Geico, and/orOnline insurance quotes

/ Geico, and/orOnline insurance quotes #42  
How are you sure they have not done aerial survey of property
well, I don't. I suppose they could also do a sat. view of it as well.
I know no one has personally visited the property to inspect.
I have trees around close to the house, and they have never said anything about having them cut back as to avoid any damage.

/ Geico, and/orOnline insurance quotes #43  
I know some one has visited my property over the years, when I sat down with my agent last year there were exterior photos in the files,but wasn’t taken while I was home

/ Geico, and/orOnline insurance quotes #44  
My property / home has never been seen by my insurance company, or my agent
Mine neither. They just quote based on house size and value, heating methods, and distance to a fire department.

/ Geico, and/orOnline insurance quotes #45  
Site visits here are not unusual.

New policies I previously had also required interior inspection.

A few years ago I got a letter from carrier saying dog noted at the rental and notice of breed exclusion.

Problem is the State mandates tenants can have dogs if the dog provides a service.

The Pitt in question has a doctor note for the autistic child so State Law says ok and Insurance said no way.

Later regulators said Insurance cannot exclude service animal with no history.

Maybe another reason Insurance collectively leaving?

/ Geico, and/orOnline insurance quotes #46  
Funny; our agent visited when we bought the place, despite the fact that we were and are insured by the carrier that insured the prior owner. Over the years, I have let them know the upgrades that were done to improve fire resistance. The only one that we haven't done is interior sprinklers due to a long standing local ordinance requiring black iron pipe that I know will corrode with our water. (And therefore leak...)

Our local fire department has come by to check on how we are doing for compliance, and I work hard to keep them in the loop as well. However, given the terrain and likely inability to retreat from defending our home, I know that they won't defend it. My uphill neighbor with a tile roof and limestone walls, with easy retreat lines and an area for helicopter landings is the ideal staging and command point, and was for our last big fire.

Still, policy rules are often set nationally based on the actuarial losses that the carrier is seeing, and in some locations, expects to see. From what I read, carriers are getting quite sophisticated at understanding what factors drive losses, and, I suspect, increased computer analytics (aka AI) is going to both drive down residual human biases, and favoritism. I do not look forward to being dropped, but it would not surprise me if it happens, and I won't take it personally.

All the best,

Peter

/ Geico, and/orOnline insurance quotes #47  
I wonder how much is an excuse for not wanting to do business in an area?

Since the 70’s there always seems to be a reason not to do business in Oakland… way back it was redlining and the state addressed that and then it was old wiring so we put in new services and then it was distance to fire hydrant but insurance company didn’t have updated map showing fire hydrant at property… that was a struggle all the way to insurance commissioner…

Then it was a ban on aggressive breeds of dogs but State said with doctor note that service animal with no prior history cannot be banned…

Next it was ban on home business and then State jumped in and said you cannot ban home daycare which would seem one of the more problematic home businesses…

Now it is proximity to the public parkland…

All I can say is 40+ years I keep running into companies not really wanting to be here…

The only one that was successful shedding policies is the one setting a minimum policy amount requirement that eliminated most older property in the inner city…

My Grandfather said back in the day the number one reason for non renewal was insured loss history… so with no loss over multiple decades and properties you would think insurers would be lining up for my business.

Last edited:
   / Geico, and/orOnline insurance quotes #48  
I was told my insurance went up 20% to cover Insurance company losses.
Went up the year before too. They like to stay profitable, so yes, forced to pay.

/ Geico, and/orOnline insurance quotes #49  
My guess is the shift to the State Plan of last resort will continue to a point where the State has the bulk of the policies… just my opinion.

In California it’s called Fair Plan and earthquake is a separate line.

/ Geico, and/orOnline insurance quotes #50  
I don't worry about regulations . I live i pretty much a rural area with no restrictions. I can build a house, barn, wire, plumb, etc,. without any inspections. So when you buy in these rural areas, buyer better know something about building codes, etc, or they may be in for a surprise later .
I installed a 55 gallon drum as a septic tank when I added a bathroom to my garage