Gas cans - really

/ Gas cans - really #1  

Musdalen

Gold Member
Tractor
Ford 8N
So, I am about to take delivery of my first diesel powered anything. And that means I need to buy new gas cans, perhaps I should say fuel cans, for it. I have not bought fuel cans in decades, having plenty of old, but we'll made cans, until now. Unfortunately, it seems that all the fuel cans I see in most hardware stores are garbage.

Are there cans that are better than others out there? If so, where does one find something better than the plastic cans with all the various "safety" features?

/ Gas cans - really #2  
You can't buy a can without the "safety" features anymore. What you can do is to buy the can, and then buy a new spout which does not have the safety features.

Here's one of those: EZ-Pour HI-FLO Replacement Spout Kit 3��51 by Ez-pour for $9.99 in Fuel Transfer - Lube Equipment - Air Compressors - Automotive : Rural King

I have found one of the newfangled cans which actually works quite well. Just push the pour spout down and the fuel glug-glugs its way into the tank. It's not as fast as the old-fashioned cans with their vents, but it's far better than anything else I've tried. One big benefit is that it keeps debris and bugs from crawling down the spout, as it seals right at the opening by spring action. To me, that benefit is worth the hassle of the glug-glug. I don't know the brand of it, though....

Remember, moisture is your enemy. Keep it out of your fuel.

As for plastic cans.... well, rust in your fuel is no fun, either. Plastic doesn't rust.

/ Gas cans - really #5  
I have some older VP jugs that don't have vents that I paid almost nothing for. With their large caps and using a funnel they work just fine. But when full they do weigh a little. I only use them for a back up though as I have a 55 gallon drum that I have a electric pump in.

/ Gas cans - really #6  
IMG_1310.JPGTry one of theses nospill plastic cans.

/ Gas cans - really #7  
So, I am about to take delivery of my first diesel powered anything. And that means I need to buy new gas cans, perhaps I should say fuel cans, for it. I have not bought fuel cans in decades, having plenty of old, but we'll made cans, until now. Unfortunately, it seems that all the fuel cans I see in most hardware stores are garbage.

Are there cans that are better than others out there? If so, where does one find something better than the plastic cans with all the various "safety" features?

Gas cans lol, I address the gas can dilemma in this video. But to answer your question, another vote for VP Racing jugs! I got a couple at Cabelas. Also as a side note last time at Rural King they had jugs similar to the VP jugs.

# 7 Splitting & Stacking Firewood - YouTube

/ Gas cans - really #8  
I have several brands of cans, and No-Spill cans. The No-Spill spout won't fit any of my other cans. Don't rely on getting a another brand can, then adding a No-Spill spout.

Bruce

/ Gas cans - really #9  
   / Gas cans - really #10  
I don't know if you can get these anymore but I have four and they are great. I have the original GI - 5 gallon - cans and a simple steel flex nozzle. You might look in one of those GI surplus stores.