General opinions on R1 vs. R14 tires?

/ General opinions on R1 vs. R14 tires? #61  
The tread pattern clearly says they ain’t R-1 or 4. They are not turfs so what’s left?
Fact is I like them for what surfaces I want to use the machine on.
Nokian i Tri2 are a diff breed altogether. I use them in snow and they are great on the road. Probably not the traction of either R tires. More of a specialty tire. They are not cheap. I won't have them on my next tractor as pretty much none affordable. They are over 10k for the 4 of them.

Attachments

• IMG_0723.jpeg
    IMG_0723.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 69
   / General opinions on R1 vs. R14 tires? #62  
Not exactly true. I replaced the factory R1’s on my JD 4720 with R14 Nokia TRI 2’s on the same rim. Tire shop didn’t have a single issue.

R1’s sucked for my lite use and were horrible on ice and snow plus the ride was very rough. I had run nothing but turf tires on an old JD750 and then on a much larger NH 4835. They were abused on the NH year round but if it saw mud out in the fields it just stopped.

I love these R14 but they were rather pricey.
Would the Nokian tri 2 250/75/16
Replace an 8-16 r1 with similar diameter? I am looking for a wider front tire option with the same diameter for my Yanmar YT359. This seems to fit the bill.

/ General opinions on R1 vs. R14 tires? #63  
If they are the same loaded radius, yes. If not, no.

/ General opinions on R1 vs. R14 tires? #64  
The ground king comes the closest to the R14 design, The TRI 2 is a more highway oriented tractor tire, and the Hakkapeliitta is the snow tire version.
Goodyear / Titan have the R14 some of the other manufactures have there own tread patterns available.

View attachment 839899
Those Nokian tires are like my Yokohma Alliance 550 Multi Use that I have on the front of my TC45DA. I like them and the only issue is the sharp shoulders can cause damage to grass when turning sharp.

This is mostly about the rear tires but there is also information on the 550s.

/ General opinions on R1 vs. R14 tires? #65  
Anyone use R14's in soft, loam, low ground hauling logs?

/ General opinions on R1 vs. R14 tires? #66  
If they were offered when I bought mine, I probably would have gone R14.

/ General opinions on R1 vs. R14 tires? #67  
Anyone use R14's in soft, loam, low ground hauling logs?
By "hauling" if you mean skidding or forwarding, then any tire no matter what it is, should be chained for woods work.
Two reasons: 1. tire protection 2. increased traction when working in the woods especially when snow covered.
I log with ags. Even with them, traction is dramatically increased with even the simplest of ladder chain and the chains save a lot of tire scuff when maneuvering in ground obstructed territory.

/ General opinions on R1 vs. R14 tires? #68  
I have had all three. The R14 tires were fine most of the time, loading hay out of the field and stacking it in the shed, terrible choice while pulling the disc, let alone the plow or chisel. R4's, for what I do, I would never own another set. For me, plowing snow with tire chains, making and loading hay, and all the other things to go along with farming, R1's are the way to go.

/ General opinions on R1 vs. R14 tires? #69  
I have had all three. The R14 tires were fine most of the time, loading hay out of the field and stacking it in the shed, terrible choice while pulling the disc, let alone the plow or chisel. R4's, for what I do, I would never own another set. For me, plowing snow with tire chains, making and loading hay, and all the other things to go along with farming, R1's are the way to go.
Thank you, I have been running R1's on my 30HP in the woods for the past 7 years and have had no issues either, I do like the chains idea as @arrow mentioned above to. I was setting on a couple tractors yesterday and at first the R14's looked nice but they are really closer to an R4 than R1's in my opinion. My primary use is food plots and setting box blinds on my 40 acres but I have a couple dozen down trees and brush piles to move that are in my softer ground area so I think I will stick with R1's.