Fuel gelling?

/ Fuel gelling? #11  
No problem. I add the regular amount starting about now, then out of paranoia double it when the temps are first drifting down to 10F at night. I keep it there at double until it has stayed cold for a month.

Sounds goofy, I know, but the fuel stations will always go lean on the additives early in the season to save money betting that it won't get cold and won't matter. So, doubling protects against them basically not treating at all. After a month of cold, they will have their collective "stuff" in a bucket, and it's safe to go back to label dose. I do start dosing early, because us WI people know how fast a cold snap can blow in. It's the boy scout in me.

/ Fuel gelling? #12  
No problem. I add the regular amount starting about now, then out of paranoia double it when the temps are first drifting down to 10F at night.
1*I keep it there at double until it has stayed cold for a month.

Sounds goofy, I know, but the fuel stations will always go lean on the additives early in the season to save money betting that it won't get cold and won't matter. So, doubling protects against them basically not treating at all. After a month of cold, they will have their collective "stuff" in a bucket, and it's safe to go back to label dose. I do start dosing early, because us WI people know how fast a cold snap can blow in.
2* It's the boy scout in me.
1*I dump 32 ounces in each 55 gallon drum of fuel the year around.
label dose is 17.6 ounces.
2* I'm like a boy scout too.

/ Fuel gelling? #13  
ditto on the howes versus the power service i have seen it work howes is also cheaper here in ny

/ Fuel gelling? #14  
No problem. I add the regular amount starting about now, then out of paranoia double it when the temps are first drifting down to 10F at night. I keep it there at double until it has stayed cold for a month.

Sounds goofy, I know, but the fuel stations will always go lean on the additives early in the season to save money betting that it won't get cold and won't matter. So, doubling protects against them basically not treating at all. After a month of cold, they will have their collective "stuff" in a bucket, and it's safe to go back to label dose. I do start dosing early, because us WI people know how fast a cold snap can blow in. It's the boy scout in me.

JB -

Whatcha think of the current cold snap???

I was all set for it to be cold until Spring, then Whamo! 70+ degree days...

At least I know my furnace ain't complaining. I guess we'll see highs in the low 40's this weekend. Sigh...

BTW - Bought off-road for 2.75 per gallon last Saturday - Liking that too.

/ Fuel gelling? #15  
Yeah, the cold snap is helping the cereal rye and clover I planted the first week of October.

Haven't had the furnace on since last season. Have run the wood stove a bit. The warm temps have really slowed down my wood chopping. Man, that maul is no fun when it's hot out!

jb

/ Fuel gelling? #16  
I use the standard anti fuel gel additives and #1 diesel in the winter with my tractor, but a long time ago, I had a VW rabbit diesel. It had a 10 gallon tank. The manual stated that you could use up to a gallon of gasoline per tank or 11%) to prevent gelling which I did although never quite a gallon with no adverse effects. Anyone ever tired this approach with a tractor?

/ Fuel gelling? #17  
Yeah, that works in a pinch. But it makes the flame much hotter and if you were towing heavy up hills and the EGT was normally hitting 1250F, you may reach 1500F and have some serious issues. Plus it also lowers the cetane rating of the fuel, making it harder to start. That's why people that fill a diesel with gasoline have the engine die, gasoline can't be compression fired like diesel.

In a tractor in the winter, you probably are not going to be doing any serious ground engaging work where the engine is at 80-100% of output, so you probably wouldn't have issues. Probably.

But, I would rather gel up that take the risk. Especially, when the filters are not that much money and the additives are not that expensive.

jb

/ Fuel gelling? #18  
I use the standard anti fuel gel additives and #1 diesel in the winter with my tractor, but a long time ago, I had a VW rabbit diesel. It had a 10 gallon tank. The manual stated that you could use up to a gallon of gasoline per tank or 11%) to prevent gelling which I did although never quite a gallon with no adverse effects. Anyone ever tired this approach with a tractor?
You don't need to add anything to winter diesel ( especially gasoline or Kero cause it's already added ) that's why it's winter diesel.
The only thing I add is PS to both winter and summer fuel.

/ Fuel gelling? #20  

Trying to blow the cylinder head off our engine are we. :D Never, ever, ever mix gasoline with your diesel fuel. Gasoline is highly volatile with a much lower flash point. It's also a very effective way of burning a hole through your piston's. I have overhauled a couple of engines over the years that had nuked pistons due to gasoline mixed with the diesel fuel. It's also a good way of destroying your fuel injectors and injection pump since gasoline will negate the little lubrication left in current diesel fuel. Finally, the additive is cheaper to use. Depending on the brand the mix ratio is usually 1 to 1,000 up to 1 to 3,000. It cost only a couple of pennies to use the correct additive. It can cost you thousands in repairs if you use gasoline.