Gardens

/ Gardens #1  

Shaneard

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ford 4630, Two IH 140's, John Deere A
Let's see some gardens and how you get them there.

Here's ours, I'm guessing it's 30’ X 90'. It has 6 rows in it. I didn't get to plow it this year because it was so wet and ours stays wet on one end and it's red land. I been cutting it here lately and ran the yard tool over it then listed rows in it. The wife and kids planted it yesterday. Squash, tomatoes, zucchini, okra & cantaloupes.
IMG_6828.jpg
IMG_6829.jpg
IMG_6830.jpg
IMG_6831.jpg
IMG_6832.jpg

/ Gardens #2  
Way too early to plant here yet, especially with as cold and wet as it's been this "spring". Typically, we'll plant peas, spinach, carrots and other cool weather crops around the 20th or so, but unless it's a very warm year not much else before the first week in June. I've found that if I hold off with potatoes until mid June the potato bugs aren't so bad.

Haven't even tilled yet, it's just getting dry enough to do so now.

/ Gardens #3  
It stays wet most of the time here anymore. But I did get a couple varieties of taters in. Maters and peppers just startin. Beans and corn have come up. Onions and lettuce ready. I also have some pots on the patio with various plants in them. Need it to dry up a bit to take care of the weeds. I try to mulch everything in, beats hoeing.

C981A4E5-6C84-4D1D-8810-EC71B109CF7E.jpegB8AC83E5-6A85-46A0-AFC3-70EA3C537E5F.jpeg9337226C-E134-4C3A-8BC5-A47B29FCE86B.jpeg

/ Gardens #4  
You plant on the ridges and we plant in the valleys.

/ Gardens #6  
How does that work? I致e never seen that before. If we did that here our stuff would drown.

Actually mine started out on the flat and became a ridge as I gradually hilled the taters as they grew.

/ Gardens #7  
How does that work? I致e never seen that before. If we did that here our stuff would drown.

It doesn't drown with about 8" of rain from may - october and most water being regulated with a garden hose.

/ Gardens #8  
About another 3 plus weeks before considering planting in our backyard.

/ Gardens #10  
I don't have a pic of this year's yet but pretty much just some tilled up areas at this point.

Local nursery has seedling plants for 28¢ ea so did some peppers & eggplant that way. Some tomatoes at the house too. But otherwise, planted 4,000 corn & 600 summer squash seeds last weekend. Will go check on everything today, but earlier in the week nothing had sprouted yet. Hoping all that will be finished producing by early July so I can do winter squash & pumpkins in same area around mid-July.