Geico, and/orOnline insurance quotes

/ Geico, and/orOnline insurance quotes #31  
Right now I have a friend on a beautiful rural close in property… 1 mile from the freeway and a county fire hydrant on his 5 acres of perfection… he has a 4000 feet home and my dream 4000 feet shop fully sheet rocked and insulated.

He is now looking at 25k premium if he can get it…

Ten years ago the policy was $2,500.

Where does it stop?

A winery down the road no longer has fire insurance… it was no longer viable… just business liability now and self insured for the rest.

/ Geico, and/orOnline insurance quotes #32  
Insurance Industry reports devastating losses due to California Fires and Hurricanes in Gulf Coast.

It would seem common sense that an area that has burned in totality will not burn again for decades.

Wouldn’t this be opportunity to recoup premiums at higher rates?

On the regulatory side the State continues to restrict many mitigation measures due to protected status of trees, reduced logging and environmental restrictions against disturbing soil.

I would by negligent by not adding the ban on gasoline two stroke brush cutters.

Not sure where it will all end but many says when it crashes and burns…

CA is not alone as Florida has its own issues as does Tornado alley.

Concrete filled block homes with fire shutters and clay tile roofs should be rated differently than stick built with split shake roof…

I have a protected oak that is almost daily dropping leaves… the tree is impressive but I am forbidden to remove because it is protected by ordinance…

I do think a lot of problems are of our own making…

/ Geico, and/orOnline insurance quotes #34  
My brother just bought a Genesis, never even heard of them before

/ Geico, and/orOnline insurance quotes #35  
Insurance Industry reports devastating losses due to California Fires and Hurricanes in Gulf Coast.

It would seem common sense that an area that has burned in totality will not burn again for decades.

Wouldn’t this be opportunity to recoup premiums at higher rates?

On the regulatory side the State continues to restrict many mitigation measures due to protected status of trees, reduced logging and environmental restrictions against disturbing soil.

I would by negligent by not adding the ban on gasoline two stroke brush cutters.

Not sure where it will all end but many says when it crashes and burns…

CA is not alone as Florida has its own issues as does Tornado alley.

Concrete filled block homes with fire shutters and clay tile roofs should be rated differently than stick built with split shake roof…

I have a protected oak that is almost daily dropping leaves… the tree is impressive but I am forbidden to remove because it is protected by ordinance…

I do think a lot of problems are of our own making…
For wildfires home construction does matter a lot. But what matters more is the wildland vegetation (fuels). That’s why I suggested that properties should be hazard rated and insurance priced accordingly depending on whether or not the property has been thinned and opened up to not carry crown fires.

/ Geico, and/orOnline insurance quotes #36  
Call me old, but it's so much easier to deal with an agent who knows all of that stuff and hopefully is trying to get the best prices.
Nothing to do with being old. That's how it should be done.

/ Geico, and/orOnline insurance quotes #37  
Well, the one I deal with actually owns the company. He represents Liberty Mutual , Progressive, Travelers, Safeco, Met life, Allstate, just to name a few.
I don't really consider those ''small companies''.
I have Travelers myself and couldn't be more pleased with claims I've had

To each his own I guess !
The incident I mentioned was 30-ish years ago, but I don't recall any name insurance companies being offered by this agent (and it was one of the larger independent agents in town). It was all companies I'd never heard of. I thought all the ones you mentioned had their own sales offices.

I've been with State Farm since then. Don't think I've ever had to make a claim so I can't speak for how well they handle them. Rates seem competitive and the local agent is easy to deal with.

/ Geico, and/orOnline insurance quotes #38  
I have always wondered why insurance companies don’t take a smarter approach in rural wildfire prone areas? A reasonable approach would have the insurance company inspect the property in fire prone forest and brush areas. They should quote a very high price for properties that don’t thin trees, brush, or mow tall grass. Then explain how much of a price reduction is possible if they do the necessary work to reduce hazardous fuels. Your choice: thick forests and brush = high insurance cost, reduced hazards = much lower cost.
I thought they did. My company came around last fall, took a bunch of pictures. Got a cryptic letter from the company referencing some things they'd like to see done.
Yeah but the agonizing commercials...(!)
I might consider jumping ship if my dollars were going to pay for that advertising
Yeah, Doug and the emu have kind of worn out their welcome.
Likewise for Flo.
State Farm ones are OK, thought the recent one with the rapper Ludacris was funny.

/ Geico, and/orOnline insurance quotes #39  
For wildfires home construction does matter a lot. But what matters more is the wildland vegetation (fuels). That’s why I suggested that properties should be hazard rated and insurance priced accordingly depending on whether or not the property has been thinned and opened up to not carry crown fires.
All properties in Oakland are rated and inspected and the standard is quite high…

Carriers use drone and SAT images for review.

The problem and why I’m in a high risk zone according to what I have been told is proximity to the East Bay Regional park district which is in the county… outside city control.

Last edited: