frozen clutch

/ frozen clutch #61  
sometimes the unsafe way is the best way to stay within the budget

Is the budget money, or time? As the saying goes, "if you think doing it right is expensive, try the cost of an accident!". I've done it both ways. After the accident, and 100 nights in hospital for it, doing it right seemed less costly on the whole - my time considered.

I have rebuilt and restored so many things, from cars to machine shop equipment, a tractor, a mower, a blower, a tiller, an excavator, ATV's, airplanes, and cut a lot of corners to save money over the years. Sometimes it worked. Other times I sat head in hands looking at it, thinking to myself: "If I'd done it right, I wouldn't be doing it again - at twice the cost!".

Your view is typical when people inter conversations about hobbies they have no interest in.

Well... I wouldn't say no interest in, I've been building things out of other things for 50 years. More to the point, letting alone whether the repair worked or not, was doing whatever it was safe? As a 28 year volunteer fire fighter, I went to a lot of scenes, where as I ran up to the patient/victim, I was thinking to myself: "Yup, I've got an idea how this happened...". Then I was a patient myself, and saw it all from the other side - and had a lot of time to think about it.

If you can restore an old machine out of a sense of respect and appreciation for that machine, I could not be more happy and supportive. But consider saving yourself the frustration of wishing you'd done it more safely, or with a little more care, so the result of your work was a complete success the first time.

/ frozen clutch #62  
I did read an account of someone who wanted to pull out a stump and so put a chain on it and his small tractor, got back and ran for it full acceleration. Chain snapped when he hit the end, and the flying piece killed him. So, if you do that stupid thing, make sure it can't get you. Easiest way is DON'T.

/ frozen clutch #63  
I have rebuilt and restored so many things, from cars to machine shop equipment, a tractor, a mower, a blower, a tiller, an excavator, ATV's, airplanes, and cut a lot of corners to save money over the years.

Well... I wouldn't say no interest in, I've been building things out of other things for 50 years.
Yeeesss I know,and through the power of a keyboard anyone can throw 100+mph fastballs and 70mph changeups that break sharply in and down 5 feet from the plate.

/ frozen clutch #64  
So, I have read all the posts on this thread and so far it appears that you have not yet tried any of the suggestions. Maybe I'm wrong. Anyway, as I said, my Yanmar clutch broke loose just by driving the tractor. Driving the tractor was not unsafe and was easy to do. It did not risk damage to the tractor or myself. As was mentioned before start the tractor in neutral to warm the engine up so it is easy to start. Then with the clutch pressed start the tractor in the highest gear possible and then drive it as fast as possible. Uphill if you can. Press and release the clutch while driving, but mostly keep the clutch pressed. Use the brakes to load the clutch. Run the throttle from fast to slow and back to fast a bunch of times while driving. It is important to keep loading the clutch. After you have actually tried something let us know if it worked.
Eric

/ frozen clutch
So, I have read all the posts on this thread and so far it appears that you have not yet tried any of the suggestions. Maybe I'm wrong. Anyway, as I said, my Yanmar clutch broke loose just by driving the tractor. Driving the tractor was not unsafe and was easy to do. It did not risk damage to the tractor or myself. As was mentioned before start the tractor in neutral to warm the engine up so it is easy to start. Then with the clutch pressed start the tractor in the highest gear possible and then drive it as fast as possible. Uphill if you can. Press and release the clutch while driving, but mostly keep the clutch pressed. Use the brakes to load the clutch. Run the throttle from fast to slow and back to fast a bunch of times while driving. It is important to keep loading the clutch. After you have actually tried something let us know if it worked.
Eric
I haven't really done anything lately i have been so busy and when I do have time its very little

Last edited:
   / frozen clutch #66  
So, I have read all the posts on this thread and so far it appears that you have not yet tried any of the suggestions.<snip-----snip> After you have actually tried something let us know if it worked.
Eric
To retain one's sanity here at TBN,patience is paramount. If the couple times someone asked how to remove an oil drain plug is any indication this clutch could easily carry us into the next decade. ☺️

/ frozen clutch #67  
🙄😂😂🤣🤣🙃

/ frozen clutch #68  
Welcome Blake. Assuming you mean clutch won't release when pedal is depressed. So that you know what caused this,the clutch disk is stuck to friction surface of pressure plate by rust. Some people pull a plow while holding pedal down and others load clutch in other ways. If the operator is highly experienced operating tractors,that works. It is dangerous for casual operators so i reccomend a more time consuming but much safer method. Start by putting shifter in high gear,tie pedal down into fully depressed position then using a rear wheel rock tractor hard as you can. Leave pedal tied down and sometimes plate will pop loose in a few days but each time you walk by,rock tractor to see if has released and if not,rocking might cause it to. If you run out of patience,leave pedal tied down and remove inspection plate beneath flywheel if tractor has a plate. If no plate,remove starter and work through hole to pry plate loose. DO NOT PUT ANY KIND OF OIL<SOLVENT OR ANYTHING ELSE ON OR NEAR CLUTCH.
Thank you, thank you, thank you. I followed your advice (small Kubota: L3400, that had sat for 2 years) and it worked perfectly! The clutch released on the third day. (A miracle resurrection!) I had previously wondered why Kubota had that little spring/pin thing on the clutch pedal - why would someone want to run the engine with the clutch pedal locked down? Now I know what it's for. And will from now on ALWAYS use it whenever the tractor is parked. Thanks so much!

/ frozen clutch #69  
You are welcome Chuck and we thank you for taking time to let us know what worked. Unfortunatly none of the people who try the "chain it to a tree and put the pedal to the metal" trick survive to say whether clutch freed up or not. Now that you found us,hang around and share some of your experiences or tell some jokes. As long as it doesn't involve preachers or politicians anything go's.

/ frozen clutch #70  
We still don't know if the OP had success.