GMC Canyon input requested

/ GMC Canyon input requested #31  
The answer to that is, you had a Dakota!!

My brother has had a couple, they were NEVER even close to the same mpg of an equal sized Chevy!

SR

Exactly! Besides, the Dakota never was meant to be a small truck; it was touted as something in between small and full sized. They had all of the disadvantages of both and rode like an 8N Ford to boot.

I had two of them then bought a tired Toyota and couldn't believe the difference in cost to run the latter.

/ GMC Canyon input requested #32  
The answer to that is, you had a Dakota!!

My brother has had a couple, they were NEVER even close to the same mpg of an equal sized Chevy!

SR

Yeah, them Dakotas were never known to be good on gas. Comparing a old Dakota to new technology is like comparing a hammer to a scalpel.

/ GMC Canyon input requested #33  
As far as I am concerned, it was partly the stupid "SPORTY" appearance with wide tires that resulted in the sheity gas mileage.

I shouldn't say this, but driving the Dakota, and seeing FORD Rangers on the road, I wondered if they would ever figure out that you could use curved cabin glass! lol

/ GMC Canyon input requested #34  
My new Silverado, it's shocking to me how good it is on gas!

I've had full side pu's since 1972 and they have gradually got better, but this new technology has really made them much better.

SR

/ GMC Canyon input requested #35  
It's not like there aren't a whole bunch of costs associated with modern vehicles that were not there in 72. Not to mention the purchace price adjusted for inflation of course.

/ GMC Canyon input requested #36  
I had a 2017 GMC Canyon that I put just over 45,000 miles on. I thought it was a very good truck but I too had the transmission shutter issue at about 35,000 miles. GM changed the transmission fluid under warranty and much to my surprise, completely resolved the shutter issue. Other than that, the truck was trouble free. But I still had a concern about a potential problem down the road with the tranmission.

So when my lease was getting close to expiring I went shopping for a replacement truck. I was intrigued by the new Ford Ranger. At the end of 2019 Ford announced a pretty impressive rebate on the remaining 2019 XLT models. This is what I ended up getting.

The jury is out on whether I like the Ranger over the Canyon. I have just over 6,000 miles on the Ranger and I am not overwhelmed with the 2.3 Ecoboost. It has some low end torque that pretty nice but it loud and noisy at low rpm. My gas mileage experience is showing about 1 mpg less than the Canyon. So for right now, I would take the 3.6 v6 in the Canyon over the ecoboost in the Ford. The ten speed transmission is a bit jerky but again Ford says this is normal.

The Ford ride is quieter than the Canyon in my opinion. Some of the electronic gadgetry in the Ford drive me crazy but I suspect that is an issue with all new vehicles. I yearn for the day that every control related to heating and air conditioning was controlled with knobs. In the old days, you could actually turn the heat intensity down and still keep your eyes on the road.

So these are just my opinions. But I haven't decided which of these two mid size trucks I like better. Now, should Ford ever shoe horn the 2.7 Ecoboost into the Ranger, well then we will have a truck that would be hard to beat.

/ GMC Canyon input requested #38  
Interesting. So what have we solved here?

What we solved I think, is that one can find support for their whims regardless of which direction they want to go. What I have learned is that I believe nothing I read in Consumer's Report - they're very biased. And I believe nothing 100% in any "expert" evaluation be it about pocket knives or whatever. One I suppose is to determine what fits their needs and support that with their pocket books. The OP's choice is the only one that counts for his personal decision.

/ GMC Canyon input requested #39  
I had a 2017 GMC Canyon that I put just over 45,000 miles on. I thought it was a very good truck but I too had the transmission shutter issue at about 35,000 miles. GM changed the transmission fluid under warranty and much to my surprise, completely resolved the shutter issue. Other than that, the truck was trouble free. But I still had a concern about a potential problem down the road with the tranmission.

So when my lease was getting close to expiring I went shopping for a replacement truck. I was intrigued by the new Ford Ranger. At the end of 2019 Ford announced a pretty impressive rebate on the remaining 2019 XLT models. This is what I ended up getting.

The jury is out on whether I like the Ranger over the Canyon. I have just over 6,000 miles on the Ranger and I am not overwhelmed with the 2.3 Ecoboost. It has some low end torque that pretty nice but it loud and noisy at low rpm. My gas mileage experience is showing about 1 mpg less than the Canyon. So for right now, I would take the 3.6 v6 in the Canyon over the ecoboost in the Ford. The ten speed transmission is a bit jerky but again Ford says this is normal.

The Ford ride is quieter than the Canyon in my opinion. Some of the electronic gadgetry in the Ford drive me crazy but I suspect that is an issue with all new vehicles. I yearn for the day that every control related to heating and air conditioning was controlled with knobs. In the old days, you could actually turn the heat intensity down and still keep your eyes on the road.

So these are just my opinions. But I haven't decided which of these two mid size trucks I like better. Now, should Ford ever shoe horn the 2.7 Ecoboost into the Ranger, well then we will have a truck that would be hard to beat.

You say that your Ranger gets 1mpg less than your Colorado did, would you care to share those actual numbers? Right now gas is cheap but I don't expect it to remain that way. My next truck will be to use when I retire and I want to be able to afford to run it.