Good morning!!!!

/ Good morning!!!! #139,761  
RS, you are guarding that Rose of Sharon like a 14 year old daughter...will the deer wreck them?

I don't know what 3M is selling for now but I found some Texas made N95 masks on Amazon for what seemed
a reasonable price. If it actually costs ten cents a piece to make them, I think I'd be annoyed...
KN95 masks, which I buy a fair amount of in different colors for my church and the nursery school there, generally cost
under a dollar a piece. So while I'm paying perhaps 3 times more for the US made NIOSH certified mask, it still only costs a couple
bucks a piece and is reusable. Just wish the better ones were easier to breathe through.

We worry a lot about viruses. Firemen used to worry about breathing stuff that would kill or cripple them.
SCBA aka Scott Pacs really helped rural fire companies operate more safely; wasn't just the big cities with the
good safety equipment. I wore one for about six years, not fond memories of sweating in them and big dents on your head
for a while where the straps and edges bit into you. "Old Leather Lungs" were of a generation that has now almost totally
died off from COPD. I usually went through two air bottles and by then the fire was out or someone else took over.
Once went through three.

So many of my personal pictures didn't make this last move, but my fireman stuff did.
This is me after a third Scott bottle sitting down simply exhausted looking up at an enormous
blaze when the Union Camp paper mill warehouse went up in flames just South of New Hope.
Big oil soaked timber warehouse building sitting right next to the Delaware River and River Road, and big steep hill on other side of road.
So all the fire apparatus were staged way too close to the fire.
Plastic light covers melted on several pumpers until they backed them up.
I got burns on my chest from the metal buttons on my turnout gear getting so hot
they reddened my skin. I was pulling off that coat like I had cinders down my back.
Mill was abandoned, allegedly set on fire by vagrants, so they finally just let it burn. We had pretty much exhausted all the local water and
mutual aid companies from I think five other volunteer fire companies and once they were sure it wasn't going to burn all the way up to Odette's restaurant,
everyone went home but us. I think we had trucks there for three days.

And I was thinking how to explain that feeling to that 8th grade boy who was so excited about being a fireman.

Attachments

• IMG_0396.JPG
    IMG_0396.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 81
   / Good morning!!!! #139,762  
...snip...
This is me after a third Scott bottle sitting down simply exhausted looking up at an enormous
blaze when the Union Camp paper mill warehouse went up in flames just South of New Hope.

That is a very powerful picture.

A lot of emotions come through. You should document that time/event on the back of the pic for future reference. If you have not already.

/ Good morning!!!! #139,763  
RS, you are guarding that Rose of Sharon like a 14 year old daughter...will the deer wreck them?

I don't know what 3M is selling for now but I found some Texas made N95 masks on Amazon for what seemed
a reasonable price. If it actually costs ten cents a piece to make them, I think I'd be annoyed...
KN95 masks, which I buy a fair amount of in different colors for my church and the nursery school there, generally cost
under a dollar a piece. So while I'm paying perhaps 3 times more for the US made NIOSH certified mask, it still only costs a couple
bucks a piece and is reusable. Just wish the better ones were easier to breathe through.
I was able to purchase N95 masks at McMaster-Carr a couple weeks ago, the same ones I've been wearing for 18 months now. Literally the same mask, for 18 months! Yech! I tried others, but the didn't fit as well, weren't as comfortable, and fogged my glasses. Very reasonabie price, too. I don't have a link, but this should get you to them on their website:
Disposable Respirator
for Use with Solid Particles, N95 Filter, # TC-84A-0013
5450T14
1 Pack of 15 each
$24.05

/ Good morning!!!! #139,764  
Sun came out bright for about 15 minutes, then back into the soup. Around 70 now.
Got the carb in the EZGO yesterday, new plugs are next. Old ones were carbon coated and closed to about .016/.020.
Internet is down so I’m going to attempt to post on cell.

/ Good morning!!!! #139,765  
67°F and .57 inches rain. A bit drier

Plan is to get floor prep finished get boxes of flooring opened and laid out. Can’t imagine there is much acclamation needed as they have been stored in tractorshed just 20 plus ft other side of the wall.

H&F this afternoon

Prayers for all
Be safe
Have a great day

/ Good morning!!!! #139,766  
Feel your pain, Roy. Came home yesterday to find Makani had one of their floor pillows outside and completely disassembled. Something about the filling? How he manages to get it through the doggy door has to be a lot of work. Anyway, they are now down to a single pillow at least until Sophie has a change of heart.

/ Good morning!!!! #139,767  
77F and mostly cloudy @ 13:00, headed up to a high of 82F. Big cool down after tomorrow.

Up late last night so slow to get rolling today.

Not sure what all will be on the agenda for today.

Need to refill hopper feeder at least.

Pick tomatoes that are ripe.

May go over to neighbor's and work on her project for a bit, and see if I can't push that forward some.

Beyond that who knows ? ... ;)

Hope everyone has an enjoyable, productive, and safe day ... (y)

/ Good morning!!!! #139,768  

They have already nibbled off the highest buds on the top of that particular plant since we planted it up there.

While Rose of Sharon may be considered deer-resistant (possibly due to the deer not caring for the taste), multiple deer can do a good bit of damage just "sampling" the plant ... only to find out that they don't like it.

We have a small lilac that isn't flourishing that has received similar treatment ... repeatedly.

As well as several smaller rhododendrons that they have eaten flower buds off of (that usually happens over winter)

Add to that bucks trying to scrape velvet off their antlers which can do some fairly serious damage (mostly to our arborvitae, although they'll hit other stuff as well)

Although we typically don't see all that many deer at a time, I was talking to a neighbor in the last week or so who feeds them ear corn, he mentioned he had seen 15 - 20 of them in a small herd recently.

I have seen that many at once but it's been a number of years.

It's a good bet that they are out there though.

BTW, great picture and story on your fire-fighting experiences ... (y)

/ Good morning!!!! #139,769  
One thing that has always peeved me about my Kioti tractor is the headlights. They are far too high even when dipped. There is no adjustment whatsoever. Compounded by the FEL of course.
I might have to consider something like Ron has done to the Kwakka. I fitted a rear floodlight years ago.
Nice job you did there mate.

/ Good morning!!!! #139,770  
Good afternoon! 76 now. Rain starting tomorrow.

Had a very pleasant lunch today. Having meetings at work. I only had to be involved on Tuesday. The service group went to lunch in town, we sat outside. Was about a perfect day to eat outside. Very pleasant. Had. Gyro, pretty tasty.

First half of October has been exceptionally nice weather around here. It is coming to an end, hate to see it go.

Not sure I have ever been hit by a walnut, Horse apple, or any other sort of falling object from a tree in all the years I have been riding. But I have had a couple of way too close encounters with buzzards!

Everyone stay safe out there!