GC2300 frame flexing under certain conditions?

/ GC2300 frame flexing under certain conditions? #1  

eCRX

Bronze Member
Tractor
2004 Massey Ferguson GC2300, 2015 Cub Cadet XT2
I noticed that under rare conditions that my hood will move left\right. eg. if i put all off the tractors weight on one of the front wheels - climbing a 8in 'bump'. This does not occur 99% of the time, it just happen to catch my eye while using tractor fairly hard.

The other day the left side of my hood popped up past the 'detent' latch deal - my heart sank. I think my box blade may have hooked onto some hard ground at the same time I was climbing a step in my landscape (single front wheel taking the weight). Got the tractor back on flat ground, inspected from top to bottom. everything seemed fine. FEL is still strait, bolts were very tight, no cracks or welding issues on the frame. hood went right back down like nothing happened.

I can't find ANYTHING wrong with the tractor\frame\FEL. I used the tractor for 2 more days, working it pretty hard, but being more mindful. I'm obsessed with this issue every time I'm somewhat aggressive with the tractor, and it didn't happen again.

Anyone ever experience this? Is there a certain amount of frame flex that is acceptable with a modern SCUT? Do I just need to go easier on the tractor and call this a lesson-learned?

/ GC2300 frame flexing under certain conditions? #2  
I can't help directly (I have no GC machine) but if it will ease your pain I have a (large) MF2660HD whose hood will pop open and spring up into the air so high I cannot see to go further if I hit a bump beyond some level of severity. The latch is well designed but is supported by flimsy sheet metal and stuff that flexes or bends when a shock occurs. For example an unseen ditch, hit hard while bush hogging, often triggers it. I have modified the latch support mechanism twice.

/ GC2300 frame flexing under certain conditions?
hood will pop open and spring up into the air so high I cannot see to go further

lol. maybe it's built in feature? tractor is saying "oi! take it easy! 😧"

/ GC2300 frame flexing under certain conditions? #4  
2010 GC2400 (my daily driver, I deal with ditches 36" high on one side and when entering my hood stays down(no actual latch just spring clips) ...as one rear wheel off ground....) , 2021 GC1725M, 2021 GC1723 here.
its more likely flex caused by whats happening on rear wheels.
its the ONLY solid axle.
a 10" bump hitting front axle (which has approx 5-6" vertical play off level (IOW 10-12" total movement) will only twist frame 1"
10" bump hitting one side of rear axle is a 10" shift.
look for loose/broken cross members around the beginning of foot areas and backwards.
I would look at start at the crossbar in front of MMM lift shaft and go from there.
I only have 15 man hours dealing with a 2005 GC2310 so ...double check my thinking.

Last edited:
   / GC2300 frame flexing under certain conditions? #5  
A box blade, like many implements, can lead to sever damage to your equipment. Use extra caution, and keep your speed low when you are using it.

GC's are tough, but they are not capable of taking anything you give it.

As far as the frame flexing, my experience is with a 2310. That frame is beefed up, and I'm pretty comfortable saying it's real unlikely it's going to flex. But, I suppose it's possible on your 2300. I agree with the others though, it's probably something else.

I have a 1964 Bolens 600 tube frame, that the hood won't stay latched on when I hit a bump, and that frame is as tough as they get.

Last edited:
   / GC2300 frame flexing under certain conditions? #6  
Foam filled the fronts when new, the hood flexing became very pronounced. You learn to keep the fronts on ground that doesn't exceed the limit of the front axle swing. The higher the tire pressure, the more noticeable. Never been an issue in over 16 years. Do not compare it to a backhoe version, they have heavily reinforced frames.

/ GC2300 frame flexing under certain conditions? #7  
Only difference between tlb and non tlb is tlb has brackets bolted on. Frame itself is the same. My gc2400 does not have backhoe and I can, as stated before, enter a36 inch ditch wo frame flex issues. I also run a 5ft box blade, 7ft grader blade, 54 inch rear snow blower and I never have frame flex like this.

/ GC2300 frame flexing under certain conditions? #8  
Only difference between tlb and non tlb is tlb has brackets bolted on. Frame itself is the same.
The frame is the same. But, it's reinforced big time.

The brackets double much of it.

/ GC2300 frame flexing under certain conditions? #9  
The frame is the same. But, it's reinforced big time.

The brackets double much of it.
yeah I know. got backhoe and non backhoe sitting here now. couple hundred feet away is a 1725m backhoe I use a lot and a 1723 non backhoe I can grab if needed.
so...2 GC series sitting on lawn and 2 sitting few minutes away I can take w/o even having to tell owners.

due to how loader and backhoe brackets mount I really suspect if there is anything loose its the x-member in front of the MMM lift shaft.the backhoe frame mounts actually will not help with side-side flex really. there is no crossover between them. of its a tlb and hoe removed frame flex don't care about brackets on each side. if hoe on the pins prevent flex.

Last edited:
   / GC2300 frame flexing under certain conditions?
1664371873566.png

Dmacleo, which part are you talking about?