Freewheeling Hydrostatic drive

/ Freewheeling Hydrostatic drive #1  

Eric_Phillips

Platinum Member
Tractor
FarmTrac 270DTC
Is there any trick in turing the shaft that is supposed to switch between freewheeling and drive on a hydrostatic drive? I have a Ferris ProCut 32 and the hydraulic pump belt gave out just after my wife drove the mower out of the barn. I would like to get the mower back in the barn but I need the drive wheels to freewheel. I found the shaft on the pump that needs to be turned. I have tried turning it with channel locks and locking pliers and it won't budge. It does have whole in the shaft the size of a #8bolt. I put one of those in and just bent the bolt. The manual just shows a diagram but does not describe having to do anything special to turn the shaft. Is there any trick to turning these shafts or is this one just stuck?

/ Freewheeling Hydrostatic drive #2  
Do you have an FEL on that FarmTrac? Pick up the rear and push it in the barn. Sorry, I have no idea how to freewheel a Ferris.

/ Freewheeling Hydrostatic drive
That is a good idea but the ProCut is a 3-wheel model with he deck out front. The drive wheels are in the middle between the deck and the single rear steer wheel. If I had room in the barn to pull it in I might try it. Unfortunately I don't have enough room so I would have to push it on the single steering wheel.

But your suggestion did get me thinking some more. Where is sits I can get the tractor all around it. I could lift the drive wheels and get some stands underneath them to get the mower high enough to work under. Then prop some wood under the deck to hold it up and rest the tractor bucket on the seat to keep the mower from tilting forward.

/ Freewheeling Hydrostatic drive #4  
Do the tow valves need to pulled out vs turned. I have seen some that get pushed in, some that turn, some that pull out. I would try pushing or pulling on the tow valve to see if they move.

/ Freewheeling Hydrostatic drive #6  
According to this, it's suppose to turn counter-clockwise.

Ferris-Push Mode.JPG

/ Freewheeling Hydrostatic drive #7  
Maybe it's locked under some sort of hydraulic pressure? Maybe it's just stuck. I'd try cracking some of the hydraulic fittings on the pump, to let off some pressure on the pump if there is any.

/ Freewheeling Hydrostatic drive #8  
So you screw it out. I need to find this function on my mowers in case I need it.

/ Freewheeling Hydrostatic drive #9  
So you screw it out. I need to find this function on my mowers in case I need it.
No. Typically it's just an on-off valve. On my old Grasshopper and on my new Bad Boy, they are pull valves with clips to hold them out.