Ford Trucks to Get 62 MPG?

/ Ford Trucks to Get 62 MPG? #2  
Seems impossible but anything can be done.

Do any of you remember about 10 years ago Ford had a prototype F-150 that essentially was a stock 5.4L with modified tranny and basically a well bladder tank? The bed was 6" shallower and under it had what was essentially a big well bladder tank. It held something like 50 gallons of ATF.

On the highway it got the same MPG as any other F-150 but around town it was getting something like 60 mpg. As you drove the trannys pump simply charged the bladder tank. When you left a stop light its pressure was used to get you rolling. Once the stored pressure was used up it simply charged it again for the next start. The other cool thing was it produced something like 800 FT TQ for that start so pulling a load such as a 10,000# boat up a ramp would be a walk in the park.

The tank was Stainless Steel and I think the fluid change intervals were 200,000 miles due to the large volume it held.

I always thought this was a interesting approach compared to what the others were doing with electric motors, batteries, ect.

They are bringing it back again but using a hydrogen motor instead of a gas powerplant. They are claiming 40mpg with this current setup.

http://content.usatoday.com/communi...rd-f-150-hydraulic-hybrid-could-get-40-mpg-/1

Chris

/ Ford Trucks to Get 62 MPG? #3  
So according to the article, Ford dumped Navistar for Cummins and Allison? Interesting...

/ Ford Trucks to Get 62 MPG? #4  
I'm not picky, I'll take one in white or silver - now where is the paperwork? lol

/ Ford Trucks to Get 62 MPG? #5  
Don't worry, the big oil companies will be sure it will never happen. They will make a nice donation to Ford and this thing will magically disappear. They had technology in the 60s that was producing ridiculous mpgs and what do you know, poof, gone. These articles always surface when gas hovers around the 4 dollar mark but never come to fruition. I will believe it when I see it sitting on a dealer's lot, ready to be sold to the public.

/ Ford Trucks to Get 62 MPG? #6  
Seems impossible but anything can be done.

Do any of you remember about 10 years ago Ford had a prototype F-150 that essentially was a stock 5.4L with modified tranny and basically a well bladder tank? The bed was 6" shallower and under it had what was essentially a big well bladder tank. It held something like 50 gallons of ATF.

On the highway it got the same MPG as any other F-150 but around town it was getting something like 60 mpg. As you drove the trannys pump simply charged the bladder tank. When you left a stop light its pressure was used to get you rolling. Once the stored pressure was used up it simply charged it again for the next start. The other cool thing was it produced something like 800 FT TQ for that start so pulling a load such as a 10,000# boat up a ramp would be a walk in the park.

The tank was Stainless Steel and I think the fluid change intervals were 200,000 miles due to the large volume it held.

I always thought this was a interesting approach compared to what the others were doing with electric motors, batteries, ect.

They are bringing it back again but using a hydrogen motor instead of a gas powerplant. They are claiming 40mpg with this current setup.

Non-electric Ford F-150 hydraulic hybrid could get 40 mpg - Drive On: A conversation about the cars and trucks we drive - USATODAY.com

Chris

What I remembered was an F-350 code named TONKA that when braking instead of brakes it used a hydrualic motor to charge a tank. Then on take off would use it as a launch assist. UPS also toyed with the same set-up. Man how time flies, it seems like only 2 years ago, but it was 9-10 year ago.

Ford Tonka Truck

FORD?S INNOVATIVE USE OF HYDRAULICS ADDRESSES LARGE TRUCK FUEL ECONOMY | Ford Motor Company Newsroom

/ Ford Trucks to Get 62 MPG? #7  
I dont think it will happen for any pickup... not just ford.

The aerodynamics of a pickup are atrocious. Until some streamlining of the body takes place and the image of a traditional pickup changes, 62 mpg will never happen.

I bet we'd see well over 30 right now if a company broke the mold and came up with a creative, more aerodynamic body style... even with our current engines. Even a simple tonneau cover will improve mileage.

/ Ford Trucks to Get 62 MPG? #8  
I think the author got a few medium duty truck facts mixed in with their light duty truck info. Alison, cummins? Not in the f-series!

/ Ford Trucks to Get 62 MPG? #9  
Sounds like the president and the state of california are ignoring the laws of physics, as usual...

I will be burried in my 6,000# 10MPG '73 Chevy and there is nothing anybody can do about it!

/ Ford Trucks to Get 62 MPG? #10  
What I remembered was an F-350 code named TONKA that when braking instead of brakes it used a hydrualic motor to charge a tank. Then on take off would use it as a launch assist. UPS also toyed with the same set-up. Man how time flies, it seems like only 2 years ago, but it was 9-10 year ago.

Ford Tonka Truck

FORD?S INNOVATIVE USE OF HYDRAULICS ADDRESSES LARGE TRUCK FUEL ECONOMY | Ford Motor Company Newsroom

I remember it also but they had it in the F-150 also and it got impressive numbers. Too bad it never came to market.

Only Tonka Truck I seen was in a Toby Keith video.

Chris