Getting Closer, Am I unfair?

/ Getting Closer, Am I unfair? #1  

JP11

Silver Member
Tractor
Cub Cadet 2518
As the labor talks at my employer get closer to a conclusion... I am narrowing down my tractor search.

I'm looking to try out and evaluate a DX-33, L3130, and a CK30

Are these all a fair segment to compare? I realize that the price is probably highest to lowest with these. I am leaning towards the Kioti. But haven't sat on any.. so that's kinda just wishing.

Looking at 50 to 75 acres. Light 'fart around' logging, brush hogging, wood splitter, small chipper, box blade a 1000' driveway, snow removal, and any other 'work' I can come up with.

THanks for your thoughts.

JP

/ Getting Closer, Am I unfair? #2  
Those models will do the job but a utility would be my choice for that kind of acreage, BTW the hydraulics an a CUT will make wood splitting feel like the chinese water torture,painfully slow.Utility tractors are not that much more expensive and are a lot more bang for the bucks.

/ Getting Closer, Am I unfair? #3  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Are these all a fair segment to compare? I realize that the price is probably highest to lowest with these. I am leaning towards the Kioti. But haven't sat on any.. so that's kinda just wishing.)</font>
I think they're in the ballpark. Since I've only tried out the CK30 HST, I can answer about it. It will do a LOT of work. It's nice and strong, has telescoping hitch arms, a liftable PTO shield, cruise control, tilt wheel, and a nice seat, three ranges, comes with the hydraulic valve block and a joystick standard. All of this included as standard.
As for the amount of property you have, you don't really say how much of that will need tending. If you're going to do a whole lot of it, all of these may be just too small to do much in a reasonable amount of time, and I would agree with Dieselnhooters that a utility tractor would be better. Something with which you could pull much larger implements.
The CK30 has 12.7gpm flow on the hydraulics. I don't know what is necessary for good splitting as I don't have a splitter. Check out some splitters that would be appropriate for these tractors and see if the flow is sufficient to run them. John

/ Getting Closer, Am I unfair?
huh.. learn something new every day. I hadn't really put too much thought into it.

I told the wife that I SHOULD split the wood by hand for exercise. Might have to do that.

I plan to have about 2 acres grass, that will be cut with a dedicated lawnmower. I'll have maybe another 2 or 3 of bushhogging. and some trails all over for hiking and wife's photography business. Rest will be just woods.

I'm trying to avoid a BIG BIG tractor. Going for new and simple so the wife can plow the driveway while I am away.

So are all these close? Im going on what's around for dealers. There is a mahindra guy close by too.. And I know the family from long ago. Should I not look past mahindra?

JP

/ Getting Closer, Am I unfair? #5  
<font color="red"> I'm looking to try out and evaluate a DX-33, L3130, and a CK30 </font>

<font color="black"> I think you are looking at some totally different machines that really are not very comparable. The CK30 would be in the same class as a Kubota B7800 or B2910, the 130 loader is rated a bit better than the LA402 Kubota loader that fits on the B7800/B2910. Similarly, the CK30 would compare to the DX29 or the similar NH TC29, but then the 130 loader is far inferior to the NH / Farmall loader specs.

Moving up to a DX33 and the CK30, while a fine tractor is simply totally outclassed. Ditto when comparing the CK30 to the Kubota L3130. The larger Kubota's FEL is vastly superior to the 130 loader.

I think if you want to do an apples-to-apples-to-apples comparison, then you really need to rethink the tractors you are considering. As for the tractors you are looking at for the amount of land you are considering, I think you are on the very small end of the tractor scale for what you need. I'd be looking for something in the 40-45hp range. And I normally prefer smaller tractors for most people, but for 50+ acres, I think you'd find something smaller than 40-45hp to be very inadequate. </font>

/ Getting Closer, Am I unfair? #6  
<font color="blue"> the 130 loader is rated a bit better than the LA402 Kubota loader that fits on the B7800/B2910. Similarly, the CK30 would compare to the DX29 or the similar NH TC29, but then the 130 loader is far inferior to the NH / Farmall loader specs.
</font>
Bob, The Kioti KL130 is rated to lift ~100 lbs more than the Kubota LA402 and you say <font color="blue">....is rated a bit better..... </font>And the NH/Farmall is rated to lift ~100lbs more than the Kioti KL130 and you say<font color="blue"> ....130 loader is far inferior to the NH/Farmall..... </font>

Why would you say the Kioti Loader is only "a bit better" than the Kubota loader but "far inferior" to the NH/Farmall?" Based on your terminology.....I would say the Kubota loader would be "far inferior" to the NH/Farmall loader..........and the NH/Farmall loader would be "a bit better" then the Kioti loader.

Don

/ Getting Closer, Am I unfair? #7  
I am willing to concede that my wording might not have been totally unbiased, but I think generally I am accurate. The loaders are all measured in several places and in several ways. Lift height, breakout, load capacity at different heights, load capacity at the bucket and at the pin. So comparing them is fairly difficult, but when I did the comparision about a month ago I seemed to recall the NH 14LA rated greater. It is possible that you, or I, didn't do apples to apples? I also believe the sight line on the NH/Farmall loaders are the best in the industry, and while the 130 is a curved arm loader, it does not appear as steeply raked as the NH/Farmall arms, so again, I will admit to some bias.

Regardless, the loader on the Kubota L3130 is a beast compared to the little Kioti 130 on the CK30 and the CK30 is a totally different class of machine than the L3130; but the CK30 it does compare well to the B7800/B2910.

/ Getting Closer, Am I unfair? #8  
Bob, you must have missed this part of JP11's post. He's not looking to do 50 acres at all. He could do all of this with a CK20 as I do more than that myself with mine.
Except maybe for the 1000' driveway, I see no reason to go for even a 30 HP tractor, and the CK20 would be much more maneuverable around in the woods than any of the others. As JP11 said, just "fart around logging" etc. I do BIG logs with my CK20. </font><font color="blue" class="small">( I plan to have about 2 acres grass, that will be cut with a dedicated lawnmower. I'll have maybe another 2 or 3 of bushhogging. and some trails all over for hiking and wife's photography business. Rest will be just woods.
)</font>
JP11, there's no reason not to see the Mahindra. They make a good tractor, and something in the neighborhood of 20 HP there would also do the trick.
I didn't compare the specs on any of those you mentioned earlier as I was only going for the HP rating as being similar. I do recommend that when you get serious, compare really LIKE tractors and find the one you fit and that fits you well. Make sure you consider all the features that are provided without extra cost to those that add on. John

/ Getting Closer, Am I unfair? #9  
<font color="red"> Why would you say the Kioti Loader is only "a bit better" than the Kubota loader but "far inferior" to the NH/Farmall?" Based on your terminology.....I would say the Kubota loader would be "far inferior" to the NH/Farmall loader..........and the NH/Farmall loader would be "a bit better" then the Kioti loader.
Don </font>

<font color="black">
Don, I went to bed very uncertain of myself last night, so this morning I dug up the specs on the internet at the various sites. Here is what I found, and it seems to match my memory of the last time I dug this up. All are measured at the pivot pin, although some manufacturers also provide other measurements as well.

LA12 & LX112 = 1720 breakout, 1090 lift up to 7'1" (fits DX & TC18/21/24)
LA14 & LX114 = 2712 breakout, 1256 lift up to 8'2" (fits DX & TC 29/33
Kioti 120 . . . .= 1511 breakout, 1074 lift up to 7'4" (fits CK20)
Kioti 130 . . . .= 2046 breakout, 1155 lift up to 7'9" (fits CK25/30)
Kub. LA352FL1= 1336 breakout, 925 lift up to 5'8" (fits B2410)
Kubota LA402 = 1684 breakout, 1060 lift up to 6'8" (fits B7800/2910)
Kubota LA723 = 2605 breakout, 1870 lift up to 8'6" (fits L3130)

I pulled everything off of the manufacturer's websites. I think that what I originally posted stands up pretty well; the breakout force of the Kioti is about 700# less than the New Holland and 550# lower than the loader on the Kubota 3130. Lift capacity is similar to the NH (only 100# less) but is about 40% lower than the Kubota 3130's LA723. Lift height is 5" less than the NH and 9" less than the Kubota that is being compared in the original post.

I still believe the 3 tractors are fairly mis-matched machines and of different classes. The Kubota L3130 & the Farmall DX33 are simply a larger beefier class of machine designed for doing more than the Kioti CK30. The DX33 is a reasonable comparision to the Kubota 3130, and has a bit more hp, less breakout force on the loader while having more total lift capacity to a lower total height.

All that said, I like Kioti tractors, I just think this is not even close to an apples-to-apples-to-apples comparison when the CK30, DX33 & L3130 are being compared.

What I actually found most surprising (and upsetting personally) was that my little TC24 has a more capable loader than my larger B2910. I think in comparision, the Kubota LA402 is really a weakling. I've never compared any of these to JD specs, but when JD rolls out their new curved arm loaders for more machines, I would like to see the numbers on those as well.

As far as my concerns on the size of ANY of these 3 tractors for 50+ acres of land, I still believe what I wrote the first time that a 40+hp machine makes more sense on that size property. Again, I often favor smaller tractors than most people who post. However, I do admit that there are times when my machines cannot handle my tasks and I have considerably less property. Big land, even if the INTENT is to only use part of it, leads to big projects. I think a larger machine is in order. </font>

/ Getting Closer, Am I unfair?
John-

Thanks much. True, I'm not planning on managing much of the land at all. Mostly just trails, and branch off from the trails to grab some wood to heat with.

The only reason I had discounted the 20HP machines was due to ground clearance. I'm looking in the 15 to 20k range. I was hoping that would set me up with a 30HP and a couple implements.

I looked at a GC2300 the other day at the shop.. it seemed a little too lawn tractor ish for me. I thought that the CK20 was a lot smaller in frame size and ground clearance than the CK 25-30 That is my reasoning for the extra horsepower.. not the speed of the work.

The driveway will be the only BIG job I need to do fast. Or more accurately... I'll need at least a soft cab so the wife will do the driveway when I am away in the winter. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I was thinking a 6' or maybe even a 7' rear blade for snow.

Thanks
JP