Garage heater

/ Garage heater #1  

dj1701

Platinum Member
Tractor
John Deere 4320, Kubota BX2680
Hello all,

I currently heat my shop with a kerosene torpedo heater. I have high ceilings,
but it does a great job of getting it toasty pretty quick.

The drawback is noise. I was wondering if there is any portable that will give me the heat
like the torpedo but has less noise?

Thanks
Dave

/ Garage heater #3  
I too have a torpedo heater for quick garage heat up. Yes it is noisy. But I also installed a cheap used mobile home furnace (bought used from a furnace technician for $100) that runs on kerosene or #2 home heating oil. If I'm going to work in the garage in cold weather I fire up the furnace and torpedo heaters and go back in the house for 15 minutes for another coffee. When I come back out the torpedo heater has cycled off on its thermostat and the MH furnace maintains the garage at the T-stat setting. I usually set it for about 60 deg. which for me is comfortable.
I fuel the MH furnace from a portable 15 gallon tank sitting next to it.

I have heard others use wood stoves or propane fueled infrared or ceramic heaters but have no experience with them.

/ Garage heater #4  
this is it.
also, if you use a hollow cone nozzle, instead of a solid cone nozzle, you can make your current heater quieter. the torpedo heater that I made was very quiet, it used an oil burner.. competition makes manufacturers skimp on quality..

/ Garage heater #5  
DSC04414.JPG

This is a radiant VAL 6 style heater, but better for large areas or outside. It only has a small fan for combustion purposes. They are expensive, so I waited five years before finding a bunch at auction.

The torpedo heaters will also make you sick in an enclosed space. These won't, or are not nearly as dirty. PLUS, they run on Diesel. I always had to buy and keep expensive kerosene on hand for the torpedo heater. Anyone run the torpedos on Diesel?

/ Garage heater #6  
If you can I would build a barrel stove.

/ Garage heater #7  
The least expensive option would be a wood stove that is what I use. The most expensive option would be a gas or oil furnace.
a coal stove is even cheaper if you have to buy wood!. coal also lasts a lot longer per fill..

/ Garage heater #8  
I have a nice big wood stove in my garage/workshop. Trouble is, you have a twenty minute job to do and you need to get a fire going a couple of hours before to heat all the mass up.

/ Garage heater #10  
I have a nice big wood stove in my garage/workshop. Trouble is, you have a twenty minute job to do and you need to get a fire going a couple of hours before to heat all the mass up.
I do have a newer used propane furnace that I can use for quick heat but my wood stove is my primary go to.
And another plan I've got is I am going to get several grapple loads of rocks from the tailings pile on one of my mine shafts and stack them on and around the stove as a large heat sink.