Front end loader Q's

/ Front end loader Q's #21  
Yep, I think most of us took physics....understand moment of force, etc....

We DO HOPE that the center of mass stays between the front and rear axles.

If in front of the front axle, it takes nose dive.

If behind the rear, it does a wheelie.

Interesting point is that this point moves all around under the tractor as you lift stuff of various weights to various heights, move up and down hills, across hills (not recommended for steep angles), take curves at various speeds, raise/lower implements on 3ph, hit bumps/holes/bounce with wheels, etc..

This is why it is impossible to define a single "safe" angle for working on slopes.... your center of mass WILL vary!

/ Front end loader Q's #22  
I think most missunderstood what I was suggesting. Take a few hundred lbs and add it to the back, right on the 3pt bar does the tractor{no FEL} front start comming off the ground{I would hope not}. Now add the FEL with the same amount of weight{few hundred lbs} This brings the weight back towards the center of the tractor or even closer to the front because of how the FEL sticks out. Very simple physics here. Your getting stuck on the idea of weight being the same AND at the same distance from the front and back axles. Once the weight changes or the distance then the balance {weight shifting} moves either towards the front or the rear depending on what is being done.

You said (in a previous post): "Adding even more weight (to the 3PH) that close to the rear will not take weight off the front." and "Take a few hundred lbs and add it to the back, right on the 3pt bar does the tractor{no FEL} front start comming off the ground{I would hope not}.

It definitely does transfer weight off the front axle to the rear axle. Do the measurements and work the math and you can get exactly how much weight is transfered. There is no misunderstanding on my part.

You said: "Your getting stuck on the idea of weight being the same AND at the same distance from the front and back axles."

I have no idea where you get that impression since I never said anything whatsoever about amount of weight or distances of it from axles.

You said:"Once the weight changes or the distance then the balance {weight shifting} moves either towards the front or the rear depending on what is being done."

It appears you do understand what's happening...but your statements contradict themselves.

/ Front end loader Q's #23  
This was aimed more towards just adding weight to the tires. Once again tractor with no FEL rear tires weighted no problem. Now add a FEL and then add a heavy load the weight balance shifts towards the front axle. So even though a tractor may not tip the balance will shift onto the front axle and because the FEL sticks out over the front axle this means it is trying to pick up the back end of the tractor.

Simply put take a tractor with no weights or weighted tires set it on a scale. Now add the FEL still seems allright now lift the FEL and start adding weight slowly the weight transfers towards the front axle Until the back starts to lift off the ground. Now start adding weight to the back tires. The back will come down but at the same time the front will also get heavier. Don't believe me that's fine, go to a truck scale and watch the boys move the axles around on the truck and trailer trying to average out the weight.

First, let us ignore any effects tire "squish" might have by saying our tractor has steel wheels. Let's add 500 lbs of weight directly to the back axle by changing to a set of steel wheels that are 500 lbs heavier. Your scale will show the rear axle increased in weight by the 500 lbs added so where does your extra front end weight come from? Out of thin air?
No change in weight will happen at the front axle because there is no leverage applied to any weight anywhere.

/ Front end loader Q's #24  
Mace Canute; I believe we're on the same page my point as simply as I can think of to put it. A tractor{with steel tires if ya want} lets say weighs 5,000LB now add 500 lbs of WHEEL weights just to the rear. Now the tractor weighs 5500lbs. The front did not become lighter because the weight was added straight to the rear wheel{not sticking out the back}. Now add a FEL and lets pick up a pallet that weighs 1000lbs. Now we have a tractor weighing in at over 6500lbs{don't forget the weight of the FEL}. As the FEL leaves the ground the weight starts transfering through the tractor towards the front. If we had tried to pick up the pallet without the R weight before, lets just say the back wheels would have come off the ground. Now with the extra weight added to the back the wheels did not leave the ground BUT they also did not make the tractor lighter. So as I said before by adding weight to the back of a tractor it does not make the front lighter unless the weight is sticking out the back. BUT as soon as the front becomes loaded with a FEL the weight shifts back towrds the front. FEL loaders do stick out fairly far this is why I said "Know the limitations of the machine" before over loading. The way some posted here it sounded like you could just keep adding weight to the rear and carry 5000lbs{FEL} on a tractor. because the front would just be getting lighter as long as weights were used in the back.

TO ALL I am sorry if my posts were confusing that was not my intention. I just thought those of us with experience should not be giving misguided loading options to those that have never ran or are brand new owners of a machine.

/ Front end loader Q's #25  
Yep, I think most of us took physics....understand moment of force, etc....

We DO HOPE that the center of mass stays between the front and rear axles.

If in front of the front axle, it takes nose dive.

If behind the rear, it does a wheelie.

Interesting point is that this point moves all around under the tractor as you lift stuff of various weights to various heights, move up and down hills, across hills (not recommended for steep angles), take curves at various speeds, raise/lower implements on 3ph, hit bumps/holes/bounce with wheels, etc..

This is why it is impossible to define a single "safe" angle for working on slopes.... your center of mass WILL vary!

Thank you nicely put, sometimes a few words are all that is needed.

Last edited:
   / Front end loader Q's #26  
First, let us ignore any effects tire "squish" might have by saying our tractor has steel wheels. Let's add 500 lbs of weight directly to the back axle by changing to a set of steel wheels that are 500 lbs heavier. Your scale will show the rear axle increased in weight by the 500 lbs added so where does your extra front end weight come from? Out of thin air?
No change in weight will happen at the front axle because there is no leverage applied to any weight anywhere.

Did you even read the post or just your highlighted parts of that post? read what I wrote without twisting, please!

/ Front end loader Q's #27  
NEVER use a FEL without some ballast in the back, at least some in the rear wheels for light loads. What you're talking about IS NOT a light load.

My 1400 # tractor has a FEL that'll take 1/3 yard of material. It needs the rear wheels loaded plus about 300-400 # on the 3 ph to feel stable.

Ralph

/ Front end loader Q's #28  
It didnt take more than a minute after i got this tractor and started to dig that i realized 2wd and loaders just dont work well. Since i was told to use 4wd only when you need it, i tried to start out with 2wd. All i had to do was flip that 4wd lever and all was well. The rear tires are loaded and i was digging in sandy soil with some clay in it. If you get a 2wd tractor with a loader your going to be very dissapointed in the long run.

This is a jd1070, which was i belive 39 horsepower with 35hp pto. I moved a hill with it then sold it and bought a 24x30 shop, now i need to buy another tractor to mantain the property, DOH

Attachments

• Picture 035.jpg
    Picture 035.jpg
    929 KB · Views: 96
  • Picture 031.jpg
    Picture 031.jpg
    912.2 KB · Views: 90
   / Front end loader Q's #29  
It didnt take more than a minute after i got this tractor and started to dig that i realized 2wd and loaders just dont work well.

LOL. Yep! Fortunately you had 4wd in reserve. :)

/ Front end loader Q's #30  
20_20, you make inaccurate statements, then when the mistake is pointed out, your own rebuttal proves your original statement to be inaccurate. I give up.