Good morning!!!!

/ Good morning!!!! #187,071  
Yesterday my dentist office called to change my appointment from 11 to 10. Now 10:24 and still waiting.
I think that defines hurry up and wait...
hope your mouth and wallet survived

gstrom, very sorry you lost your friend.
all friends are special, some more than others.

spent several hours with my friends here in the rv in Ronks Pa.
We've known each other since high school and I bought a Honda Foreman from his Honda dealership here in 1988.
He just retired after selling business. I hope to visit them in Myrtle Beach later this year.

weather sure cooperated with me, clearing up all day, should be nice tomorrow for doing central market in Lancaster. I hope to stock up on a few things, and for sure bring back a pie for my one favorite neighbor. I really don't want anything made with lard or tallow so this will be a fun quest.
strawberry and rhubarb pie might get me interested.
so much sugar used, hard to avoid it.

we are going to go out driving tomorrow and I'd like to find a scenic overlook or some place interesting to send the drone up 400 feet and take some pics.

/ Good morning!!!! #187,076  
Good (Friday) morning. Overnight Low of 11.6C and it's presently 21.8C, partly cloudy with variable winds.

I got a call, yesterday arvo, from a friend to assist him this arvo with setting up a few 'Vote for Me' signs... we've got a State election at the end of the month. After that, the "Mad Agisting Horse Woman" has requested a paddock transfer (from #5 to #6, for those of you keeping track :) ), which I'll get to after the signs. Which means that I've got some 'tractor fun' coming up cleaning (chain-harrow/mulching) Paddock #5 on Saturday.

The Weatherguessers have predicted a heatwave for the weekend with Sunday being the warmest (32C+). This being Tasmania = that's hot.

That's about it, take care all.

/ Good morning!!!! #187,078  
46F and cloudy @ 17:45, heading down to 42F for the overnight low.

Just got back from Menards and the mower shop.

Stopped by the mower shop first and talked to the service writer. A fairly disappointing experience.

After clearing up who I was (he didn't seem real clear on it ... despite having talked to me ... yesterday ?) After discussing the issue for a bit he told me that both front lower bolts on the valve covers were inaccessible and that he had pulled the shop owner in on it and shop owner said motor has to come out. Said I could take it up with him if I wanted to. Strike one.

I told him I just wanted to see the issue with the valve cover bolts myself. So we headed on over to the rack where the hydraulic oil was being changed.

rs, you would probably be more qualified to adjust your valves, than the kid they hand it to. just saying...

Actually, a very good call on your part ... (y)

As the service writer and I approach the rack, the kid that has done the hydraulic service is standing there holding one of the bottles of hydraulic fluid, topping things off apparently.

Can you see where this is going ?

As if on cue, he promptly bobbles the open bottle of hydraulic fluid he's holding, dropping it on top of the engine and spilling fluid on the front half of the engine and engine compartment ... and says something like "Well ... that's not good" ... yeah ... probably not. ... 🤬

Strike two.

So after having a look, I determine that the lower left front valve cover bolt has marginal clearance to the frame to fit a Torx bit into it. Maybe 1/8" divot in the frame would have allowed access.

Service writer is busy telling me it's the same deal on the other side as well (left lower front bolt) ... at which point I bend down and tell him that if you come at it from under the gas tank with an extension there should be enough clearance to be able to get to the bolt. Appears that there's a better shot there as the bolt doesn't appear to sit as low in relation to the frame as the other side.

At this point the service writer wants to pull me over to the next rack which has another Pro Z 100 series sitting it. I tell him I'm really not interested - since it's a different model with different engine (Kawasaki) ... although it was notable that that model was even worse in terms of clearance.

We head back over to the office and have some additional discussion which I won't detail here. Commiserated with him about companies not being willing to pay fair time/rate on warranty work. He gives me an 800 number for Cub to call and share my thoughts. Asks me if there is anything he can do for me, I mention I seem to recall something about perhaps the manual recommended a spark plug change @ XXX hours (100 ? 500 ?)

He replies that they change them at 50 hours.

Really ?

I am pretty much flabbergasted ... and didn't even bother to ask why. Strike three.

So we pretty much left it there. The whole thing was very cordial - but kind of loose-goosy from his end, and I didn't go off on anyone ... other than when I was heading out the door the kid that had spilled the oil was heading outside as well, about 20' ahead of me and I yelled "Hey !" to get his attention and when he turned around I said "You're gonna give that thing a bath ... right ?" He replied in the affirmative ... (y)

So I think we/they are done at this point, need to call tomorrow though ... just to make sure.

Service writer did point out that even if the bolts can be gotten out, there still might be an issue with getting the valve cover off, in terms of clearance with the frame. That's a fair point and I guess I will find out.

Found a post online from a guy that has pulled that engine (Kohler Confidant EZT750) ... maybe in a different machine ? ... that said it weights around 100 lbs ... so it's not an insurmountable obstacle. Just would prefer to not have to mess with removing the electric clutch and whatever else on the bottom.

Headed to Menards after that and picked up the new shower pan. Ended up wishing I had taken the van, pan wouldn't fit in the back seat and barely ended up fitting in the trunk (had to leave trunk open and tie it down)

At any rate managed to get that home without losing it out the back.

Hope everyone has a decent evening ... (y)

/ Good morning!!!! #187,079  
It’s spring in the north east lol.
1709855663559.jpeg

/ Good morning!!!! #187,080  
Just seems nuts to me to have to do that to adjust the valves.
Often really tight things like that can be accomplished by others WITHOUT pulling the engine, but just not as guaranteed as when pulling the engine.
My Ford E350 diesel (van) was going to require dropping the engine to get to the injectors. Otherwise one injector was deemed inaccessible. After significant web research I found someone who advised how to just loosen the mounts a bit.
Never did replace that injector, vehicle started without it, just rougher.

Besides, how much does the dealer make on doing it the cheap way with the possibility of messing something up?
And you've witnessed the adequacy of his labor force.