G80 Autolocking differential

/ G80 Autolocking differential #1  

Jstpssng

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota L3301
I'm just wondering what if any experiences people have had with this GM locking differential. They seem to be putting them into more of their truck based vehicles and it does seem to give extra traction, vs just kicking the truck sideways into the ditch like the more common "limited slip" differential is prone to do. And don't ask me how I know that...

/ G80 Autolocking differential #2  
I'm just wondering what if any experiences people have had with this GM locking differential. They seem to be putting them into more of their truck based vehicles and it does seem to give extra traction, vs just kicking the truck sideways into the ditch like the more common "limited slip" differential is prone to do. And don't ask me how I know that...

haven't had any trouble so far with my 10 year old truck. it also has stability track too, So two traction systems as well as 4WD. I think the stability track kicks in first before the "gov lock" locks up. Of course the Stability track can be turned off with a button. I have never been stuck in the truck. But that doesn't mean a whole lot. I only have a little over 20k miles on a 10 year old truck. So it is not like I am out there every day with it.

/ G80 Autolocking differential
^^^^
That could be, I haven't read up on it. I've been wondering why the traction in mud seemed so good, and just noted that mine is equipped with it after downloadng the window sticker last night (Which should have been included with the truck but wasn't.)

I think that if your rears break loose at much over 25 mph you probably have more on your mind anyways.

/ G80 Autolocking differential #5  
Mine is 15 years old with zero issues. If it ever had a problem, I'll rebuild it with the same setup. It's in an '05 Duramax.

/ G80 Autolocking differential #6  
I've had GM lockers on multiple trucks over the years and they work well, no complaints. Not gonna substitute for some weight in the bed or 4x4 for that matter.

/ G80 Autolocking differential #8  
I've owned 7 of the G80s. Everything from my 93 S10 to 97 1500, 99 Silverado, 08 Suburban, and 17 Duramax. Still have the last 3 three. No issues with any of them.

/ G80 Autolocking differential #9  
As a corollary to the fact that the majority of us have had zero issues with the G80, I have seen some "abusive" videos where people managed to "grenade" the differential right on camera. Proof positive that nothing is "idiot proof". I suppose you could tear up an anvil if you worked at it.

/ G80 Autolocking differential #10  
I have had a bunch of G80 lockers in trucks and I did have one issue in a new S10 ZR2. It would HARSHLY lock with very minor wheel spin and would then stay locked up solid for a while. The dealer swapped out the axle and it was fixed. All of the others worked fine.