Forward Exit Horizontal Exhaust??

/ Forward Exit Horizontal Exhaust?? #21  
I like the underslung to rest exhaust on my old ford tractor...

That said all my others are front and I wear respirator when using all day and notice a difference but I have always been susceptible to dust, pollen, etc...

/ Forward Exit Horizontal Exhaust?? #22  
I have a MF 135 diesel with the exhaust exiting downward under the left rear axle. We’ve been using it for almost 50 years with a rotary cutter and a flail a bit. Unsure of what the issue might be using a flail. Other than getting ‘gassed’ when hooking up an implement. I do prefer the front horizontal exit on my Kubota for that reason.
My dad had an old one row 3 pt tobacco transplanter we used to set out tomato plants. Talk about getting gassed by the rear diesel exhaust. He claimed I couldn’t drive a straight row so I always got transplanter duty. He was no dummy. :sneaky:

Similar to this:
1618171434646.jpeg

Last edited:
   / Forward Exit Horizontal Exhaust?? #23  
Modern tractors of any size have a DPF, and the exhaust thus has virtually no odor.

Old junk smells, as do the low power newer models without a DPF.

Last edited:
   / Forward Exit Horizontal Exhaust?? #24  
My Kubota M62 exhaust exits forward and down, and will stir up a dust cloud in dry weather like we're having now. The dust is a real PITA, enough so I'm thinking about changing the exit angle to something more level. I don't notice the exhaust fumes, but it is a Tier IV engine.

/ Forward Exit Horizontal Exhaust?? #25  
My Deere 4320 compact came with a pipe that blew the exhaust out just aft of the front axle. I couldn't stand the fumes, so I bought a kit to convert it to vertical. It required cutting a hole in the hood, but it solved the problem and looks good. One downside is that you have to remember to remove the pipe before attempting to open the hood. It lifts off easily with no tools.

/ Forward Exit Horizontal Exhaust?? #26  
I had a Yanmar with a vertical exhaust, now I have an LS which exhausts to the side and exits forward. never smell anything.

/ Forward Exit Horizontal Exhaust?? #27  
OOSIK, in the Alamo Owners Manual in the "Hazards section" and its sub section of "FIRE PREVENTION GUIDELINES" in of the owner manual it says "DO NOT OPERATE mower on a tractor equipped with under frame exhaust" and that is all i know.

I wonder if the exhaust exits on the left rear side if the heat could effect the belt life of the fail mower?

I never hook up while my tractor is running.
My guess (and it is only a guess) is this has to do with older diesels not dealing with unburnt gases exiting with the exhaust causing an increased fire risk of these gases being collected under the fail mower box and the risk of a spark. Again purely a guess. On finish mowers and rotary cutters, these gases would likely go over the top of the mower.

/ Forward Exit Horizontal Exhaust?? #28  
Question as I only have a tractor with a vertical exhaust stack.

Do forward exiting horizontal exhaust system found on many cause the operator to breath in lots of exhaust fumes?
I have a Yanmar SC2400 that has the exhaust pointed out the front of the motor housing, the only time I even notice where the exhaust is coming from is when I start the engine in cold weather and I get a plume of smoke from the front. Once the engine warms up a bit I don't see or smell the exhaust.

The exhaust pipe is about 12" higher, approximately, than the front tires, and its protected from getting crap stuck in it.

/ Forward Exit Horizontal Exhaust?? #29  
Question as I only have a tractor with a vertical exhaust stack.

Do forward exiting horizontal exhaust system found on many cause the operator to breath in lots of exhaust fumes?
I have horizontal forward/side exiting (RK24) and side exiting (NH TD33). Neither has ever bothered me during operation. Both are on the left exiting the side engine panels.

/ Forward Exit Horizontal Exhaust?? #30  
Thanks

I am tractor shopping and the reason I asked is the owners manual for my new to me Alamo SHD96 Flail mower says one cannot have an under tractor exhaust that exits to the rear.

Some of the tractors I've looked at have underslung exhaust systems, but I think they could be reversed and run forward. However, I have not run a tractor with a horizontal forward exiting exhaust.
I have a John Deere 1025R that I put an upright pipe on with a flex cap on top and I do have the surround cabin. Before I fixed it up - the exhaust would be down and forward - which heated up the front snowblower in the winter and made quite a mess of re-frozn snow packed in the blower. During the summer with the doors off - I have no problems with the exhaust coming to me.

Attachments

• IMG_6236.JPG
    IMG_6236.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 100
  • IMG_6237.JPG
    IMG_6237.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 101