Garage hacks, adjustments and annoyances.........

/ Garage hacks, adjustments and annoyances.........
I'm usually a half bubble off but not this time.
IMG-6071.JPG IMG-6069.JPG IMG-6070.JPG

/ Garage hacks, adjustments and annoyances......... #132  
I take it that's just for checking whether it's sitting level? Machine that small, probably there's no way to level the ways themselves.

/ Garage hacks, adjustments and annoyances......... #133  
I take it that's just for checking whether it's sitting level? Machine that small, probably there's no way to level the ways themselves.

If table is in "set" position, you use shims under bolt down pads to perfectly level machine...

Dale

/ Garage hacks, adjustments and annoyances......... #134  
My normal process for leveling and straightening a lathe is to level side to side at the head end first. Then level length wise without changing the head end. If the head end has to be changed to level length wise then relevel the head end afterwards. Once that is all done then straighten the tail end of the bed. Usually there are adjusting bolts to accomplish this but as in Oldpaths case there aren't any adjusting bolts so shims are used so when the bed is tightened down to the base, the bed doesn't have a twist in it or excess strain on it.

But in reality, for the size of Oldpath's lathe, what he is doing is just fine.

/ Garage hacks, adjustments and annoyances......... #135  
But in reality, for the size of Oldpath's lathe, what he is doing is just fine.

Yeh, that's what I'm saying, lathe that size, if there's any twist to the bed, you're not likely to correct it anyways. On full-size lathes, you're not gonna be doing it justice by leveling with a regular bubble level. You need precision levels, 2 of them preferably, one placed by the chuck, the other by the tail end. That's the main concern with lathes, that the ways are parallel...it's more important than the head and tail end of the lathe being level.

Yeh, that's what I'm saying, lathe that size, if there's any twist to the bed, you're not likely to correct it anyways. On full-size lathes, you're not gonna be doing it justice by leveling with a regular bubble level. You need precision levels, 2 of them preferably, one placed by the chuck, the other by the tail end. That's the main concern with lathes, that the ways are parallel...it's more important than the head and tail end of the lathe being level.

What's a precision level?

/ Garage hacks, adjustments and annoyances......... #137  
What's a precision level?

I know this answer, because I bought one! The answer is a very nice and EXPENSIVE level!Search for a Sterrett Machinist Level, that will bring up a picture of one.
David from jax

/ Garage hacks, adjustments and annoyances......... #138  
I have one that is 0,02 mm per division over 160 mm, that's 0,0007" per division over 6.3". Yes, that thing is picky and probably overkill but sure is nice to have. It was given to me, so I have no clue on the price of it but I'm sure crazy expensive.

/ Garage hacks, adjustments and annoyances......... #139  
Yeh, the Sterretts are crazy expensive. I just got some Chinese thingies off Shars, these are the ones I have: 8" Master Precisions Level
I use them often, my floor shifts so I'm out of level regularly. I us my lathe for work, so I have to be on point with all that.