Getting my YM169D fixed up

/ Getting my YM169D fixed up #1  

Johndeere3720

Padawan Tractor Learner, Advertiser
Tractor
Bobcat T62, MT55, E42R, E10, John Deere 4100
Well on Saturday it was raining, what a shock, we have had rain for 21 days straight so far. :eek: Anyways, I decided it was a good time to replace the hour meter cable in my YM169D that I ordered from Hoye several months ago. I Also needed to charge the battery and fix the fuel gauge problem. So i first took all the bolts out that hold the dash panel on and got a space between the sheet metal and the fuel tank that i could reach my arm in. Tried to unscrew the hour meter cable and it was a good battle, but it came off with some grunt. I wish I could have just taken the dash off, but After taking the nut off that holds the steering well on i couldn't get it off, even tapped on it with the rubber mallet and no success. After getting the end off, i took a look at my fuel gauge deal on top of the fuel tank. Cleaned off some of the dirt and turned the key, what do ya know, it works, just was dirty. :thumbsup: Next up was the other end of the cable. Talk about a hard location to unscrew a cable, you can see it just fine, getting your hand or in my case pliers in there and turning them to unscrew it is very difficult. After finally removing the cable, i grabbed my new one and lined it up so the slot in the end fit snug on the business end of the cable. Tightened it down and tightened down the other end. Once everything was hooked up I bolted the dash panel back on and started at the battery. It is a new Interstate battery, originally got it for my Simplicity 9518 but swapped it out with my YM169D since I needed the extra umph the new battery offered. Since it was now dead, i couldnt figure out why. But when I hooked up the charger, i found out i had put the battery on backwards. :ashamed::( Not a good thing, so I unhooked it and let it charge overnight. By morning it was fully charged again, hooked it back up the right way this time and my tractor fired right up. Now it starts better, the RPM and hour meter have came back to life, and the fuel gauge works. This is not the end, I still have a head light out, would like to add more lights and orange turn signals, get a cover for the fuse box, get the shift pattern decal, and a few other minor things before i call it anywhere from completely fixed up.

Attachments

• 3-26-11 001.JPG
    3-26-11 001.JPG
    901.3 KB · Views: 233
  • 3-26-11 002.JPG
    3-26-11 002.JPG
    906.5 KB · Views: 220
  • 3-26-11 006.JPG
    3-26-11 006.JPG
    896.1 KB · Views: 230
   / Getting my YM169D fixed up
Well, I just ordered a shift pattern decal, fuse box cover, and and extra key from Hoye today. :thumbsup: I feel like I am spoiling my tractor now.:laughing:

My parts came in yesterday and i got to put them on my 169d. The shift pattern decal is a very nice thing to have, especially if i had someone use my tractor, now they can figure out what the shift pattern is. :thumbsup: The fuse box cover looks very good on the fuse box and should do a good job on keeping the fuses protected and out of harms way when I operate in the brush. The extra key will be nice as a back up key as well.:thumbsup: And the finishing touch, I now have the Hoye sticker on both sides of the fuel tank. :thumbsup: Thanks Hoye! :thumbsup:

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    897.7 KB · Views: 228
  • 012.JPG
    012.JPG
    912.6 KB · Views: 271
  • 020.JPG
    020.JPG
    900 KB · Views: 231
  • 023.JPG
    023.JPG
    882.2 KB · Views: 326
  • 019.JPG
    019.JPG
    901.2 KB · Views: 207
   / Getting my YM169D fixed up #4  
Looks great. Those guys are great to deal with. Will any yanmar key fit or do you have to order it specific. More photos of that tractor working.

Looks great. Those guys are great to deal with. Will any yanmar key fit or do you have to order it specific. More photos of that tractor working.

Hoye was great! The key will work with all 3 cylinder Diesel yanmar tractors, not the F or FX tractors though. The 169D is a very nice machine, the things it will do never cease to impress me. I have done a lot of work with it, from mowing to land leveling to tilling to spreading dirt, it can do it all. :thumbsup: I still have a few more things i would like to do with it, maybe get a new inner tube for the front tire, check one of the back tires as it is leaking calcium onto the rim, making the 3 point stabilizers work since they are a bit long, possibly repainting the fenders, getting all new operation decals after the repaint, fix one of the head lights, add new orange flashing lights, and some forward mounted lights on the ROPS. This tractor will definitely get some more work done with it, I love it so much, it deserves to be taken good care of. :thumbsup:

Attachments

• 3-2-10 009.jpg
    3-2-10 009.jpg
    1,019.1 KB · Views: 321
  • 2-21-10 007.jpg
    2-21-10 007.jpg
    1,017.6 KB · Views: 392
   / Getting my YM169D fixed up #6  
Hoye was great! The key will work with all 3 cylinder Diesel yanmar tractors, not the F or FX tractors though. The 169D is a very nice machine, the things it will do never cease to impress me. I have done a lot of work with it, from mowing to land leveling to tilling to spreading dirt, it can do it all. :thumbsup: I still have a few more things i would like to do with it, maybe get a new inner tube for the front tire, check one of the back tires as it is leaking calcium onto the rim, making the 3 point stabilizers work since they are a bit long, possibly repainting the fenders, getting all new operation decals after the repaint, fix one of the head lights, add new orange flashing lights, and some forward mounted lights on the ROPS. This tractor will definitely get some more work done with it, I love it so much, it deserves to be taken good care of. :thumbsup:

Allways interested in the story about how people get their tractors. Have you had it long, did you buy it locally or from a dealer. have you done much to it. Do you have fluid in all tires. Great looking little tractor. I am just getting to know mine. As expected, not in a big hurry to sell it.

Allways interested in the story about how people get their tractors. Have you had it long, did you buy it locally or from a dealer. have you done much to it. Do you have fluid in all tires. Great looking little tractor. I am just getting to know mine. As expected, not in a big hurry to sell it.

I actually looked on Craigslist for about a year until i got the Yanmar. It was owned by a Christmas tree farmer who had "too many tractors" and had to sell a few. The Yanmar along with an older ford tractor were both up for sale on craigslist for several months. I called him up and worked his price down to $2800 and went out and picked it up. :thumbsup: I have done a few things with it since I bought it October 2nd, 2009. First off, there was a bad leak in the front axle where the axle meets the transfer case which turns the front left wheel. I got that all taken apart and replaced the seal over 5 days time since it was not easy to locate some of the parts. I also recently replaced the hour meter cable which made a big difference since i no longer have to keep track of the hours. :thumbsup: I also have added telescopic lower links to the 3 point hitch as well as an imatch quick hitch and a custom grill guard. Only the rear tires have calcium in them and they greatly improve traction and stability on hills. I have heard mixed reviews on the hp of this tractor, some say it has 16hp and some say it has 19hp. I think it is more like 19hp but I may be wrong. :( I love having my own tractor, it is a great experience and helps greatly for maintaining my mom's property and doing tractor jobs for neighbors and friends.

/ Getting my YM169D fixed up #8  
SSG510.......I agree....Hoye is a very good company to deal with. I have bought many parts for my 186D.....they've always been extremely helpful and shipped parts timely. As for the key......didn't know they had keys. I found a guy on the internet at Beachslock.com. He has just about every key. Inexpensive and very quick response. Jacob.......glad you're getting your tractor all fixed up. By the way.....I still enjoy the pictures you drew of my 186D. They hang proudly in the shop! :thumbsup:

/ Getting my YM169D fixed up #9  
SSG510.......I agree....Hoye is a very good company to deal with. I have bought many parts for my 186D.....they've always been extremely helpful and shipped parts timely. As for the key......didn't know they had keys. I found a guy on the internet at Beachslock.com. He has just about every key. Inexpensive and very quick response. Jacob.......glad you're getting your tractor all fixed up. By the way.....I still enjoy the pictures you drew of my 186D. They hang proudly in the shop! :thumbsup:

Jerrybob. Not trying to take over the thread but here are some photos of a 186d i have had my eyes on a couple years. It is neat because the powershift is on the dash and it has turf tires and a mmm. Any idea on the difference in powershift on the dash and down below.

Attachments

• 117.jpg
    117.jpg
    482.6 KB · Views: 347
  • 122.jpg
    122.jpg
    383.2 KB · Views: 254
  • 118.jpg
    118.jpg
    368.4 KB · Views: 246
  • 124.jpg
    124.jpg
    323 KB · Views: 278
  • 116.jpg
    116.jpg
    372.8 KB · Views: 277

Hows your 186 doing lately? get any good seat time? I have got a little seat time leveling out some gravel but thats about it.