GM 2.7 I-4 Turbo gas engine.

/ GM 2.7 I-4 Turbo gas engine. #21  
Been liking at a new Silverado 1500 4x4 with the new 2.7 Turbo I-4 gas engine. Really impressed with the low end torque, it's all that I would need.

Does anyone on here have one?
I recently ordered a 3.0 duramax. I didn't want to deal with the 8 speed trans that the 2.7 is paired with. There have been tons and tons of problems with that transmission.

Your safest bet is to get a 21 with a 6 speed transmission but you're looking at the Customs or WT's. I went with an LT 3.0 to get the 10 speed. Another option is a RST with the 6.2 or an LT Trailboss with either V8.

And if you want/need 4 low, you have to get a Z71 or a 6.2 V8. All the others get a single speed transfer case.

/ GM 2.7 I-4 Turbo gas engine. #22  
I don't see a case for the four cylinder in the full size truck; it makes more sense in a mid size both for power and weight.
And particularly not when "tried and true" is defined by the 5.3 which has been fine tuned so much it gets remarkably good gas
mileage for its size.

If one could keep one's foot out of the turbo on the four I'm sure it has the capability of getting much better mileage.
But few do...you want a certain level of acceleration from the truck and the V8 provides that effortlessly. The 4 has to work at it, with
equally remarkable torque down low. Biggest problem with base six cylinder gas engine is it doesn't have much torque down low.
It was built to power Mom's SUV or minivan...
If you are daily driving it in Florida or Kansas, probably do wonderfully. But pull a heavier trailer up a hill and I think most folks would need more beans under the hood.

I think all big three truck makers produce a really good basic V6 engine.
But no four cylinder and no six cylinder engine is going to sound like my old hemi winding out, or a small block GM either. Coyote sounds good too...
And since we are about to lose it all not too far in the future, i think we might like to enjoy our nice noises now while we can...

Expecting a 6000 pound vehicle to get to 60 mph in 7 seconds and also return high mpg is simply unreasonable. Probably only electric could do that.

/ GM 2.7 I-4 Turbo gas engine. #23  
The 3.0 six mentioned above is GM's little diesel, it has the low end torque I test drove one when thinking about trading my V6 RAM eco diesel which is getting me 25 mpg on my trip this week both these engines have nice torque curves and pull nicely.

As far as the low range I wouldn't get a pickup without it or 4wd for that matter but both Chevy and GMC had that option in all the trim levels that I looked at, nut it was an option that had to be selected.

/ GM 2.7 I-4 Turbo gas engine. #24  
the shove in the back from a diesel or a turbo anything is simply irresistible.
One of my absolute most favorite cars was a VW TDI Golf. I was addicted to the shove of the
torque in that little car and the DSG banged off shifts like a little racer.
Plus it handled like a sports car compared to the American or Asian alternatives.
250 pound feet in a light car was fun. With diesels it comes in early and low. With turbos just a little later.
With electric, instant shove in the back. Which is why acceleration junkies are buying up Plaid model Teslas like mad.

so how much torque do you really need in a half ton truck, say pulling 7000 pounds?
And how much do you need if you don't tow, but rather gather bags of mulch and lumber for your shop.
Yes, 1000 torque numbers sounds like great fun, but most of us don't need it most of the time.
Meanwhile everything in the truck is beefed up to handle maximum everything and you wind up with a hugely heavy truck.
If you are towing, I think that weight is your friend. But not for going to the hardware store...

trucks and torque go hand in hand

/ GM 2.7 I-4 Turbo gas engine. #25  
I have a 2014 Chevy Cruze 2.0TD, I love this rig for a work commuter, as my drive to work is 40 miles round trip. When my bashed and battered 2004 Silverado 1500 bites the dust, I want to get a 3.0 Duramax Chevy 1500. My poor truck as survived running over deer, having a tree fall on it etc. I've rebuilt it every time.
101439883_10157284733785983_1623302040782372864_n (1).jpg
111202599_10157421745435983_1139656125230614111_n.jpg

/ GM 2.7 I-4 Turbo gas engine.
I recently ordered a 3.0 duramax. I didn't want to deal with the 8 speed trans that the 2.7 is paired with. There have been tons and tons of problems with that transmission.

Your safest bet is to get a 21 with a 6 speed transmission but you're looking at the Customs or WT's. I went with an LT 3.0 to get the 10 speed. Another option is a RST with the 6.2 or an LT Trailboss with either V8.

And if you want/need 4 low, you have to get a Z71 or a 6.2 V8. All the others get a single speed transfer case.
The 8 speed shuddering issues have been solved - Mobil 1™ Synthetic LV ATF HP | Mobil™ Automatic Transmission Fluid GM did flushes and replaced the 8 speed with M1 LV HP ATF.

Not touching a 6.2 - I'd buy an HD with the 6.6 gasser before getting a 6.2. No interest in a Custom or WT, RST minimum.

With all the emissions equipment, over the long haul I do not think a diesel is worth the hassle.

Last edited:
   / GM 2.7 I-4 Turbo gas engine. #28  
It's interesting that GM decided to use a four cylinder to compete against Ford's 2.7 ecoboost V6. Both same size and I don't hear many complaints over Ford's
smallest motor, more like continued surprise on how powerful it is. Maybe we have more faith in a V6 vs a four?...

Used to be a straight six was a fine entry level motor for a pickup. A big hunk of uncomplicated iron.
The challenge is our trucks have gotten so large and so heavy that now it seems to take a lot more motor
to move them around adequately. And we seem to want every truck to pull big loads, perhaps for bragging rights.
After I sold my farm in NC, I don't have use for a full size truck any more. So I have a new Ridgeline on order.

/ GM 2.7 I-4 Turbo gas engine. #29  
It's interesting that GM decided to use a four cylinder to compete against Ford's 2.7 ecoboost V6. Both same size and I don't hear many complaints over Ford's smallest motor, more like continued surprise on how powerful it is. Maybe we have more faith in a V6 vs a four?...
No heavy hauling, yet, but am delighted with my 2.7EB but for the dipstick hole. I can't see it with the dipstick removed. Tied a florescent ziptie around the top so now I can see that shadowed by the dipstick to know when I'm finding the hole.

/ GM 2.7 I-4 Turbo gas engine. #30  
The thing with big gas engines operating at half throttle, is that it takes power to suck air through the throttle, youre choking the engine to control the air flow, which should keep in constant ratio with the fuel injected.

So when you pick a smaller displacement for the same average power consumption, youre lowering throttle losses. And when the throttle is wide open, the turbo gives the extra power to meet that of a bigger engine.

....which leads to the conclusion that if you operate the bigger engine in high load conditions, throttle losses are smaller so the difference between a small turbo engine and a bigger motor with the same power, is less.