crane who is no

Gotta agree with that reply. 6K will buy a lot of good older tractors. Those old Fords and Masseys are classics and will run forever..... but the following 10 to 30 years saw enormous improvements in the utility size tractors - many are available today in that price range.
Those aren't as classic, but they are still from an era that emphasized good long-lasting design for tools of all types.
Instead of Fords built in the early 1950s, take a look at JDs - or any of the major brands - built from the 1970s and 80s. You will get a lot better and more usable tractor for your money.

And here's a hint when buying a used tractor: It should start easily, all the controls should work fine, and it should do some work at 2/3 throttle for half an hour without anything important changing at all. That means no major change to the temperature, pressures, sound, transmission, clutch, brakes, or gauges. And no leaks.

If it will start easy and run like that for half an hour to an hour...., chances are very good that it will do exactly the same for the next ten or 15 years.

er...except during the depth of wintertime.... About half of the good old old tractors need to be warmed up to start well when the temp goes below freezing. There are a variety of block heaters for that purpose. That's not a defect, just as log as it starts well from cold on a summer morning.
luck,
rScotty
Everyone here is essentially saying the same thing
Hopefully for his sake, the OP will take note!