Got to love developments in rural areas

/ Got to love developments in rural areas #201  
Yea, I keep wondering that.
[re best time in the future to build]

Going to have a lot of "wondering." BUT, it will be just as it is now: those that have enough money WILL be able to build; those without enough, WON'T. I am fairly confident in saying that the number of folks in the "WILL be able to" category are going to shrink. Developers will continue to consolidate and be the only ones really building: going toward a rentier society (will say no more about this). Build now if you can/want to, otherwise it's only going to get dicier (and right now it's insanely dicier).

I have enough right now, but how much I'd have left over is a total guess- I know that how much left over wouldn't be MORE. Resource scarcity and increased taxation (permitting process etc.) is going to make construction less affordable for the individual home-owner-builder: for areas relying on sales tax income, such as in my state, there's going to be a drop in tax "revenues"- such will have to come from somewhere- look around and guess who will that be.

/ Got to love developments in rural areas #202  
Prices have tipped downward slightly so...

/ Got to love developments in rural areas
I never consider the basement a story..
I've got to ask why?

My father has a bedroom with closets, living room with small kitchen area with sink to prepare basic foods, along with a refrigerator and bathroom with walk in tub/shower along with a dedicated HVAC system for that "floor". He basically lives there now as the stairs are getting to be to much for him (he use to come up for breakfast and dinner, not so much now).

/ Got to love developments in rural areas #204  
When I was a kid, my dad, an architect, explained about when basements are and are not considered a story, mostly. 🤣

Unfinished - no, it's just a basement.
Finished - no, it's just a finished basement.
More than half of the walls sticking out of the ground - can be if finished.
Walkout - can be if finished.
Used as the main floor with exterior entrance - yes, but then it's not a basement, it's the first floor.

The house he built had two basements. One had a study, furnace room, and two bedrooms with egress windows opening into a sunken patio area. The other, with a trap door entrance in the pantry behind the kitchen, basically in the center of the house, was a bomb shelter.

/ Got to love developments in rural areas #207  
With my dad being an architect, a construction specifications writer, and a HUD inspector, I got to see a lot of stuff growing up, before, during, and after constructions, remodels, and demolitions. From simple houses to complicated structures. It was pretty cool! :)

/ Got to love developments in rural areas #208  
Prices have tipped downward slightly so...
Be careful to not confuse "prices" with "affordability". [For example:] Soaring food and energy prices (perhaps coupled with stagnating wages) can readily eat up money that would/could otherwise be used for construction: ugh, just paid more to fill up the car's tank than I ever have (fortunately our cars get 50+mpg).

/ Got to love developments in rural areas #209  
Be careful to not confuse "prices" with "affordability". [For example:] Soaring food and energy prices (perhaps coupled with stagnating wages) can readily eat up money that would/could otherwise be used for construction: ugh, just paid more to fill up the car's tank than I ever have (fortunately our cars get 50+mpg).

The average US household will pay $5200 more than it did last year if the inflation rate remains constant.
Anyone got an extra $5200 they can easily pay out (other than snobdds)?

/ Got to love developments in rural areas #210  
The average US household will pay $5200 more than it did last year if the inflation rate remains constant.
Anyone got an extra $5200 they can easily pay out (other than snobdds)?

Yup, had run across that figure as well. I suspect that it's understated. I also figure that this isn't as short-term/correcting issue. For me, looking down the barrel of a fixed-income (hoping to retire soon), it's a risk that's way to big to take.