Front end loader Q's

/ Front end loader Q's #1  

e.myers

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L4400 4WD Hydrostat
If you knew the heaviest thing you'd be lifting with your FEL was a bucketful of Sand Clay, would you even consider adding ballast to the rear tires?

When would the wheelbase of the tractor become important for this type of weight?

If I could get the same loader size of a larger tractor on a smaller HP tractor (spec'd from factory), could I assume that for moving the clay I'm describing, the tractor would not have any more difficulty?

Where is being down on horsepower going to affect my front end loader work?

/ Front end loader Q's #2  
If you knew the heaviest thing you'd be lifting with your FEL was a bucketful of Sand Clay, would you even consider adding ballast to the rear tires?

No, but I certainly would have something heavy on the 3PH.

I am not exactly sure what your asking with the other questions?

/ Front end loader Q's #3  
My farm is primarily a clay type soil and a full bucket can definitely get my unloaded rear tires light and squirrely. Especially if there is any moisture in the soil.
I have a Kioti DK45SE tractor with a 6 foot wide bucket.

When would the wheelbase of the tractor become important for this type of weight?

If I could get the same loader size of a larger tractor on a smaller HP tractor (spec'd from factory), could I assume that for moving the clay I'm describing, the tractor would not have any more difficulty?

/ Front end loader Q's #4  

Most Front End Loaders (FEL) are made for a specific frame size and weight. Putting a larger size. For example the kubota L2400 and 3400 both take the same size LA463 FEL. When you move to the larger L4400 it takes the LA703. The are not interchangeable.

/ Front end loader Q's #5  
Sand is pretty heavy . My loader tractor has loaded tires and wheel weights , makes for a much safer machine . I do not need a implement on the hitch for loader work , but a rear blade is usually on it also .

/ Front end loader Q's #6  
As noted, not necessearily. But even with loaded rears you could find that more weight would help. Half of a 55 gallon drum filled with concrete and a linkage drawbar cast into it can really anchor the rear end to the ground. If you have FWD, and use it with a light rear end, you could experience premature wearout as it would be the prime mover of your load vs the rear providing the driving forces.

Always is a factor as the moment about the front or rear wheels would be increased or decreased with changes in wheelbase. The longer wheelbase would get by with less rear end weight, theoretically.

No, it could have a lot more difficulty due to lesser inherent weight and power.

Where is being down on horsepower going to affect my front end loader work?[/QUOTE]
It will impact virtually every aspect of loader work from entering the pile to transporting the loaded bucket. Horsepower X distance = work. Vary the variables results in more or less work, theoretically.

/ Front end loader Q's #7  
You didn't specify whether the tractor is 2WD or 4WD. A loader with 2WD and unloaded tires is about useless. If the terrain is hilly, it's plain dangerous (most tractors only have brakes on the rear wheels and if there is not enough weight on the rear wheels, you have no brakes).

Even with 4wd, you would be putting all the traction load on your front drive system, which typically is not as strong as the rear drive system.

Loaded tires will also help you push into the dirt.

On my small loader (Kubota B21 TLB), I only notice the horsepower limitation when going up the steep driveway. It's slow. For normal loader operations, I don't run at full throttle. For the bigger tractor (Kubota M5040), loader operations are usually at low rpm, but it's a manual transmission.

/ Front end loader Q's
Interesting stuff!
Could try without the loaded tires, but going to get them loaded anyway based on what I'm hearing. Will be rolling up and down some pretty steep jumps (not necessarily over), so it's pretty clear how the extra ballast could be beneficial.

Interesting on the half drum concrete idea. You think that would be heavier than a medium duty tiller (734 lbs).

Hadn't thought about the additional wear and tear on the front tires... probably the front end in general.

Starting to get a handle on how the HP relates to the material now.

Thanks everyone.

/ Front end loader Q's #9  
Interesting stuff!
Could try without the loaded tires, but going to get them loaded anyway based on what I'm hearing. Will be rolling up and down some pretty steep jumps (not necessarily over), so it's pretty clear how the extra ballast could be beneficial.

Interesting on the half drum concrete idea. You think that would be heavier than a medium duty tiller (734 lbs).

Hadn't thought about the additional wear and tear on the front tires... probably the front end in general.

Starting to get a handle on how the HP relates to the material now.

Thanks everyone.

Keep in mind that adding weight to the 3 point hitch will remove weight from the front axle and will reduce stress and wear in that area. the rears tire fluid loaded are highly recommended along with the rear weights on the 3 point hitch.

/ Front end loader Q's #10  
You didn't specify whether the tractor is 2WD or 4WD. A loader with 2WD and unloaded tires is about useless. If the terrain is hilly, it's plain dangerous (most tractors only have brakes on the rear wheels and if there is not enough weight on the rear wheels, you have no brakes).Even with 4wd, you would be putting all the traction load on your front drive system, which typically is not as strong as the rear drive system. Loaded tires will also help you push into the dirt.
On my small loader (Kubota B21 TLB), I only notice the horsepower limitation when going up the steep driveway. It's slow. For normal loader operations, I don't run at full throttle. For the bigger tractor (Kubota M5040), loader operations are usually at low rpm, but it's a manual transmission.
Interesting stuff!Could try without the loaded tires, but going to get them loaded anyway based on what I'm hearing. Will be rolling up and down some pretty steep jumps (not necessarily over),
so it's pretty clear how the extra ballast could be beneficial.
Interesting on the half drum concrete idea. You think that would be heavier than a medium duty tiller (734 lbs).Starting to get a handle on how the HP relates to the material now.Thanks everyone.
It's just plain Dumb and Dangerous operatin a loader with out proper counter balance.