Garage hacks, adjustments and annoyances.........

/ Garage hacks, adjustments and annoyances......... #91  
Nice shop with plenty of wrenches. Now let me make a couple guesses here, 1>to cold to paint, 2> This guess will be a bit harder, wheres the the rebuilt shaft go, I say here or close by......

The weather has been nice, but the last to days temps drop drastically along with rain. It dropped from around 82F to 45F in a matter of 2/3 days.

The machine has been in the waiting list pretty much forever, along with the forks for the loader and the carry all box. I just don't like painting but the day will come. In my defense, we can't go out to buy paint because of the virus. :)

You nailed it on the shaft location but it's in the back of the head, you can't really see it. The worst part is that requires to take the full head out, so you can take the little 1/4" set screw and it finally lets you pull the shaft out. Since I don't have any lifting equipment setup on the shop yet, I had to take the head off in 3 parts, the motor, the top half and the bottom half.

/ Garage hacks, adjustments and annoyances......... #92  
Beautiful work on that shaft! Very creative use of a lathe to make the hex head, too. How were you able to recreate it with how chewed up the original was? Did you find drawings online or just take your best shot? And I totally agree that the worm gear should be supported on both ends. I'm amazed it works at all without the support and doesn't just deflect and cam out/strip. At most you would need just a bronze bushing to support it. Really low speed/cycles on something like that.

/ Garage hacks, adjustments and annoyances......... #93  
Beautiful work on that shaft! Very creative use of a lathe to make the hex head, too. How were you able to recreate it with how chewed up the original was? Did you find drawings online or just take your best shot? And I totally agree that the worm gear should be supported on both ends. I'm amazed it works at all without the support and doesn't just deflect and cam out/strip. At most you would need just a bronze bushing to support it. Really low speed/cycles on something like that.

Thanks Dave.

I only chewed up half of the part while taking it off. The other half is good. But I also kinda reverse engineered the shaft with my own measurements for the length and I only matched exactly the diameters. On the original shaft, the groove didn't match exactly the location of the set screw that locks it into place, so I adjusted that.

I also added a radius between the small diameter and the diameter on the middle of the shaft, so hopefully it helps reducing the stress on that area.

/ Garage hacks, adjustments and annoyances.........
View attachment 648567

A bit further right and to the back of the head. You used a pencil, I used a crayon. It is used to rotate the head to either side.

Now a bit of humor.
View attachment 648568

I didn't think I was to far off. Or I used finger you use fat finger and that's I'm considering one of these computer markers>>>> https://www.amazon.com/Stylus-Pen-C...s+for+computer+screens&qid=1585754547&sr=8-31

IMG_20200330_085846.jpeg

/ Garage hacks, adjustments and annoyances......... #95  
Oldpath05 late to the post. My friend who purchased a lathes said the salesman stressed to him the base needed to be solid - sturdy and not flex. He said when he started getting metal prices he almost had heart failures. He said one morning while sitting in the shop and studying the situation he noticed some old plywood panels he had in storage. He said he then thought once I get that thing installed it will never be moved.

He said he then called a concrete supplier and asked about the cost of concrete. He then called lowes and got the bag price. He built a form out of the plywood, called the concrete supplier and had him to bring the concrete. Opened a shop window and ran the chute through the window and poured the form full of concrete. Removed the form about four days later and set the lathe on top and it is a more solid base than anything he could have built out of steel.

/ Garage hacks, adjustments and annoyances......... #96  
Yes sir to best of my memory about 20 years and probably only used it a dozen times in the past 5 or 6 years. But when I need it I have it. I'll try to get some pictures soon.

Sorry it took so long. 20200401_123523.jpg

Oldpath05 late to the post. My friend who purchased a lathes said the salesman stressed to him the base needed to be solid - sturdy and not flex. He said when he started getting metal prices he almost had heart failures. He said one morning while sitting in the shop and studying the situation he noticed some old plywood panels he had in storage. He said he then thought once I get that thing installed it will never be moved.

He said he then called a concrete supplier and asked about the cost of concrete. He then called lowes and got the bag price. He built a form out of the plywood, called the concrete supplier and had him to bring the concrete. Opened a shop window and ran the chute through the window and poured the form full of concrete. Removed the form about four days later and set the lathe on top and it is a more solid base than anything he could have built out of steel.

Thanks for the tip that might worth considering, when I finally get back to the lathe bench project, I still have 3k sitting on the garage floor with tarp over it. A rainey Saturday would speed things up, when the sun comes out cant stand being in.

Thats ok, and your right that is darn close to the new one I just bought, a very nice set up to thanks for sharing!! You have a peg board that gives lots of hanging options and quite the assortment of nylon bushings, what are they for? If you can sometime could you get a picture on the drive end with small door open showing how you have your drive belt or belts for lathe turning, thanks...........

/ Garage hacks, adjustments and annoyances......... #99  
Thats ok, and your right that is darn close to the new one I just bought, a very nice set up to thanks for sharing!! You have a peg board that gives lots of hanging options and quite the assortment of nylon bushings, what are they for? If you can sometime could you get a picture on the drive end with small door open showing how you have your drive belt or belts for lathe turning, thanks...........

I don't have a rear chuck so I turned some different size bushings that will slide in the bore and hold longer objects steady, usually wood.

/ Garage hacks, adjustments and annoyances......... #100  
I dont suppose you would know what these accessory's are used for? I'm sure they have something to do with milling.
View attachment 647745
They are expanding mandrels, used to locate a part relative to an existing hole.
From the Smithy website:
A perfect fit when you need to machine a job in relation to an existing hole (like gears). Mandrels fit into the hole, expand, and tighten. Mount the shaft end into a mill or lathe spindle. Set includes eight mandrels ¼"-1-1/4", hex wrenches, and a wood holder.