Getting hay started this week

thorn

Tractor
JD 5525, JD 870
The weather was great last week here in Maryland, we had 7 days of dry, sunny, low humidity weather. I was able to bale about 10 acres and got 37 bales. Should have cut the rest, but with my luck, the weather would have changed and only had a day of dry weather. :)

I need to get a hay tedder. I usually try to rake it twice if it does seem to be drying well. I just make hay for our 4 horses and a few sheep and it might not be worth the cost.

i also need to clean my windows. :)

20210521_154855.jpg

20210521_154823.jpg
20210521_142952.jpg

repowell

Veteran Member
Tractor
NH Workmaster 75, NH TC40DA
My hay supplier is going up from $7.50 to $8.00 a bale for horse hay. Since we are down to 2 horses we only get 200 bales a year, so an extra $100. He said his fertilizer cost increased 4X what it was last year plus diesel has gone up. He has not increased the price in the last few years so I am not complaining.

OP
Hay Dude

Hay Dude

Tractor
Case-IH, Massey Ferguson & Kubota
My hay supplier is going up from $7.50 to $8.00 a bale for horse hay. Since we are down to 2 horses we only get 200 bales a year, so an extra $100. He said his fertilizer cost increased 4X what it was last year plus diesel has gone up. He has not increased the price in the last few years so I am not complaining.
That’s good of you.
We don’t make much on hay. Trust me.

Ortimber

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota and John Deere
I’m cutting this weekend here in SW Oregon. We’ve had a pretty bad drought, so hay fields are thin. I am excited to try my new Kuhn rotary rake though.

fried1765

Super Star Member
Top Poster Of Month
Tractor
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, 8N Ford, Gravely 12 HP "Professional", 48" SCAG Liberty
So.......you have begun your annual lawn mowing duties?

OP
Hay Dude

Hay Dude

Tractor
I’m cutting this weekend here in SW Oregon. We’ve had a pretty bad drought, so hay fields are thin. I am excited to try my new Kuhn rotary rake though.
We had a 17 day drought, just when we needed rain.🙃
Now we have heavy rain, just when we need it to be dry. :rolleyes:

OP
Hay Dude

Hay Dude

Tractor
So how has the hay weather been in your area? We have had below normal temps and soaking rains, sometimes 2-3” at a pop.
Cant make any nice hay. Cut right after rain and wishing 3 days the next batch of rain arrives.

Last edited:

Frankenkubota

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota MX 5800, SkidPro 4 in 1, Ratchet rake, SkidPro pallet forks
Yup
”just some guy who mows lawns”
Thats me
View attachment 700545
while visiting grandma in central Florida in the 90s I heard the neighbors lawn mower just running and running with zero change in noise or rpm etc etc etc. Like 10-20 minutes?

I walked around to his back yard and that's exactly how i found him.

Poor old guy dropped dead cutting his little lawn. And I had to tell granny, his wife and call the cops.

Citydude

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L4060 HSTC
Zero hay production for unirrigated fields in NE Wyoming this year. No snow this winter and no spring rains. Expected temperature today: 106 F.