Gas from water? - A delusion, or maybe not.

/ Gas from water? - A delusion, or maybe not. #11  
I think it's a complete delusion if anyone thinks we are going to pay this much for a car. I also don't understand the complicated and expensive process these companies are going through to make hydrogen out of water in those home filling stations. Why use natural gas at all? Wouldn't it be simpler to just burn it in your engine instead and eliminate the step of making hydrogen altogether?

Plus what ever happened to the real simple way we learned of making hydrogen in th e3rd grade? Two test tubes upside down in a beaker full of water with wires hooked up to a battery inside each one. I forget which was which but one side made hydrogen and the other oxygen.
It seemed a lot simpler than using catalysts and natural gas to me. Cheaper too.
Everyone already has electricity in their house. Not many have natural gas. At least not the majority of people in the country.

/ Gas from water? - A delusion, or maybe not. #12  
alchemysa said:
Well we might not count in your eyes..
I said no such thing....

I will be more concise....

There is no, widespread, LNG delivery infrastructure in the US, one of the Big Three's largest markets.

/ Gas from water? - A delusion, or maybe not. #13  
My neighbor runs a car of his on LNG.

Liquified Natural Gas.

He sells the technology (for storage tanks and delivery systems) to China and the Asian-Pacific markets.

His LNG car has over 200,000 miles on it. No modifications to the engine.

He has been doing this since..................

The U.S. Government backed out of LNG distributions with the Roadway and JB Hunt prototype programs that were stopped in the early 80's.

/ Gas from water? - A delusion, or maybe not. #14  
I'm always excited to hear that people are trying to make fuel from water. There is something to it, and hopefully it's just a matter of time until it's figured out.

Another interesting story was on the bugs that create oil in their poop. The whole idea that anybody would even look into this boggles my mind, but then to find that when they eat certain things, they actualy create oil is amazing.

With all the oil that's known to exist, the only problem and reason that we're paying so much for it is politics. There is no shortage or unmet demand. The information about how much oil we have here in the US has stunned me. I had no idea there was so much of it available.

Eddie

/ Gas from water? - A delusion, or maybe not.
Reg said:
Lets see, for a 2 liter gas engine (nominal "small/medium" car) without a turbo the 4 cycle operation says that "consumes" 2 liters of air every 2 revolutions,
or 1,000 liters per minute at 1,000 RPM. .

Sure, 2 litres of hydrogen/oxygen gas mixed with 2000 litres of air doesnt sound much (a 1000 to 1 ratio). But lead (in leaded petrol) was mixed in at about .2 grams per litre. Thats just a 1 in 5000 ratio yet that supposedly raised the octane and improved performance.

As I see, it the purpose of this accessory is not to replace the petrol, its to provide an additive that can boost the efficency of the petrol from the normal very low point of about 30%.

/ Gas from water? - A delusion, or maybe not. #16  
WTA said:
I think it's a complete delusion if anyone thinks we are going to pay this much for a car. I also don't understand the complicated and expensive process these companies are going through to make hydrogen out of water in those home filling stations. Why use natural gas at all? Wouldn't it be simpler to just burn it in your engine instead and eliminate the step of making hydrogen altogether?

Plus what ever happened to the real simple way we learned of making hydrogen in th e3rd grade? Two test tubes upside down in a beaker full of water with wires hooked up to a battery inside each one. I forget which was which but one side made hydrogen and the other oxygen.
It seemed a lot simpler than using catalysts and natural gas to me. Cheaper too.
Everyone already has electricity in their house. Not many have natural gas. At least not the majority of people in the country.

Check your electric bill sometime; there is probably a line item something like, "fuel adjustment charge" on the rate.
Power stations burn coal, gas, oil, fissile material, or rely on hydro (gravity). Electricity isn't "power", but a means of transmitting power - somewhat analogous to a chain; load at one end, motive force at the other.
Using electricity to split water in any useful quantities would increase the demand for fuel at the power stations - the effect on fossil fuel price is predictable.
"Too cheap to meter" was never reached.

/ Gas from water? - A delusion, or maybe not. #17  
There are a couple of people around Indiana that are installing these on cars and the car owners say they see about a 20% improvement in gas mileage. The devices pull somewhere between 5 and 15 amps, comparable to the draw of some fog lamps. You have to add distilled water to the device. The numbers I cannot find anywhere are:

1. How much distilled water does it use?
2. How much does distilled water cost?
3. Does the cost of the device + the cost of distilled water add up to less than the fuel savings dollars?

One guy's device costs $400.00 installed and another guy's device costs $1400 installed. Both claim 20% fuel savings.

I'm trying to convince the local newspaper to test one in one of their vehicles and do a report on it.

WTA said:
what ever happened to the real simple way we learned of making hydrogen in th e3rd grade? Two test tubes upside down in a beaker full of water with wires hooked up to a battery inside each one. .

Actually thats exactly what we are talking about in this thread.

MossRoad said:
The numbers I cannot find anywhere are:

1. How much distilled water does it use?
2. How much does distilled water cost?
3. Does the cost of the device + the cost of distilled water add up to less than the fuel savings dollars?

Distilled water is dirt cheap. It costs about 60c a litre to buy. I make my own (for other purposes) for about 10c a litre. The gas unit described in the pdfs I attached uses about 2 litres a week. (A litre is about a quart)

/ Gas from water? - A delusion, or maybe not. #20  
alchemysa said:
Actually thats exactly what we are talking about in this thread.

And that concept has "evolved" into the hydrogen fuel cells of today.

The issues are storage, volume, materials and cost.