Garage hacks, adjustments and annoyances.........

/ Garage hacks, adjustments and annoyances......... #141  
   / Garage hacks, adjustments and annoyances......... #142  
Sometimes you can get pretty good deals on levels as well as a variety of things. I bought this 10" one for $20 quite a few years ago from a machinist that was retiring. I picked up a number of other things too.

IMG_0452.JPG

/ Garage hacks, adjustments and annoyances......... #143  
Sometimes you can get pretty good deals on levels as well as a variety of things. I bought this 10" one for $20 quite a few years ago from a machinist that was retiring. I picked up a number of other things too.

View attachment 656826

Yeh, that's a good find.

One time, I stumbled on a lady selling her late husband's workshop tools. I got a real nice vintage Craftsman full-size drill press in perfect condition, 2 basically brand new Procunier tapping heads with all the collets, a vintage Craftsman bench grinder that just needed a new switch...bunch of other smaller stuff I just don't remember now. Anyways, she wanted $200 for all that, I gave her $250 and she was ecstatic. I left with all that stuff, feeling guilty that I stole from a widow.

/ Garage hacks, adjustments and annoyances......... #144  
I bought my precision Starrett level about forty years ago and paid around a hundred dollars.

/ Garage hacks, adjustments and annoyances.........
First small project for the Smithy M-1230 with first breakdown, not impressed with this brand so I'm giving 2 stars. I couldn't get half way though this when the bed looked up because of one tiny hidden screw fell out, had to tare the whole carriage apart to fix it. I'm trying to make round fit inside of round and hard to do that somewhat right-ish without something for a boring bar, guess I should've bought one cause my redneck one makes more noise then shavings. It shouldn't take 5 hours to shave off 5/32-ish 4" inside a pipe, not to mention 4 hours to fix the lathe...:mad:

yp85XC4h.jpg

vfwL6qvh.jpg

Smithy lathe M-123 LTD - YouTube

/ Garage hacks, adjustments and annoyances......... #146  
As far as that boring bar is hanging out I bet it did talk to ya but apparently the setup worked so that's what counts. If that is schedule 80 water pipe it won't machine that good anyway.

BTW, you are in the machining world now so the proper terminology isn't 5/32, it's .1562 but you can leave the 2 off if you choose. :D

/ Garage hacks, adjustments and annoyances......... #147  
As far as that boring bar is hanging out I bet it did talk to ya but apparently the setup worked so that's what counts. If that is schedule 80 water pipe it won't machine that good anyway.

BTW, you are in the machining world now so the proper terminology isn't 5/32, it's .1562 but you can leave the 2 off if you choose. :D

Yeh, he could definitely leave the 0.000x off lol. I would say he should be ecstatic if he gets +/- 0.005 tolerance with the Smithy, but who knows. Oldpath, I imagine that thing has locks for the carriage and cross slide? Use those, it will decrease chatter. Especially on them little lathes.

I think it was just a heavy wall pipe, I'm trying to make a heavy duty hinge out of it, think it's called a barrel hinge. I first tried to just make a long bit but it was to low and wouldn't fit in the pipe so had raise that part up without going to long.

OMG I have the hardest time with .135, .156, .165, .185............ I can figure out .025 and .050 but that about it, I always have to ask my son what those other numbers are and keeps telling me think of it like money but I always had a hard time with that to.............

In short this is how my lathe locked up, why had to take it all apart just to free up one thing so that will free up something else, this lever would not let go so the whole carriage was stuck because of one little screw and that was rubbing on the lathe bed making a white line, I was wondering what was causing that. Thank God my son knows how to fix stuff.
H3XAvZfh.jpg

p2Ckxyjh.jpg

2VriDBZh.jpg

Zbr8ZQOh.jpg

Now that forward reverse lever isn't right it doesn't move as easy as it did, maybe we put to much grease on the gears, we have to take that back off and see whats up, picture below.

bp3yTE8h.jpg

/ Garage hacks, adjustments and annoyances......... #150  
If you do some research, you will find that the three in one machines are a work in progress. A digital calliper is a must have.