Fueling M series tractor

/ Fueling M series tractor #31  
I tired of lifting a 5-gal can and trying to haul myself up onto the tractor to fill. Finally got another can, fill them each to 3 gallons or so, and use a big funnel.

/ Fueling M series tractor
I mention this only because it relates to refueling and a possible silver lining. 6 weeks ago, on the way to out patient hernia surgery, I left my 2005 dodge minivan running. It’s my pickemup truck. Burned up the fuel pump and who knows how much gas.

Ordered pump from rock auto.

Then came complications with surgery, no big deal, then I get that vertigo mess.....

6 weeks later I finally drop the gas tank on my new garage slab and immediately see the pump connections are different.

Long story short, because I have sto and go seats, fold into floor, I need a different fuel pump. My fault.

I mention this only because I now Have a new 12 volt fuel pump that might find a use in refueling my tractor.

Too late to return.

Devils in the details.

Side note...the gremlin in me called Autozone. $180 vs $50 on line but.....I asked the fellow, do you think it matters what kind of seats I have. he said...nope. If it made any difference his computer would tell him.

Hmmmmm

Rosanne Rosanadna, always something.

/ Fueling M series tractor #33  
I can see where a portable 12v diesel refueling cart would be nice.

SmartSelect_20200802-152010_Chrome.jpg

/ Fueling M series tractor #34  
I mention this only because it relates to refueling and a possible silver lining. 6 weeks ago, on the way to out patient hernia surgery, I left my 2005 dodge minivan running. It’s my pickemup truck. Burned up the fuel pump and who knows how much gas.

Ordered pump from rock auto.

Then came complications with surgery, no big deal, then I get that vertigo mess.....

6 weeks later I finally drop the gas tank on my new garage slab and immediately see the pump connections are different.

Long story short, because I have sto and go seats, fold into floor, I need a different fuel pump. My fault.

I mention this only because I now Have a new 12 volt fuel pump that might find a use in refueling my tractor.

Too late to return.

Devils in the details.

Side note...the gremlin in me called Autozone. $180 vs $50 on line but.....I asked the fellow, do you think it matters what kind of seats I have. he said...nope. If it made any difference his computer would tell him.

Hmmmmm

Rosanne Rosanadna, always something.

Running gas through a diesel could be dangerous. But while you could wreck the seals in the pump running diesel through a gas pump wount explode on you. That a high pressure pump or a low pressure? In either case it may be a bit slow. A couple GPM tops. Modern fuel pumps use the returning gas to cool them. If you let it run dry or run for a while it may wreck things.

Can't hurt much to try if you already have the pump you can't return & have no other use for.

/ Fueling M series tractor #35  
I use the battery gas pump like the one at Harbour Freight and Amazon but I bought mine from Sears, about $8. I also have these spouts added to all my cans and they don't leak on most of them and with the extension a person can bend the spout into the fill hole and then lift the 5 gallon can on edge till can partially empty and then pick up can and usually a no spill operation. I lift my 5 gallon can up as I climb up on my L3901 which I traded yesterday to a MX5400, anset it on FEL arm and then slide/lift it over to where I need it on hood........EZ-Pour Hi-Flo Replacement Spout, 351 at Tractor Supply Co. Rural King sells one similiar to this also as well as Amazon.

/ Fueling M series tractor #36  
Electric sounds great! I recently bought an MX6000. Being used to my Ford 3910, I just set the plastic 5 gallon can on the hood and poured into a funnel. Well, it wasn't a smart thing to do as it dented the hood. AARRGGH. I bought a cheap siphon with a check valve and now I use a step ladder to get high enough to set the Diesel can on top of the loader arm, hold the hose in the tank and siphon away.

/ Fueling M series tractor #37  
I got a Heavy duty fuel pump. I put a rubber inlet hose on it. I put a short outlet hose and an inline fuel filter and then a longer outlet hose.

I got a 10amp power supply. You can plug that into a 120v outlet. I put an on/off switch on it by mounting the power supply into an old computer frame.
I put plug on connections from the power supply to the fuel pump, so that i can actually use the battery of the tractor instead of the power supply for the fuel pump.
Put in inlet hose in the gas can on the floor and the outlet hose into the tank and turn on the switch. You have to turn the switch off every so often unless you are sure you need at least 5 gals, until the fuel gauge catches up to show how much fuel is in the tank. I will say that I got the 10amp power supply free as my company was tossing it. Those are not cheap.
I initially tried to use a 5 amp supply and it would not work. Need 10amp and 12 vdc with the fuel pump I used.

/ Fueling M series tractor #38  
Do miss the old ford and massy tractors that had metal tanks that used a big metal funnel with screen that locked into the tank. You could pour from a bucket and not make a mess.

For the B26 the perfect refill tank I’ve found is this. No-Spill 1457 Diesel Fuel Can, Yellow Amazon.com: No-Spill 1457 Diesel Fuel Can, Yellow: Garden & Outdoor
Can lay on hood with nozzle in the tank and then push the button. No strain, No mess. My wife doesn’t like to fill but can with these.

They don’t work well for the M59. I use a variety of plastic cans with high flow replacement spouts. Long nozzles that let me set the can on the loader arm and reach the tank. EZ-POUR B00YP3YTXM Replacement Water Jug Or Gas Can Spout-Deluxe Hi-Flo System with Extension, Pack of 1 Amazon.com: EZ-POUR BYP3YTXM Replacement Water Jug Or Gas Can Spout-Deluxe Hi-Flo System with Extension, Pack of 1: Home Improvement
Just filled 9 diesel cans and truck with road diesel at $1.79/gal.

Think about switching back to bulk tank and already have most of the stuff. It comes with problems and maintenance too. In between what makes the best option.

/ Fueling M series tractor #39  
Do miss the old ford and massy tractors that had metal tanks that used a big metal funnel with screen that locked into the tank. You could pour from a bucket and not make a mess.

For the B26 the perfect refill tank I’ve found is this. No-Spill 1457 Diesel Fuel Can, Yellow Amazon.com: No-Spill 1457 Diesel Fuel Can, Yellow: Garden & Outdoor
Can lay on hood with nozzle in the tank and then push the button. No strain, No mess. My wife doesn’t like to fill but can with these.

They don’t work well for the M59. I use a variety of plastic cans with high flow replacement spouts. Long nozzles that let me set the can on the loader arm and reach the tank. EZ-POUR B00YP3YTXM Replacement Water Jug Or Gas Can Spout-Deluxe Hi-Flo System with Extension, Pack of 1 Amazon.com: EZ-POUR BYP3YTXM Replacement Water Jug Or Gas Can Spout-Deluxe Hi-Flo System with Extension, Pack of 1: Home Improvement
Just filled 9 diesel cans and truck with road diesel at $1.79/gal.

Think about switching back to bulk tank and already have most of the stuff. It comes with problems and maintenance too. In between what makes the best option.

Bingo, Smokey.

I still use the old tractor funnel (with locking mount and brass screen) for my two remaining vintage Fords but refueling my M9960 ROPS from plastic cans is a real PITA, especially with something mounted on the lift.

Not so with cab models with filler positioned in front of cab door. Why Kubota chose to position the filler on ROPS models behind the console is quite beyond me.

For multiple reasons which I do not care to relate, I do not own either PU truck or SUV. Accordingly, most of the "solutions" proposed above are not applicable.

SDT

/ Fueling M series tractor #40  
Here is my solution, use the hand cart for around the shop, or the blue rim clamps to pick the grab the drum just make sure belly strap is tight. That handle locks open

Attachments

• FuelStation.jpg
    FuelStation.jpg
    474.9 KB · Views: 94