Found a coyote, I think

/ Found a coyote, I think
I just got the results from a second DNA test on Mica. Here are the two test results side by side.

As mentioned, I have no idea how accurate these tests are and Mica looks much more like a German Shepherd than a Border Collie or Cattle Dog. I've also added a picture of her at 4.5 months.

She is turning out to be a very sweet and intelligent dog.

Attachments

• Mica at 4.5 months-2.png
    Mica at 4.5 months-2.png
    5 MB · Views: 109
  • Mica DNA tests.png
    Mica DNA tests.png
    342.2 KB · Views: 107
   / Found a coyote, I think #782  
It’s tough to tell by looking, my daughter had that done and the results weren’t what you’d guess

/ Found a coyote, I think
It’s tough to tell by looking, my daughter had that done and the results weren’t what you’d guess
Beautiful story. And now it turns out Mica is very similar to Sandy. Further evidence that coyotes are just basically wild dogs.

/ Found a coyote, I think #784  
Don't mix up DNA and genes, you could have much more DNA of something but its the gene of a small portion of DNA that came out although the DNA is there for the future generation its the selective genes that dictates physical traits. Some genes are dominant so they will come out more dominantly even if its is a small part of its DNA. So she could get the hair type from the terrier, the main color of the golden and the patches of the colie.

/ Found a coyote, I think #785  
I recall seeing a documentary that studied the difference between domestic dogs and their wild counterparts. The conclusion I remember, was that domestic dogs have evolved genetically as a companion to man, and it enables them to anticipate various situations and live harmoniously...coyotes and wolves not so, they still retain their independence. Sorry, no citation.

/ Found a coyote, I think #788  
Wonderful insightful story about Sandy.

My coyote story;

I few years ago I was cutting a small field on the tractor when what I thought what was a dog just sitting and watching me, it showed no fear. As I cut closer the critter stood up but it did not run and turned out to be a three legged coyote.
When I finished cutting and headed back to the house he was still sitting there watching me.
In this field there are lots of field mice and it appeared the coyote was just waiting for me to finish up so he could fetch his dinner. I had never seen this coyote on my property before or since.
I know they are here but you very seldom see one.
I have often wondered how he lost his leg and then managed to survive and why in the world would he not run when he saw me unless someone in the area was throwing him scraps and he came to not fear people.

No, I would not shoot a coyote just because I had a chance although I know people that would.

/ Found a coyote, I think #789  
Wonderful insightful story about Sandy.

My coyote story;

I few years ago I was cutting a small field on the tractor when what I thought what was a dog just sitting and watching me, it showed no fear. As I cut closer the critter stood up but it did not run and turned out to be a three legged coyote.
When I finished cutting and headed back to the house he was still sitting there watching me.
In this field there are lots of field mice and it appeared the coyote was just waiting for me to finish up so he could fetch his dinner. I had never seen this coyote on my property before or since.
I know they are here but you very seldom see one.
I have often wondered how he lost his leg and then managed to survive and why in the world would he not run when he saw me unless someone in the area was throwing him scraps and he came to not fear people.

No, I would not shoot a coyote just because I had a chance although I know people that would.

I've seen various animals act more confident around tractor equipment than around a person on foot.

I'm not too surprised that it could survive with three legs.

I used to board a horse at a local stable. One day, I saw a deer walking along a tree line, and it was missing about half of one front leg. She looked pathetic rearing up every stride just to take another step. I thought that it would be more humane to put her out of her misery, but it wasn't my place, so I let it be.

The following spring, I saw what I think was the same deer in the same place with the same gait. The only difference was that she had a fawn walking behind her. She was obviously surviving and doing pretty well with three legs.