GPS Precision Farming Accuracy

/ GPS Precision Farming Accuracy #1  

Indian Territory

Bronze Member
Tractor
New Holland PowerStar 75
I just asked this question on Reddit, but I probably should have come here first.

We're just a little berry farm using mostly mechanical tractors. Not a lot of electro hydraulic luxury, never mind computer controlled technology. What kind of accuracy do the big operators get with their gps precision farming setups. I mean my phone can't get within 10 feet of being right, but surely that's not close enough for row planning year after year. We'll never be big enough to need it, but I'm curious anyway.

/ GPS Precision Farming Accuracy #2  
JD's starfire precision farming system accuracy less than an inch.

/ GPS Precision Farming Accuracy
Dang. Does that require multiple sensors and triangulation, or does it all happen right in the cab?

/ GPS Precision Farming Accuracy #4  

Yup. I was watching a YouTube video not long ago...some big farmer in the Midwest with some pretty fancy equipment. His tractor cab looked like it belonged in the space shuttle, with all the screens and computers. Giant John Deere tractor, planting; the guy was not touching the steering wheel. Said the GPS system that came with the tractor was accurate to within one inch in one mile!

At the mines I worked at, they used professional Trimble brand GPS units in the ground engaging equipment. That enabled them to quickly level out a piece of ground so that for all practical purposes it was perfectly level.

/ GPS Precision Farming Accuracy #5  
Dang. Does that require multiple sensors and triangulation, or does it all happen right in the cab?
I believe top accuracy requires a calibrated (=location precisely determined) ground-based beacon in addition to the satellite cloud.

/ GPS Precision Farming Accuracy #6  
You have to look at all the quoted specs, sales people lie all the time - or maybe they don't understand what they are selling. No they just flat out lie to get the sale.

1716459514140.png

You can find some interesting stuff here

Attachments

• 1716459485504.png
    1716459485504.png
    7.7 KB · Views: 43
   / GPS Precision Farming Accuracy #7  
Deere has different levels of accuracy based on the system components. The system used for simple tillage vs planting can vary in accuracy from sub inch to several inches. I believe other companies have the same offering.

I have seen systems where there is GPS receiver on both the planter and tractor. Planter is master and tractor is slave for controlling planter position in rolling sidehill terrain.

I was told cost for high accuracy increases pretty significantly a couple of years ago but with advancing technology that may or may not be true today.

/ GPS Precision Farming Accuracy #8  
I started using gps as a land surveyor in the early 90’s. The accuracy really hasn’t improved but the number of satellites and software has.

A single unit is almost useless for precision. They say 10 meters (33 feet) is the accuracy of a single unit although it does better usually. For surveying we had two units, a base and a rover. The base was setup on a known point and linked to the rover via a radio link. We still use that method but you can also use a cell phone to dial up corrections from multiple base gps units located throughout the state.

I think most precision ag uses some type of radio or satellite link to send corrections to the tractor. If it’s a high quality setup you can get accuracy of 1 inch. It’s also important to have a fairly clear sky to get this accuracy, as in not a lot of trees or other obstructions.

Last edited:
   / GPS Precision Farming Accuracy #9  
I asked a farming family member about this some years ago. He then said, something to the effect "GPS software doesn't do well compensating for tractor wheel slippage on hill sides. I don't like it". Maybe he's changed his mind since. I think I'll be seeing him when we go home for a funeral this spring.

/ GPS Precision Farming Accuracy #10  
I asked a farming family member about this some years ago. He then said, something to the effect "GPS software doesn't do well compensating for tractor wheel slippage on hill sides. I don't like it". Maybe he's changed his mind since. I think I'll be seeing him when we go home for a funeral this spring.

The wheel slippage is why they are now putting GPS on planter and tractor so planter is in correct position on sidehills.