Getting ready for winter

/ Getting ready for winter #11  
Plus the sun warms the house nicely. I close my shades in the summer to cut the air conditioning costs and open them on sunny days in the winter to take advantage of the free heat. And the cat likes to lay in the sunny spots, too. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Getting ready for winter #12  
Put the dogs heated water bowl outside. Gerard

/ Getting ready for winter #13  
Around here, wev'e still got two months of almost daily 90 degree highs! The only "White Christmas" we get here is when the sugar cane ash ends up on your truck. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Don't forget to clean the air conditioner filter!

/ Getting ready for winter #14  
Oh yeah, almost forgot, and many more lawn mowings. If, or when the St. Augustine grass gets a little frost, that kicks the wild clover in gear. Nearly year 'round growing season! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Getting ready for winter #15  
Wander your woods and mark dead trees before the leaves fall off...that way if you can have a Winter felling session and know your not cutting a healthy tree.

/ Getting ready for winter
MainGuy, Cliff & MossRoad

MaineGuy - I have 2' overhangs. Screens have never been damaged from ice.
Winter sun??? We don't get any at my house /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif
I live in a deep valley with hills on the E & W sides. Attached garage is on the S side.
With the winter sun coming across low, we get approx. 5 hours from when it rises over the E hill and goes behind the W hill.
Take all the aforementioned (2' overhangs, hills and sun coming across low, I don't believe the sun hits windows for more than an hour a day. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
I think I need to move the house to the top of the hill. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Getting ready for winter #17  
You mentioned changing your outdoor light timers. We use an X10 controller and X10 switches on our lights. The controller automatically adjusts itself for the change in sunrise and sunset based on your geographic location. It's great for holiday lighting, too /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Getting ready for winter #18  
Which controller are you using? Mine doesn't do that. I might have to get me a new toy. BTW, I I just put one of the X10 Alarms in Mom & Dads house after one of their out buildings was broken into and they stole Dad's Emglo air compressor /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif. He was upset, he had just put a new B&S motor on it and he had made a cart for it to make it easier to move around. I think he was more upset because he had lost his handy work. After that I talked Mom into getting the X10 system because we could monitor the doors to the sheds. I then talked her into ordering one for a Christmas present for my wife and my house.

/ Getting ready for winter
MossRoad,

I should have been more specific. The timer in question is for the low voltage lights running up the side of the driveway.

The dusk-to-dawn sensors on the sodium vapors are self adjusting. Not familiar with the X10 setup you're referring to. I'll have to check those out.