Fuel Caddy?

/ Fuel Caddy? #11  
It wasn't cheap. The steel tank was about $250, $350 or so for the fillrite 15 gpm pump with auto nozzle (a must for my needs), $75 for the 2 filters and steel nipples, another $45 for a sheet of 3/4" plywood, 4 steel castors, and a few pieces of scrap 2x6. But it sure is satisfying to pump that diesel and have it cut off right when it's full!

/ Fuel Caddy?
What are everyone's thoughts about using a gravity drain, instead of a pump? I'm only fueling two machines at the moment. I don't think I'm using more than 100 gallons a year currently.

I'm just trying to figure out:
1) How to connect a gravity drain (portable) and keep filters on it.
2) Any concerns with the diesel sitting for extended periods of time? If I want off road, I have to buy a minimum of 150 gallons and have it delivered to my house. I really don't like the idea of having a tank outside. Stepping up to a tank that size would make the payoff from using off road diesel take forever.

Thoughts/opinions?

/ Fuel Caddy? #14  
My BX 25 handles a 50 GL transfer tank using clamp on forks. I strap it on to the FEL just to be safe after I had it slide off the forks while in the air. Mine is on wheels and I use a hand pump with 10 micron filter. Stay with Steel as aluminum corrodes with any moisture and cheaper. I bought mine at WILCO CO-OP; they are everywhere in OR. Tank and pump was under $400. I have two; one diesel and one gas and go through 100 GL each per year

Ron

/ Fuel Caddy?
What about issues with diesel sitting for extended periods of time? Let say I find a deal on a larger tank, but the diesel might be in there for a year'ish? Will it be okay? What additives etc should I be adding to the tank?

I add Stanadyne now (spelling is probably wrong). My local co-op will sell me a 150 gal tank on a stand for fairly cheap and fill it themselves with off road diesel.

/ Fuel Caddy? #16  
I've had diesel sit for a lot longer than a year, it's just fine....AS LONG as you keep the water out of it.

I don't use any additives at all...

SR

/ Fuel Caddy? #17  
Looks like you can't get a tank (50gal'ish) for less than $500?

What would be nice for me is to have dual filters and gravity drain the tank. I could make something to keep it in the air. Save me the cost of an electric pump. plus my B3200 only holds 8 gallons, so an 8gpm pump will be a little fast.
I bought two Delta steel 50 gallon transfer tanks off CL for $50 @ about two years ago. I'm shocked that the price from TSC is now $250@. Bought a hand pump for transfer from HF. A hand pump is not that bad. We had a 250 gallon tank on the "farm" where I grew up and it's a little exercise but not bad.

I've had diesel sit for a lot longer than a year, it's just fine....AS LONG as you keep the water out of it.

I don't use any additives at all...

SR
I've had diesel sit for about 5 years at least, a little biocide and water management keeps it good.

/ Fuel Caddy? #18  
I, like many of you am tired of the 5 gallon fill ups. My plan was to get a 100-150 gallon truck bed tank, then mount it to a pallet. I can load it in my truck bed to fill it up then build a stand to set it on and gravity feed to the tractor. So far it sounds good in my head, just need to get past the thinking part and start doing.:laughing:

/ Fuel Caddy? #19  
I, like many of you am tired of the 5 gallon fill ups. My plan was to get a 100-150 gallon truck bed tank, then mount it to a pallet. I can load it in my truck bed to fill it up then build a stand to set it on and gravity feed to the tractor. So far it sounds good in my head, just need to get past the thinking part and start doing.:laughing:

I think that's a pretty good idea. A lot of those truck tanks have lifting eyes too, so you could sling it instead of messing with bucket forks (if they are rated for a full tank). I'm glad I have the bucket forks, but they put the load so far out in front of the bucket that I lose half of my lift capacity on the CUT. It's also a bit "springy" way out there. I much prefer slinging when I can.

/ Fuel Caddy? #20  
Good to know about the lifting eyes. I do have pallet forks so either way would work.