Front Wheel Brakes?

/ Front Wheel Brakes? #1  

Indian MC

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota B2601
On my B2601 there is a clip on the two Brake pedals. Is this for Front and Rear Brakes? ( lock them both together )
I have the Machine off the ground and while applying both pedals there is no front Braking.
Lock both pedals down. The front wheels spin freely by hand.
Phoned home to the wife. She comes outside and muscled both brake pedals down with her foot and the front wheels show no resistance at all.
What are these two pedals for? Left and Right Rears?

/ Front Wheel Brakes? #2  
One pedal for right rear. One pedal for left rear. It has no front brakes.

/ Front Wheel Brakes? #3  
No tractor has front brakes. Tractors have rear brakes only. If you are in 4-WD, you have limited braking applied to the front wheels through the transmission linkage to the rear wheels.

Brakes are separate, left and right rear wheels, so you can turn your tractor within its length, like a tank. Such turning works best with gear transmission.

Take time to read your Operator's Manual.

/ Front Wheel Brakes? #4  
Only time you'll have front wheel "braking" is when in 4wd. And then it's not due to there being brake assemblies on the front axle. It's due to the rear driveline and front driveline being locked together. Rear brake application is then also transferred to front axle thru this driveline. Always recommended to use 4wd when going downhill in steep terrain for this reason.

/ Front Wheel Brakes? #5  
Off topic, but front brake related...

My brother in law tells of an old guy he knew that rigged up front brakes on an old 8N type tractor he used for brush hogging his steep hills. Know little more than what I just shared, would love to see how he did it, what tires he used, etc.

I've seen the hills he supposedly used it on, I wouldn't mow them, and some of you have seen pictures of what extreme I'm willing to go, to put the hills into perspective.

/ Front Wheel Brakes? #6  
Off topic, but front brake related...

My brother in law tells of an old guy he knew that rigged up front brakes on an old 8N type tractor he used for brush hogging his steep hills. Know little more than what I just shared, would love to see how he did it, what tires he used, etc.

I've seen the hills he supposedly used it on, I wouldn't mow them, and some of you have seen pictures of what extreme I'm willing to go, to put the hills into perspective.

He must have found an auto front hub that would fit the tractor spindle??

What's that saying that ends in "the Mother of Invention"???? Can't remember the first part???

/ Front Wheel Brakes?
Only time you'll have front wheel "braking" is when in 4wd. And then it's not due to there being brake assemblies on the front axle. It's due to the rear driveline and front driveline being locked together. Rear brake application is then also transferred to front axle thru this driveline. Always recommended to use 4wd when going downhill in steep terrain for this reason.

Thanks, when the Tractor was delivered I asked why the clip locking the two brake pedals. The delivery person said all brakes locked and to leave the clip attached to both pedals.
I assumed front & rear. I pulled the front wheel off and noticed there is no brakes up front.

/ Front Wheel Brakes? #8  
The pedal lock is more of a safety devices than anything else. I rarely lock mine, unless I need the maximum parking brake application on a hill, etc. Manufacturers lawyers recommend locking them to avoid the swerve to one side that would happen should you hit only one brake at higher speeds on the road... I have trained my foot to cover both or left or right as needed, by feel.

/ Front Wheel Brakes? #9  
Thanks, when the Tractor was delivered I asked why the clip locking the two brake pedals. The delivery person said all brakes locked and to leave the clip attached to both pedals.
I assumed front & rear. I pulled the front wheel off and noticed there is no brakes up front.

The pedal lock is so regardless where you put your foot on the pedal both rear wheel brakes are applied. This is especially important if hauling the tractor and using the brakes locked on. With HST tractors they sometimes don't have a pedal lock mechanism. Not sure on your tractor.

Most brake pedals are configured close together so it's easy to apply brakes to both rear tires at the same time by simply centering your foot across both pedals.

I NEVER operate my tractor with the pedals locked together. If I want both wheels to brake I place my foot centered on the pedals. If I want a specific wheel to brake I shift the location of my foot.

There are operators that NEVER operate their tractor with the pedals unlocked. That's personal preference. Your owners manual may tell you to lock the pedals together. Your personal choice/use may vary. :)

/ Front Wheel Brakes? #10  
There ya go. Two opinions, worded differently, basically telling you the same thing.

Again, you will develop your own style as Greg and I have. :)