Fuel Filter Changeout Issue

/ Fuel Filter Changeout Issue #1  

mmranch

Gold Member
Tractor
TYM T603
Bit of a crisis at the moment.

Plowed our road for about 6 hrs today and tractor worked fine. As I was driving back up the hill to the shop with the engine at top revs (as it had been all day), the engine started to lose power momentarily but then recovered. I switched to a lower gear and continued up the hill. I almost made it back up to the shop but then the engine lost power again and died. I was on a steep hill and blocking my driveway so I coasted back down the hill to a flatish spot off to the side.

Last time this happened, I replaced the fuel filter, bled the filter and she started fine and has been running fine for approximately 1.5 years. So I got my tools and replaced the filter down on the road. All went fine but I can't get fuel to bleed out the bleed screw. Last time, I think I simply turned the key ON and the pump ran and fuel came out (not sure if I'm remembering this right). This time no fuel with the key ON and no fuel even with the key turned to START.

During the changeout... I had both the inlet and outlet hose pinched with vise grips (just like last time) but I worry maybe I got air further in the line. Anyway, with the outlet line pinched, no fuel comes out the bleed screw. I run anti-gel all the time and have never had any freezeups.

It's getting dark and cold and I am charging the battery now and will try one more time to get fuel to show up.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

/ Fuel Filter Changeout Issue #2  
Bit of a crisis at the moment.

Plowed our road for about 6 hrs today and tractor worked fine. As I was driving back up the hill to the shop with the engine at top revs (as it had been all day), the engine started to lose power momentarily but then recovered. I switched to a lower gear and continued up the hill. I almost made it back up to the shop but then the engine lost power again and died. I was on a steep hill and blocking my driveway so I coasted back down the hill to a flatish spot off to the side.

Last time this happened, I replaced the fuel filter, bled the filter and she started fine and has been running fine for approximately 1.5 years. So I got my tools and replaced the filter down on the road. All went fine but I can't get fuel to bleed out the bleed screw. Last time, I think I simply turned the key ON and the pump ran and fuel came out (not sure if I'm remembering this right). This time no fuel with the key ON and no fuel even with the key turned to START.

During the changeout... I had both the inlet and outlet hose pinched with vise grips (just like last time) but I worry maybe I got air further in the line. Anyway, with the outlet line pinched, no fuel comes out the bleed screw. I run anti-gel all the time and have never had any freezeups.

It's getting dark and cold and I am charging the battery now and will try one more time to get fuel to show up.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
It sounds like you have a blockage between the tank outlet and the filter bled screw. What happens if you take the pliers off the filter outlet line?

If your tractor has a screen in the tank outlet, it may be clogged with ice or other crud. Do you have winter fuel in it or do you have summer fuel. Is the fuel vent in the fuel cap clear? You may also have some crud in the line from the tank to the filter, in a fitting or the filter head passages. If you can get some compressed air to it, you might blow back from the fuel line connection to the filter back to the tank.

/ Fuel Filter Changeout Issue #3  
Any chance your lift pump died?

Mike

/ Fuel Filter Changeout Issue
Thanks for the ideas! I'll be looking into it all.

When I changed the fuel filter last time... I'm almost positive that I turned the key to ON (not START) and when I did (along with the glow plugs heating) there was a humming sound (some type of sound) of the fuel pump pumping. With the outlet hose pinched, fuel came out of the bleed screw and I tightened it down. The fuel pump lives right next to the fuel filter.

This time, if I turn the key to ON and get out of the cab and go listen near the fuel pump... I don't hear any sound (and no fuel comes out the bleed screw). When I touch the fuel pump... I feel NO vibrations. I checked the 10amp fuse for the fuel pump and it is good (tested it with the multimeter and continuity is good). I suppose the fuel pump itself could have died.

The fuel pump is a 2" diameter cylinder with inlet and outlet on either end and some wires coming off the cylinder (looks basically like an automotive inline fuel filter... only it has wires). It does have a small welded-on bracket which enables it to be bolted to the mounting frame (NAPA may have something like it but it sure won't have the mounting bracket).

If I unpinch the fuel filter outlet hose and turn the key to ON, there is no difference. (I'm pretty sure last time I kept the outlet hose pinched to keep air from going further towards the engine). Tractor has winter fuel with Power Service White and Silver added.

Later when the sun is up, I will have to disconnect the hoses and check the fuel pump again.

Thanks again.

/ Fuel Filter Changeout Issue #5  
Napa should have that lift pump at a reasonable price. I believe they are almost universally 3-7psi diaphragm pumps. I have used "Mr Gasket" brand pumps with good results, or $25 ebay pumps.
While you're doing your final check this morning you may want to confirm the wiring didn't get disconnected... had that happen on one of my ZD mowers a few years ago.

/ Fuel Filter Changeout Issue #7  
Thanks for the ideas! I'll be looking into it all.

When I changed the fuel filter last time... I'm almost positive that I turned the key to ON (not START) and when I did (along with the glow plugs heating) there was a humming sound (some type of sound) of the fuel pump pumping. With the outlet hose pinched, fuel came out of the bleed screw and I tightened it down. The fuel pump lives right next to the fuel filter.

This time, if I turn the key to ON and get out of the cab and go listen near the fuel pump... I don't hear any sound (and no fuel comes out the bleed screw). When I touch the fuel pump... I feel NO vibrations. I checked the 10amp fuse for the fuel pump and it is good (tested it with the multimeter and continuity is good). I suppose the fuel pump itself could have died.

The fuel pump is a 2" diameter cylinder with inlet and outlet on either end and some wires coming off the cylinder (looks basically like an automotive inline fuel filter... only it has wires). It does have a small welded-on bracket which enables it to be bolted to the mounting frame (NAPA may have something like it but it sure won't have the mounting bracket).

If I unpinch the fuel filter outlet hose and turn the key to ON, there is no difference. (I'm pretty sure last time I kept the outlet hose pinched to keep air from going further towards the engine). Tractor has winter fuel with Power Service White and Silver added.

Later when the sun is up, I will have to disconnect the hoses and check the fuel pump again.

Thanks again.
Does it have/did you check the fuel pump relay? I'd check it before installing a new pump.

/ Fuel Filter Changeout Issue #8  
Start with the fuse; then check for voltage at the pump with a test light next; no voltage? check the fuel pump relay for voltage if it has one; look for loose, chafed, corroded, or disconnected wires; if you have voltage at the pump and it is not running it is defective and needs replacing.

You also need to ensure there is full fuel flow to the pump from the tank. Pump failure can be caused by running dry.

/ Fuel Filter Changeout Issue #9  
is your fuel treated? could be a gelling issue

/ Fuel Filter Changeout Issue #10  
I agree, disconnect the line going to the pump and make sure fuel is flowing by gravity from the tank. Also make sure the pump is getting electricity. I had a Kubota BX and it sounds just like the electric lift pump it had.