Fueling M series tractor

/ Fueling M series tractor #1  

Frankenkubota

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota MX 5800, SkidPro 4 in 1, Ratchet rake, SkidPro pallet forks
Good morning

I have a 溺 series tractor, I guess that references the frame/chassis? I mention that to give you an idea of it size.

The fuel filler cap, gas cap, is on the top of the hood, just off center.

I知 67 but in pretry darn good shape. I dont have the strength I had but I do ok.

I知 building my house, living on site, have almost everything in storage so, very very few options for projects at this time.

I use a 5 gallon yellow gas can for diesel fuel. I have to lift it up over the hood. Trying to get the filler tube in the hole etc etc is difficult. Worried Trying not to scratch the tractor or spill the fuel.

I spill the fuel every time.

In 6 months I hope to have a 100+200 gal tank either mounted high enough for gravity feed or with an electric pump but, that痴 in 6 months, if it ever stops raining. Could be 6 years!

Any suggestions? Some of the syphon pumps appeal but for diesel? It痴 not so much the lifting, it痴 the pouring.

Always an editorial comment!

My kubota rtv, 1140, has the filler cap just above knee high on the passenger side with a huge filler opening angled out. I can dump in 5 gallons of fuel fast and easy and no spills! Thx for that!

Right now my solution is, put 1/2 in rtv, 1/2 in tractor but, I still make a mess!

Thx

/ Fueling M series tractor #2  
If we are talking diesel fuel, either do 1-2G at a time (buy 5 gallons, bring to shop, distribute into smaller 1G can, fill tractor) or use a small electric pump, drill pump, etc.
I have 3 tanks 300G in shop, 80G on my ram and 50G on my Ford with electric pumps and they are invaluable.

Last edited:
   / Fueling M series tractor #3  
If we are talking diesel fuel, either do 1-2G at a time (buy 5 gallons, bring to shop, distribute into smaller 1G can, fill tractor) or use a small electric pump, drill pump, etc.
I have 3 tanks 300G in shop, 80G on my ram and 50G on my Ford and they are invaluable.

Years ago, I bought a NAPA plastic pour can like once found at all full service gasoline stations for filing radiators.

Works great for transferring about 2 gallons of fuel from a heavy 5-6 gallon container to an inconveniently located fuel filler spout.

These days I use it mostly to fill the tank on my M9960 ROPS which for some reason has the filler cap behind the seat to the left. Difficult to access with just about anything attached to the lift or drawbar.

SDT

/ Fueling M series tractor #4  
I was faced with that problem and solved it by buying a diesel 5 gallon plastic jug that shuts off automatically. The Kubota dealers sell them and it works great.

/ Fueling M series tractor #5  
I had this on the JD 4010 and JD 2025R, essentially the same tractor, with fuel tank on top. I lift my 5 gallon container to atop the brake pedals. Then climb up onto the deck and lift to atop the hood. Then use a syphon (on 1st half to 2/3 of the container) to get it into the tank. Then, I can lift the container to get the rest in by just pouring.

Ralph

/ Fueling M series tractor #6  
My fuel cap is behind the seat - on the left hand side. So far, I can do it. What that really means - so far, no hernia. But the day is coming........

I will probably get some type of 12V rechargeable transfer pump. Won't have to be much. I refill the tractor every time I use it. So at the very most - four or five gallons.

/ Fueling M series tractor #7  
Life is too short to use fuel cans, particularly up high. Years ago I put a transfer tank in my truck with a FillRite 12v pump, filter, and auto shutoff nozzle.

Last edited:
   / Fueling M series tractor #8  
Thankfully, my cabbed M6040 has the filler neck on the front left side of the cab at about the step level. I put the 5 gallon jug on the front wheel, get good grip on it , lift and put the nozzle right in the filler and hold it against the grab bar while it empties. I am 69 and eventually will get some sort of pumping system when I get too feeble to lift it.

/ Fueling M series tractor #9  
I have a solution that works for me.

I buy fuel in 5 gallon plastic fuel jugs....about 6 or 8 jugs at a time. And used to lift them up to the top of the hood, but that became an effort.

So I bought online a fuel pump with long electrical leads and alligator clips. The pump itself is designed to pump diesel and small enough to fit into any standard 5 gallon plastic fuel container. Added about ten feet of 3/8" clear tubing to the outlet and terminated that hose with a plastic connection that screws into a big heavy nut. The nut causes the hose to sink in in the tractor tank.

I just unscrew the top of a 5 gallon jug, drop in the pump, clip the leads on the battery, and the job is done quickly. Very fast pump.

Between uses I keep the whole kit in a wide mouth 5 gallon bucket with a lid on it. A Home Depot bucket and lid cost about five bucks. I think the lid cost more than the bucket. That way everything stays clean and I don't have diesel all over everything.
rScotty

/ Fueling M series tractor #10  
I back my truck up to my mx5400, step from tailgate to front wheel, use a funnel and pour from an old style 5gal can with spout and flip cap vent on the back.
DPF is always very hot. I hate the design. It's the same on my L3301.
I'm always amazed how much nicer my grand L is.
Going to move my 100gal transfer tank with 20ft hose to the mx5400 property. It's kind of thirsty and I hate fueling it as described above