Fueling M series tractor

/ Fueling M series tractor #11  
I have a solution that works for me.

I buy fuel in 5 gallon plastic fuel jugs....about 6 or 8 jugs at a time. And used to lift them up to the top of the hood, but that became an effort.

So I bought online a fuel pump with long electrical leads and alligator clips. The pump itself is designed to pump diesel and small enough to fit into any standard 5 gallon plastic fuel container. Added about ten feet of 3/8" clear tubing to the outlet and terminated that hose with a plastic connection that screws into a big heavy nut. The nut causes the hose to sink in in the tractor tank.

I just unscrew the top of a 5 gallon jug, drop in the pump, clip the leads on the battery, and the job is done quickly. Very fast pump.

Between uses I keep the whole kit in a wide mouth 5 gallon bucket with a lid on it. A Home Depot bucket and lid cost about five bucks. I think the lid cost more than the bucket. That way everything stays clean and I don't have diesel all over everything.
rScotty

Thats a very effective, simple, thrifty way to move fuel.

Only other thing I could suggest is a cordless drill pump

/ Fueling M series tractor #12  
On my MX4800. I use a no-spill 5 gal diesel can. I put a garden kneeling pad on the hood. I climb up the step with the can in my left hand, arm just hanging. Once in the drivers station, I put the can on the kneeling pad and tilt it over the inlet. The you push the button. No spill! I drilled a 1/8 hole in the guards for the push button and insert a brass rod through to hold the button down. As long as I have less than half a tank, I can walk away.

/ Fueling M series tractor #14  
I have a couple of these. They work great. Much easier than holding up the can and they are cheap. Battery Operated Liquid Transfer Pump
Yes they do on both counts, cheap and efficient. I use them for gas in the lawnmowers and a quick fill if the tractors aren't near the bulk tank. I use 2 sets of rechargeable batteries. One on the charger while one is in the pump.

/ Fueling M series tractor #15  
Thankfully, my cabbed M6040 has the filler neck on the front left side of the cab at about the step level. I put the 5 gallon jug on the front wheel, get good grip on it , lift and put the nozzle right in the filler and hold it against the grab bar while it empties. I am 69 and eventually will get some sort of pumping system when I get too feeble to lift it.

Dang, you are an old fart.....lol

Feeble is a state of mind.

/ Fueling M series tractor #16  
This is how I fuel my tractors.

72C14BDE-2180-4A4F-8DD1-F65C5B628FBD.jpeg

/ Fueling M series tractor #17  
On my MX6000, I step up and stand on the front tire and dump 5 gallons of fuel by hand all over the tractor. Some gets in the fuel tank.

The filler looks great in the middle of the hood/engine area. But it is a horrible user experience. The FEL loader arm gives me something to lean on.

/ Fueling M series tractor #18  
On my MX6000, I step up and stand on the front tire and dump 5 gallons of fuel by hand all over the tractor. Some gets in the fuel tank.

The filler looks great in the middle of the hood/engine area. But it is a horrible user experience. The FEL loader arm gives me something to lean on.
That was my technique. Got a 55 gallon drum & hand pump. Then a 350 gallon tank on a stand. Finally a 36 gallon transfer tank & 12v pump for the truck (soon to move to the new truck or maybe on the deckover trailer). I still use the 55 gallon drum after the bug tank gets emptied. Transfer tank for job sites or when the big & small tank/drum in the barn gets empty & I haven't ordered a new delivery.

/ Fueling M series tractor #19  
Years ago, I bought a NAPA plastic pour can like once found at all full service gasoline stations for filing radiators.

Works great for transferring about 2 gallons of fuel from a heavy 5-6 gallon container to an inconveniently located fuel filler spout.

These days I use it mostly to fill the tank on my M9960 ROPS which for some reason has the filler cap behind the seat to the left. Difficult to access with just about anything attached to the lift or drawbar.

SDT

That's where mine is. I have never used a 5 gallon jug to add fuel. I'll bet that sucks!!!! I like it there when using my transfer pump/tank. If you do spill any, it harmlessly goes on the ground and not all over the paint.

/ Fueling M series tractor #20  
Life is too short to use fuel cans, particularly up high. Years ago I put a transfer tank in my truck with a FillRite 12v pump, filter, and work shutoff nozzle.

Yep. 55 gallon.