Garage heater

/ Garage heater #11  
In floor heat makes no sense for occassional heat, but it would be nice to take excess heat from ones wood stove and put it into the cold slab.

I have my stove on a two foot or so frame, to store a little firewood underneith and so I don't have to get on my knees to load it. But an "expert" woodstove friend chastised me, saying the stove works better if it can suck the cold off the floor.

/ Garage heater #12  
110,000 BTU propane hanging furnace in my attached 30x40 workshop/garage. Keep the thermostat set at 40 deg F unless I'm working. In that case, turn the thermostat up to 55-60 deg F and 20 minutes later (or less), I'm going to work.

Yep, I know the cost and it is worth it to me. Pays your money and takes your choice.

/ Garage heater #14  
I investigated ceiling mounted electric radiant heaters. Expensive and I wasn't convinced they would be effective.

/ Garage heater #15  
I put a 30k ventless LP gas wall hung heater in my garage and my shop. I would think a ceiling hung heater would be better but these ventless heaters work great and are cheap and easy to install.

/ Garage heater
Yeah, I want something quick. I don't want to have to build a fire to get warm.
a lot of time, I'm not out in the shop for long periods, so I want to keep it simple.

/ Garage heater #17  
I used a torpedo heater decades ago to heat my father's garage while working on my old truck. After a few hours of working, I heard a knock on the door. My oldest friend, a guy I knew all of my life, was standing there. I asked him who he was and what he wanted. No idea who he was.

Its nice to be warm, but its nice to have a proper amount of oxygen to the brain. Choices.

/ Garage heater #18  
I've got a 4500W ceiling mounted electric heater in my 20 x 26 garage, 2 x 4 insulated walls and 3-1/2" batts in the ceiling. It'll take the <5°C garage to a comfortable 15°C in about an hour or so. Sure it adds to the power bill but for the amount of time I'm in the garage in the winter it beats having to get propane or oil and I don't lose the space as I would with a wood stove......Mike

/ Garage heater #19  
So, OP What is your situation? Are you on an acreage with timber? small or large shop? Insulated or not?
My shop is at 5500' elevation 30x50 with 10 foot rafter height. R30 (10" fiberglass insulation) in the walls and nothing on the roof but in the Spring going to do 2" of foam so I have vapor barrier so the roof doesn't drip condensation. 3 or 4 logs in the morning and 3 or 4 logs in the evening, A few more if I'm working out there during the day. and in also has a 6 by 8 diesel generator Room which creates ambient heat and can stay warm pretty much all the time with minimal effort. But everybody's situation varies so if we answer some more specifics, I think everybody could give you better opinions or advice on what might work for you.

/ Garage heater #20  
I too have a torpedo heater for quick garage heat up. Yes it is noisy. But I also installed a cheap used mobile home furnace (bought used from a furnace technician for $100) that runs on kerosene or #2 home heating oil. If I'm going to work in the garage in cold weather I fire up the furnace and torpedo heaters and go back in the house for 15 minutes for another coffee. When I come back out the torpedo heater has cycled off on its thermostat and the MH furnace maintains the garage at the T-stat setting. I usually set it for about 60 deg. which for me is comfortable.
I fuel the MH furnace from a portable 15 gallon tank sitting next to it.

I have heard others use wood stoves or propane fueled infrared or ceramic heaters but have no experience with them.

I use propane heaters. A 30k mr heater torpedo works in my 24x24 but is loud.

Last winter I got a another heater that is a lot quieter and works well.

https://www.samsclub.com/p/dyna-glo-200-btu-lp-hrt-cov-2000-btu/prod16300076

I have a propane heater to permanently mount from a mobile home but haven’t got it done. And a wood stove to install.
I don’t want to give up the space required though.