Garage hacks, adjustments and annoyances.........

/ Garage hacks, adjustments and annoyances.........
They are expanding mandrels, used to locate a part relative to an existing hole.
From the Smithy website:
A perfect fit when you need to machine a job in relation to an existing hole (like gears). Mandrels fit into the hole, expand, and tighten. Mount the shaft end into a mill or lathe spindle. Set includes eight mandrels ¼"-1-1/4", hex wrenches, and a wood holder.

Darn it, I dont understand machinist talk, your going to have show a picture demonstration to bring it down to my level.

I don't have a rear chuck so I turned some different size bushings that will slide in the bore and hold longer objects steady, usually wood.

So live centers wont work on wood and what are you did you make with wood? For some reason I'm not picturing arrows, I have heard some people turn burls into bowls.

I think your saying the plastic bushings go in this tail end. But how would a rear chuck help unless those are on a bearing so's to be able to turn, if there is such a thing.
Inked20200401_123523_LI.jpg

Attachments

• 20200401_123523.jpg
    20200401_123523.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 97
   / Garage hacks, adjustments and annoyances......... #103  
Darn it, I dont understand machinist talk, your going to have show a picture demonstration to bring it down to my level.

What he is saying is the mandrel expands out to hold the id of an item that needs turned on a lathe. One end of the mandrel holds the part to be worked on, the other end of the mandrel is put in the lathe chuck. I haven't used expanding mandrels before but it makes perfect sense.

What he is saying is the mandrel expands out to hold the id of an item that needs turned on a lathe. One end of the mandrel holds the part to be worked on, the other end of the mandrel is put in the lathe chuck. I haven't used expanding mandrels before but it makes perfect sense.

Ok think I got it, thanks for bringing it down to my level, but shouldn't that be OD of a item?:thumbsup:

/ Garage hacks, adjustments and annoyances......... #105  
Ok think I got it, thanks for bringing it down to my level, but shouldn't that be OD of a item?
No, it's for something like a gear that already has a hole through the middle of it and you need to rework the teeth on it.
The mandrel goes into the hole and centers it so that you can put it on the lathe and work with it.

Aaron Z

No, it's for something like a gear that already has a hole through the middle of it and you need to rework the teeth on it.
The mandrel goes into the hole and centers it so that you can put it on the lathe and work with it.

Aaron Z

Ok gotcha thanks for the input:thumbsup:

/ Garage hacks, adjustments and annoyances......... #107  
So live centers wont work on wood and what are you did you make with wood? For some reason I'm not picturing arrows, I have heard some people turn burls into bowls.

I think your saying the plastic bushings go in this tail end. But how would a rear chuck help unless those are on a bearing so's to be able to turn, if there is such a thing.
View attachment 649118

the bushings go in the left side where the gears and belt are. the material being turned sticks out the back or left side of the lathe while the work is being done in front of the chuck. sorry for the confusion. I have used live centers on wood a lot it depends on the task.

the bushings go in the left side where the gears and belt are. the material being turned sticks out the back or left side of the lathe while the work is being done in front of the chuck. sorry for the confusion. I have used live centers on wood a lot it depends on the task.
Ok now I see what you meant.

/ Garage hacks, adjustments and annoyances......... #109  
The column is now ready for painting but my shop isn't heated and it is only running from the mid 20's to mid 30's here so too cold to paint. I figured I would haul it to my work so I could get it warmed up for painting but it snowed last night so I didn't want to haul it in the trailer and have it all rusty by the time I got there. I finally figured out I could lay it down on a pallet and stick it in the back of the pickup. I had about 4 or 5 inches of clearance height wise so all was good. I will let it warm up a couple days and start painting.

IMG_0418.JPG IMG_0419.JPG IMG_0420.JPG

The last picture shows how well I tied it down.

The column is now ready for painting but my shop isn't heated and it is only running from the mid 20's to mid 30's here so too cold to paint. I figured I would haul it to my work so I could get it warmed up for painting but it snowed last night so I didn't want to haul it in the trailer and have it all rusty by the time I got there. I finally figured out I could lay it down on a pallet and stick it in the back of the pickup. I had about 4 or 5 inches of clearance height wise so all was good. I will let it warm up a couple days and start painting.

View attachment 649357 View attachment 649358 View attachment 649359

The last picture shows how well I tied it down.

Snow!!!!!!!!!!!! Guess I have google map Wyoming, and is heat in the shop in the forecast? So whats the paint procedure, you painting the underneath to then flip up?

You accidentally got a piece of mountain scenery in that second picture, can you accidentally get one in full view with your tractor in the forefront........................ Heres a picture of my shop from two months ago, built in 2013, heated with a wood stove since fall 2016.

IMG-5508.JPG IMG-5013.JPG IMG-5207.JPG