Generators - Backfeeding - 120V

/ Generators - Backfeeding - 120V #71  
Aaron,

They are side by side and fed thru only one meter.

The "InterLockkit" lockout are not code approved i my jurisdiction since they are not UL approved. Read their fine print and they say "Tested to UL standard" but they are not UL approved. That's why I plan to have those new panels with the interlocks built in installed.

Thanks, Tim

On a note UL testing is done to the manufacturers spec's.
Not to a standard set by an government agency.

so mfgr set's the spec and UL tests to this spec to see if it complies.

tested to UL standard means
mfgr set spec and a different lab tested it to this spec to see if it complies not the UL lab.

most electrical inspectors don't even know the testing procedures

tom

/ Generators - Backfeeding - 120V #72  
I'm the OP of this thread and here it what I did.

Originally I just moved a few circuit breakers to the 1 live side of the panel. I got pretty much the essentials on the one 120v circuit.

Recently...I found a great deal on a new 240v / 6500w (running) generator. I now back feed through a 60 foot 10 AWG cord to the clothes dryer plug with a suicide cord.

I tried it out the other day and it works great! Transfer switches are the legal way but economically I can't do that. $800 for a moron switch...can't do it. My procedures are written out... tags are used and nobody but me touches it.

Terrible.

Just buy a transfer switch, its the safe way.

People make mistakes, including me and you. It only takes one 'oops' moment.

What if you drop ill, your wife needs a simple safe way.

A transfer switch is way way cheaper than getting sued.

A transfer switch / panel lock out are being responsible, anything else is foolish. (i.e: being a moron, as your own words put it)

/ Generators - Backfeeding - 120V #73  
On a note UL testing is done to the manufacturers spec's.
Not to a standard set by an government agency.

so mfgr set's the spec and UL tests to this spec to see if it complies.

tested to UL standard means
mfgr set spec and a different lab tested it to this spec to see if it complies not the UL lab.

most electrical inspectors don't even know the testing procedures

tom

You are probably correct that they don't know the procedures.

All the Chief Inspector in my county wanted was for it to have an actual "UL" stamp.

And unfortunately, those Interlockit kits do not have that UL stamp. I have had several emails exchanges with the InterLockit company and they claim it's too expensive to get a UL stamp for the lockout kits.

I have Siemens panels now but Siemens does not make a lockout kit to fit my panels.

/ Generators - Backfeeding - 120V #74  
That's what I want to avoid.. I don't want a sub-panel... I want the ability to pick and choose which circuits I want.

But thanks for the suggestion.

I see. Sounds like you need a transfer switch located between the meter and the two panels. It is certainly doable, but more expensive.

/ Generators - Backfeeding - 120V #75  
I see. Sounds like you need a transfer switch located between the meter and the two panels. It is certainly doable, but more expensive.

Hi Travelover.

I was planning on something easier and just as cheap. I have talked to an electrician about install new panels. They are the Reliance 200 Amp panels with a "Built-In" generator lockout.

Here is a link:

TTV2005C Panel/Link | Product Details | Reliance Controls Corporation

The electrician said this would not be any more expensive than putting in sub-panels, transfer switches, total breakers etc.

He would wire up an inlet plug for each panel and all I need to do is plug in the generator and pick and chose which circuits "I" want.

/ Generators - Backfeeding - 120V #76  
Hi Travelover.

I was planning on something easier and just as cheap. I have talked to an electrician about install new panels. They are the Reliance 200 Amp panels with a "Built-In" generator lockout.

Here is a link:

TTV2005C Panel/Link | Product Details | Reliance Controls Corporation

The electrician said this would not be any more expensive than putting in sub-panels, transfer switches, total breakers etc.

He would wire up an inlet plug for each panel and all I need to do is plug in the generator and pick and chose which circuits "I" want.

Siemens sells an all in one generator and residential panel for about $250 . Ive installed them. Great little unit and also has provisions for an automatic transfer switch should the owner deside on adding it later. And it is UL approved.

/ Generators - Backfeeding - 120V #77  
Hi Travelover..................He would wire up an inlet plug for each panel and all I need to do is plug in the generator and pick and chose which circuits "I" want.

So, would you have to move the generator inlet plug back and forth between the two panels?

/ Generators - Backfeeding - 120V #78  
So, would you have to move the generator inlet plug back and forth between the two panels?

No. I plan to get a generator which has 2x240 outlets. One outlet will push 30 AMPS and the other will do 50 Amps.

/ Generators - Backfeeding - 120V #79  
Siemens sells an all in one generator and residential panel for about $250 . Ive installed them. Great little unit and also has provisions for an automatic transfer switch should the owner deside on adding it later. And it is UL approved.

Does this panel allow switching any circuit to the generator, or is it a split panel with 1/2 powered by a generator or the utility and half which can only be utility powered?
What model is it?

Thanks

Aaron Z

/ Generators - Backfeeding - 120V #80