Good morning!!!!

/ Good morning!!!! #154,101  
Good morning to all! Low of 54°, going up to 87°, still chances of showers.
The T-storms didn't materialize yesterday, again..... just some dark clouds all around. Maybe luckier today....

BEF, the fence really cuts down on the wind / dirt blowing. When up on our deck, you can see over it easily, also when looking out the windows from the house. The foundation of the house is 3' out of the ground, so it's like looking over a 3' fence. But, plenty of privacy when in the courtyard.

You guys are sure feeling the 3 H's..... stay hydrated, try to stay cool....

We did manage to get an apple tree planted in the second bed yesterday. Today will be a larger shrub and 2 small ones. Won't be too hard.

Did some more diagnosing on the daughter's jeep. Front brakes, rotors, and bearings needed for sure. Apparently the daughter's boyfriend "rides the brakes" when he drives..... those components were almost welded together by the heat... There might be a problem with the differential gears too... won't know until the other parts are replaced.

Needless to say, she was not a happy camper! He came up with some bucks that will cover over half of the costs, so might be waiting until he gets the rest of the money before getting it all done.

Going to take advantage of the morning temps and get out there....

Everyone have a great day!

/ Good morning!!!! #154,102  
Good Morning Everyone,

2 solid days of rain behind us, hopefully nicer day today. The ice cream cruise must go on, on Friday Nights. More bookkeeping coming in ... somehow I need to find a way to stagger that a bit. Nothing for months, then three new / and late filings brought over this week (all in a rush) ... it's my casual job, - chickens and yardwork wait a bit I guess.
Speaking of chickens, last night I moved the 2 month old chick into the Big House and run, and then I chicken wrangled the hen and 2 chicks into a smaller / safer set up. I noticed that the chicks were out with the hen in the general populaton area, that meant that the chicks were in danger of falling into the kiddie turtle pool ... that never ends well. They'll need that segregation unit for at least a month.
Sister In Law has determined that moving will cost her about $3000+ and she has now asked me if I could move her stuff back to Prince George (8 hrs away) with my truck ('93 Silverado) and a u-haul trailer. It won't happen for 5-6 weeks, but I'll see if I can do that. I might be able to claim the house back. Wife needs to get home first ... critter care, while I make that trip. I haven't committed to it yet, but the tires, rims, oil change, tune-up, checking the wiring, probably need to be done first. Hopefully I can talk a buddy into going up there with me, share the driving.

- daugen - prayers for you that you feel better and that the Drs can get on this.

- mostly_gas - thanks for keeping me up to date on prayer needs

The roadside mowing is going on on I-89 (highway through Vermont and New Hampshire). These guys are mowing with big cab tractors (Masseys, I think) with a 10' cutter. They're mowing across slopes (some easily 40° or more) that I wouldn't feel safe driving my tractor up or down. I'm not even sure I'd want to walk on those slopes!Some of the tractors do have duals, others just single wheels. All the ones I've seen this year had single rear wheels. These operators must have serious cojones
- not a job that I could do

Last edited:
   / Good morning!!!! #154,103  
You guys are sure feeling the 3 H's.....

That must be farmer-talk for something that I haven't figured out ... Heat, Humidity, Hydration, Hurricanes, Hills ...

/ Good morning!!!! #154,104  
68°F and .47 inches rain.

Granddaughter making banana pancakes for breakfast.

Expecting a stay at home day except the kids may go visit the botanical gardens. Would be a pleasant surprise to get a call from the fabricator saying my flail bracket is ready for pickup.

Prayers for all
Be safe
Have a great day

/ Good morning!!!! #154,105  
I did a dump run yesterday, all was fine until I got weighed out at the scale. Computer had to be re-booted. In 21 years, I have had lots of dump runs averaging the $5 min, to about $12 maximum when loaded down. The load was light ... few garbage bags, bit of spent cardboard that could not be recycled. I figured it would be the $5 as it was 2 weeks ago. Cost by weight yesterday was $22. What ? I've NEVER had to pay that much before for household garbage. I asked at the scale, was getting nowhere, traffic backing up. I paid the $22 and left, with the receipt. Trouble is they trust the scale information, and my proof that it was a lighter load is already scattered around in the bin. I called the Regional District and asked if the scale was out ? They are checking into it. I think that perhaps I put 50 kgs into the landfill bins (about 100 lbs), ... but I was billed for 275 kgs (605 lbs) according to scaled weight. My in /out time was both at 3:12 PM, though I was there for about 25 minutes. I'm sure that this will get figured out soon enough, but the attitude on site was stupid. Oh well ... maybe I get a voucher. Either that or, they agree with the billing and assume that a strong, physically challenged, 50 yrs + man was able to singlehandedly remove 600 pounds of garbage from truck with canopy in about 10 min of time at the bin. :) Superman.

Update - they are sending me a reimbursement, not sure how much. Because I paid by DEBIT, they are sending a CHEQUE, that is the only way that the Finance Department can process it. Little Victories ... mostly on principle. Had they not chewed me out at the dump scale, and told me not to block traffic / scale doesn't lie, etc ... I would have let it go.

/ Good morning!!!! #154,106  
Goodmorning!!! 63F in San Simeon, CA. Mostly cloudy. High 68F. Winds WNW at 10 to 15 mph.
What a pleasant change from yesterday, where temps were in the mid 90s coming down the valley. This place is like an oasis by comparison.

Only one hiccup yesterday when the bike starved for fuel coming up Pacheco pass into a hugely strong headwind. Lost power, engine shook like it was gonna explode, and I had to make for the slow lane to keep from getting run over. Visions of another tow truck experience danced in my head when it started running OK again. So I just cut back on the speed and everything was OK. Time to do some fuel flow measuerments when I get home I guess.

Nice motel, not far from the beach. We swung by the pool area after dinner and found it empty, with a hot tub and a cool propane fire ring. Came back to enjoy it with a glass of wine, then a family showed up, then another, and another, and in fifteen minutes it was so noisy and crowded we had to leave...

Tide pools and yummies on the agenda for today. Life is good.

TGIF gang!

/ Good morning!!!! #154,107  
83F and "Fair" @ 12:30, HI 90F ... heading up to an actual high of around 85F with thunderstorms likely (90% chance) this afternoon. Attic fan just kicked on now that the sun is out (was cloudy earlier)

Everything here is pretty green and growing with the rain we've gotten lately, including the lawn. So it will likely need mowed again today while it's dry and I can get to it.

Will need to check fuel situation on the Cub, fuel gauge on the B2910 is now showing just below half, so will need to pick up 4 gallons for it while I'm down getting fuel for the Cub.

Hopper feeder and suet feeder needs refilled which I didn't get to yesterday.

Probably put forks on Kubota and round up that black locust pole and the eastern red cedar logs and bring them up/down to the house to prep them for fence posts. The black locust doesn't need much work, just washed off where it was in the ground. The eastern red cedar logs need the bark stripped off them which hopefully I can accomplish with the power washer. Then probably char the below ground portions with the HF propane weed burner.

Will need more than just those three, so will have to take inventory and see what else can be harvested.

Beyond that there's no shortage of possibilities, so will have to see what comes up.

Hope everyone has a great Friday ! ... (y)

/ Good morning!!!! #154,108  
expected but still unpleasant prebuy contract from fuel oil company just arrived.
2 dollars more per gallon than last year, now 4.67 gallon. Yikes. I use about 300 gallons in this little house but
still a huge increase. Am going to buy another oil filled radiator style electric heater and use that in house, to add to my other
electric heaters. Electric is going to be cheaper this winter than oil.

I predict a sad large increase in home fires due to this, space heaters add risk for sure if not very carefully managed.
I never leave the house with one on. Kids and pets with electric heaters are bad news. Talk about use with adult supervision...
sure wish I had a wood stove.

/ Good morning!!!! #154,110  
expected but still unpleasant prebuy contract from fuel oil company just arrived.
2 dollars more per gallon than last year, now 4.67 gallon. Yikes. I use about 300 gallons in this little house but
still a huge increase. Am going to buy another oil filled radiator style electric heater and use that in house, to add to my other
electric heaters. Electric is going to be cheaper this winter than oil.

I predict a sad large increase in home fires due to this, space heaters add risk for sure if not very carefully managed.
I never leave the house with one on. Kids and pets with electric heaters are bad news. Talk about use with adult supervision...
sure wish I had a wood stove.
Drew you need to install a small mini split then you would have heat and air in one unit and pretty cheap to run!