Glow plugs on 4110

/ Glow plugs on 4110
Just spoke to the service manager of a large JD dearship. He stated prior to 2008 there are no timers or automatic controls fior the glow plugs. JD recommends placing it in gear, twist the key and shift to neutral for an assist when starting cold. Odd system he relates but it doesn't get any better.
He stated you may be able to add a system with a timer but the wiring for it is not presently in the tractor. The area service rep has my phone number ( they would not give me his ) and he will call to discuss the situation when he comes to this location.

/ Glow plugs on 4110 #22  
I checked my 4110 today with a test light, and it works EXACTLY like the info from the FSM describes it. There is absolutely NO glow plug ignition before the key is in the start position.

/ Glow plugs on 4110
Kenny;

So how do we fix Deere's short coming ? I don't like the gear switching every time I want to start the tractor. There must be something like adding a switch with a glow function while the tractor is in neutral ( replacing the orig switch, not a second one that could be left on by mistake and burn out the plugs ). I wouldn't necessarily need a light and timer. I can still count to five.

/ Glow plugs on 4110 #24  
I will gladly take mine apart and show that my plugs work with the key on the on position for 3-5 seconds. If this was not stock it would have been added at the dealer I bought it at.

This would be a very simple fix with a push button switch. All you need to do is energize the GP relay. Even something as simple as the JD horn switch could be used. There would be little draw on it since it would only close the relay.

/ Glow plugs on 4110 #25  
Kenny;

So how do we fix Deere's short coming ? I don't like the gear switching every time I want to start the tractor. There must be something like adding a switch with a glow function while the tractor is in neutral ( replacing the orig switch, not a second one that could be left on by mistake and burn out the plugs ). I wouldn't necessarily need a light and timer. I can still count to five.

I guess we have to find a tractor that has the GP position on the key switch...I personally don't see the big deal leaving the machine in gear or pulling the PTO switch but if you want it on the key switch I will help you locate one...

/ Glow plugs on 4110 #26  
I will gladly take mine apart and show that my plugs work with the key on the on position for 3-5 seconds. If this was not stock it would have been added at the dealer I bought it at.

This would be a very simple fix with a push button switch. All you need to do is energize the GP relay. Even something as simple as the JD horn switch could be used. There would be little draw on it since it would only close the relay.

I am very curious about what you may find, I just find it hard to believe there was a drastic change within the 4110 history-and that the FSM did not cover it if there was such a change.

/ Glow plugs on 4110 #27  
do like nmu98 said. put a simple bush button switch or momentary toggle switch in the dash and you guys will be good to go....