Good morning!!!!

/ Good morning!!!! #135,811  
IMG_0265.JPG

Oh, I forgot to post our peek-a-boo friend on Whipper’s walk yesterday evening.

RNG, I also was thinking about safety harnesses.

Bird do you remember the brand name of your Windmill?

/ Good morning!!!! #135,812  
Eric, glad the trespassers did not cause damage. Glad it was only air guns. I guess they would have to go to a shooting range to shoot? Or their own land?

Kyle, outdoor air rifle shooting is a popular sport here, with at least 3 different monthly magazines and 2 very active web sites. It is not too hard to find a "Field Target" club for people who do not have big enough gardens to shoot at home. The uninvited visitors were neither keen shots nor bad people, I just wish they had knocked on my door, explained who they were and asked if they could camp for a night and built up some trust before having any thoughts of shooting on someone else's property.

I know I am very lucky to be in the small minority of people who have their own land. It is something I will never take for granted and I am happy to freely share it with others occasionally, such as those who have asked to fish the pond, a couple who trained their gundog to do water retrieves, or a local birder who wanders far from the public footpath to see rarer birds. The one thing they all have in common is that they all asked nicely first.

I have said "no" to a couple of guys who wanted to come and shoot ducks and in more recent times, the local hunt who traditionally came over this land chasing foxes, although nowadays that is illegal so they follow artificial sent trails. For several years I got the sheep out of the way to allow them to pass through our fields on horseback, but in that time they never once asked if they could help in any way and twice made a mess of wet ground that I had asked them to keep away from. They did send me an invitation to their annual ball - not a freebie though as the letter also stated how much it would cost for the privilege of attending. Now my gates remain padlocked when the hunt are out and I have planted hawthorn where there was once a jump over to the neighbour's land.

/ Good morning!!!! #135,813  
Another cloud free day here. At 28C/82F the heat would be nothing for many of you, for us it is more of a struggle, as we slowly learn to do nothing much except sit in the shade and watch buzzards soar high in the sky.

Actually I am surprised the buzzards and kestrels are able to fly today after gorging themselves yesterday on a banquet of voles served up by the hay cutting. We let Max out in the late afternoon but soon had to lock him indoors again as he just wouldn't stop sneaking away to gulp down yet more sun ripened de-capitated voles.

Don, I wouldn't fancy climbing that ladder, a sure sign I am admitting getting older. Will we see some aerial shots from the cherry picker at the next oil change ?

/ Good morning!!!! #135,814  
Boy...for a forecast of "light rain" and "showers", it's coming down steady and a bit more then "light rain"

Looks great and I'm enjoying watching the rain fall...

/ Good morning!!!! #135,815  
Good morning all. Happy Sunday.

Hopes to be a great day. No rain, high temp 82F.

Church then brunch then a lazy day fiddling in the garden and enjoying the landscape.

This evening both boys will be over for dinner. Just some grilled hamburgers, mixed veggies, fries and pie.

Hope to eat on the screen porch this evening - should be wonderful.

Started “harvesting” lots of stuff from the garden - tomato’s, cucumbers, green and banana peppers, squash and eggplant. Like lots of folks on this site, we get so much we are giving baskets to family and friends.

Stay safe and healthy.

MoKelly

/ Good morning!!!! #135,816  
84 now, they say 86 later but it may well be hotter. We got .71” of rain last night in a fairly brief thunderstorm.
It doesn’t seem we’re getting much benefit from the passage of the cold front, still very humid. We missed church this morning, we were dressed and ready but somehow let the time slip away it was about time for the service when my wife realized it.
Some friends stopped by later for a few minutes. Several do it’s today, then dinner with friends later.
Have a good day.

/ Good morning!!!! #135,817  
txdon wrote "Bird do you remember the brand name of your Windmill?"

No idea at all. I know it was there in 1942 and I'm pretty sure it was pre-1940.

Last edited:
   / Good morning!!!! #135,818  
68°F and .8 inches rain.

Sophie’s Craftsman back running. Proved to be water in gas again. Tank fully drained. Changed the spark plugs as well. Didn’t pull the carb, just run it thru. Might be time to get some new gas cans.

Prayers for all
Be safe
Have a great day

/ Good morning!!!! #135,819  
txdon said, "Most older windmill's manuals require oil change out once a year. They have been doing the yearly maintenance long before I got here."

I don't recall our windmill ever having an oil change. You don't suppose my memories from 65 years ago could be fading, do you? I do seem to recall it sometimes getting to "squealing?" and I had to turn it off and get up there with a little oil squirt bottle to oil it. But I suppose that memory could be a bit wrong, too.

I don’t think the one I looked at years ago had an oil gearbox, which is why it was worn out and they put up a new one.
This is the one that replaced the worn one.
IMG_0196.JPG

/ Good morning!!!! #135,820  
Feeling OK...bit stuffy...
This COPD isn't going to get better...best can be done is control it. I'll be going to the doctor's this week and there are inhalers that help (wife's been on inhalers since her heart valve replacement...they're used as needed, not constantly).
I found this study interesting.

"120 COPD patients were randomized into two groups. Half were told to boost their fruit and vegetable consumption, and the other half stayed on their regular diet. The intervention group was told to eat at least one more serving a day of fruits or vegetables. And they did, and they did for three years. More fruit, and more vegetables, than control.

Here’s the control group. Slowly but surely, they got worse. That’s what happens in COPD (emphysema); you get worse, and worse, and then you die.

The group told to eat at least one more measly serving of fruits or vegetables every day started out the same, but didn’t get worse. One year, two years, three years. In fact, if anything, it looks like their lung function got a little better. That’s not supposed to happen; you’re supposed to get worse.

Could be the antioxidant effect of fruits and vegetables; could be the anti-inflammatory effect; or, frankly, it may not directly be the fruits and vegetables at all. When you eat more of one thing, you tend to eat less of another. For example, the addition of fruits and vegetables resulted in a decreased consumption of meat, which is known to be a pro-oxidant.

Either way, though, there is now hope. These findings suggest that a dietary shift to higher-antioxidant food intake may be associated with improvement in lung function. And, in this respect, dietary interventions might be considered in COPD management."