Glow plugs on 4110

/ Glow plugs on 4110 #1  

joes_427_vette

Veteran Member
Tractor
IH Cub Lo Boy, 955 John Deere , TC 55 DA New Holland, Bolens HT 20 and 1456
My cold blooded 4110 needs a shot with the glow plugs even when it is seventy degrees. Without them it will start after turning over about 10 times and expell some black clouds of smoke. If I place the machine in gear, turn the key all the way to the right for 6-9 seconds, release the key, place it in neutral and turn the key it will start on the first turn, no smoke. Is there an easier way ? The tractor has 146 hours, otherwise seems to operate fine. I wish they would have put a lite and timer on the heating system to make it simple.

/ Glow plugs on 4110 #2  
Mine is the same way, and I start it the same way you do...

/ Glow plugs on 4110 #3  
What year is your 4110? Mine is a 2003 has a glow plug light and you can hear the relay click off. Then it starts just fine.

/ Glow plugs on 4110
Mine is an 03.... maybe early production. Can you post a picture of your dash. Maybe I have a lite that never worked to begin with. Got to dig out the manual from somewhere. Secure storage where I don't even know where it is .

How does your key work ? Does it have a glow position without starting the engine ? Do you have to put it in gear to manually heat the plugs ? Now I'm curious.

/ Glow plugs on 4110 #5  
   / Glow plugs on 4110 #6  
I was wrong about the glow plug light. Its the battery and oil pressure lights I see. I wait for the click, that is fairly loud. Even my dad can hear it:D...

Here is from the manual... see #10

8. Turn ignition key switch to the ON position.

9. Check indicator lamps:

Park brake light will glow and flash if park brake is locked.

Engine oil pressure light will glow.

Alternator/battery charging light will glow.

10. Allow the glow plugs to preheat the engine. After approximately three seconds listen for a click. Engine is now ready to start.

IMPORTANT: Avoid damage! Do not operate starter more than 20 seconds. If engine does not start, wait 2 minutes before trying again or starter may be damaged. If engine does not start after four tries, refer to the Troubleshooting section.

11. Turn key switch to START position. Release key when engine starts.

12. Check indicator lights:

Engine oil pressure light should go out within 5 seconds.

/ Glow plugs on 4110 #7  
I just leave my 2210 in gear and turn the key. Goes for 3 or 4 seconds and you hear a click, maybe do this twice (now to my untrained knowledge I think the Plugs are heated) Put it in neutral and turn the key and it starts right up with less smoke. Takes a little more in the winter.

/ Glow plugs on 4110 #8  
I do not understand the reason that you would keep it in gear. The glow plug relay activates when the key is in the on position, not the start position. You could do the same thing by cycling the key from off to on twice and pausing for the relay when the key is in the on position.

Also, cycling the glow plugs more than once in the summer isjust going to burn up your glow plugs just so you don't get that puff of black smoke. These engines are simply going to puff black smoke.....

/ Glow plugs on 4110 #9  
What year is your 4110? Mine is a 2003 has a glow plug light and you can hear the relay click off. Then it starts just fine.

I was wrong about the glow plug light. Its the battery and oil pressure lights I see.

I was gonna say...no 2210 or 4x10 series had glow plug lights!

/ Glow plugs on 4110 #10  
I do not understand the reason that you would keep it in gear. The glow plug relay activates when the key is in the on position, not the start position. You could do the same thing by cycling the key from off to on twice and pausing for the relay when the key is in the on position.

Also, cycling the glow plugs more than once in the summer isjust going to burn up your glow plugs just so you don't get that puff of black smoke. These engines are simply going to puff black smoke.....

The glow plugs are only active when the key is in the START position...you can verify that with a test light.