Frustrating 1020

/ Frustrating 1020 #11  
relevant post maybe?

/ Frustrating 1020
It sure does sound like it is starving for fuel. A good test is to take it out to the road and drive up a slight incline for awhile. If it starts out strong and then slows.... and then if you let it idle for awhile and it does it again.... then that generally means the fuel filter is not passing enough fuel. What is happening is when you use up the reserve in the filter it just loses power becuase it isn't getting fuel fast enough.

If so, go through that fuel feed system again. Start with the fuel cap vent and then all the way through the filter and to the input to the injection pump. You may have to replace some hoses and disassemble the fuel filter to look inside. If it is starving for fuel, the problem is in that fuel feed somewhere.

rScotty
Thanks for the suggestions, I will be back at that location later today or tomorrow morning a nd will try this.

/ Frustrating 1020
Going back over all of the great suggestions I went back over everything I could again without getting in to far past my basic knowledge and the only issue I came across was the fuel cap not venting very well. After fixing that I removed the mower and took it for a run down the road at different speeds and ranges to play with it a bit. It seemed to run good but on my return to my lot it all of a sudden "woke up" and was like a new tractor again. Was there some air in the fuel supply somewhere, was there debris from the rotten fuel line blocking a passage or who knows what.
I reinstalled the mower and tried mowing in different lengths of grass all with good results.
Thanks for all of the shared knowledge, looking forward to my next lesson!

/ Frustrating 1020 #14  
In retrospect ... it could still have been an air obstruction OR a fuel flow obstruction of some kind. Probably RScotty is right in thinking it was a fuel flow issue but I still think it could have been an airflow issue. We may never know.
Do keep us updated if the disease comes back for sure. Good luck with it.

/ Frustrating 1020
Just like a bad rash, my 1020 performance problems came back after a few weeks and had me scratching my head like a dog with fleas.
It had been running fine but became very hard to start, and after 2 or 3 hard starts, it finally wouldn't run. My mechanic was now back and figured an air lock and had it going again in only a few minutes - until the next day when it wouldn't start again. My mechanic was now in my shed scratching his head, and after a forced start with starting fluid we began the bleeding process again at all points while it was running. Turns out that the fuel injector on cylinder 1 was stuck open allowing the engine to force air back into the system. All of the injectors were removed, sent away to be rebuilt. After re-assembly this little MF is running like the engineers designed it to with the power and stamina that it should have. Sorry for the long post but happy endings take time!

/ Frustrating 1020 #16  
Just like a bad rash, my 1020 performance problems came back after a few weeks and had me scratching my head like a dog with fleas.
It had been running fine but became very hard to start, and after 2 or 3 hard starts, it finally wouldn't run. My mechanic was now back and figured an air lock and had it going again in only a few minutes - until the next day when it wouldn't start again. My mechanic was now in my shed scratching his head, and after a forced start with starting fluid we began the bleeding process again at all points while it was running. Turns out that the fuel injector on cylinder 1 was stuck open allowing the engine to force air back into the system. All of the injectors were removed, sent away to be rebuilt. After re-assembly this little MF is running like the engineers designed it to with the power and stamina that it should have. Sorry for the long post but happy endings take time!
Good Afternoon Grandpa W,
I have owned the big brother to your tractor since 2004. I have the Massey 1040 4WD.I am just wondering if your mechanic checked your fuel injection pump ? On my tractor, probably similar to yours, the pump has three threaded screws on the side of the pump. The bottom screw is to allow you to drain the oil , the middle screw is like a site window that you fill the pump to that level. The top screw is where you put the oil in from. You might try checking that if you have not already !

I bought the tractor with just over 1300 hrs and my hour meter broke about 5 years ago with just over 1700 hours. Im guessing I am closing in on 2000 hours, and the tractor still is running fine.

Glad to hear you got her up and running well again !

Attachments

• IMG_3233.jpeg
    IMG_3233.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 47