Grand L 3940 vs. Mahindra 4035

/ Grand L 3940 vs. Mahindra 4035 #51  
But this just comes right back to options vs standard equipment. I hear the government is going to force every car to have a back up camera and a display in the dash. They say that a few kids a year get killed because they get backed over in driveways. Of course this will get bundled with a GPS. The whole system will probably cost about $1000 to $1500 (they say less but are they ever right). Would you rather it be an option or would you rather be forced to buy it?

I don't think it comes down to waste of money but more a case of deciding where best to spend your money. After all most tractors are sold with a FEL, would you say they should be standard equipment too?

Those features on the Mahindra come std and the Mahindra tractor was still less money than the Kubota. So if those std features on the Mahindra were options, then the Mahindra would be even less. Maybe everything should be an option. From what I read here on TBN. there are quite a few people that don't use the 3pt hitch, maybe that should be an option also. :confused: Think of cars, you purchase a car and it has a certain group of options. It use to be that AC was an option. I don't think that it is anymore, it just comes with most cars and I'm sure that one of the auto makers was the first to have it as std equipment. We could go on and on, buy why?

/ Grand L 3940 vs. Mahindra 4035 #52  
Those features on the Mahindra come std and the Mahindra tractor was still less money than the Kubota. So if those std features on the Mahindra were options, then the Mahindra would be even less. Maybe everything should be an option. From what I read here on TBN. there are quite a few people that don't use the 3pt hitch, maybe that should be an option also. :confused: Think of cars, you purchase a car and it has a certain group of options. It use to be that AC was an option. I don't think that it is anymore, it just comes with most cars and I'm sure that one of the auto makers was the first to have it as std equipment. We could go on and on, buy why?

But the OP just said that the difference between the two tractors wasn't that much (at least at the dealers he's dealing with). I could be wrong but it sounds like that difference isn't enought to sway him to a Mahindra over a Kubota. Maybe if the tractor was another $1000 or $2000 cheaper he wouldn't be still looking at Kubota. Just food for thought. :)

/ Grand L 3940 vs. Mahindra 4035 #53  
But the OP just said that the difference between the two tractors wasn't that much (at least at the dealers he's dealing with). I could be wrong but it sounds like that difference isn't enought to sway him to a Mahindra over a Kubota. Maybe if the tractor was another $1000 or $2000 cheaper he wouldn't be still looking at Kubota. Just food for thought. :)

:confused: :confused: In post #34 RJJR says that there is a $1500 difference from the L3940 and the 4035. Apparently you are right and that savings is not enough to get him to purchase the Mahindra. That's fine, not a problem for me. Both are good tractors. My whole reason for even posting in this thread is that some of the posters seem to think that a Mahindra is an entry level (cheap) tractor, they are not. Everyone's marketing strategy is not the same, thus the differences in std and optional features.

If someone chooses to spend more money to get less equipment, that's fine with me and it is good that we have the choice to do so. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: There are too many factors to consider to list them all to be able to figure out one's reasoning for doing something. I for one am glad that we are able to do what we do. ;)

/ Grand L 3940 vs. Mahindra 4035 #54  
I think all the options and prices and stuff have been discussed pretty much as much as can be done so let me put this way I'd rather have a tractor made in Japan than India. You're not going to get one made in the US that's just the way it is. IMO a tractor made in India ought to be half the price of one made in Japan due to labor cost if nothing else. Personally I have nothing against the people of India. Options or not if there's only $1500 difference it would be a no brainer for us.

/ Grand L 3940 vs. Mahindra 4035 #55  
:confused: :confused: In post #34 RJJR says that there is a $1500 difference from the L3940 and the 4035. Apparently you are right and that savings is not enough to get him to purchase the Mahindra. That's fine, not a problem for me. Both are good tractors. My whole reason for even posting in this thread is that some of the posters seem to think that a Mahindra is an entry level (cheap) tractor, they are not. Everyone's marketing strategy is not the same, thus the differences in std and optional features.

If someone chooses to spend more money to get less equipment, that's fine with me and it is good that we have the choice to do so. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: There are too many factors to consider to list them all to be able to figure out one's reasoning for doing something. I for one am glad that we are able to do what we do. ;)

Brian, if I said something in one of my posts that got your motor running, I apologize. I was trying to give the OP an upbeat reckoning of Mahindra since they seem to make good equipment and are in it for the long haul. Sorry if there was anything that sounded like "da*ning with faint praise" as the saying goes. That was not the intent.

/ Grand L 3940 vs. Mahindra 4035 #56  
Brian, if I said something in one of my posts that got your motor running, I apologize. I was trying to give the OP an upbeat reckoning of Mahindra since they seem to make good equipment and are in it for the long haul. Sorry if there was anything that sounded like "da*ning with faint praise" as the saying goes. That was not the intent.

No problem here. Both are good tractors in my opinion. Depending on ones needs, wants and circumstances dictates what they end up with. My gripe is with certain professional individuals who continually put down anything that is not Kubota. If they truly believe that Kubota is the epitome of the tractor world as they so act, then I feel sorry for all of their customers. :(

/ Grand L 3940 vs. Mahindra 4035 #57  
I liked the looks of the Mahindra but the closest dealer was 100 miles away and now it is gone too. Kubota seemed to suit and be good value plus there are 3 dealers all within 1/2 hrs drive. Really a no brainer.:laughing:

/ Grand L 3940 vs. Mahindra 4035 #58  
I liked the looks of the Mahindra but the closest dealer was 100 miles away and now it is gone too. Kubota seemed to suit and be good value plus there are 3 dealers all within 1/2 hrs drive. Really a no brainer.:laughing:

That's what I'm talking about. When we first started looking it looked like it might be a McCormick but the biggest McCormick dealer around stopped selling them and the other guy had just picked up the line, he turned out to be more of an outdoor power equipment dealer.. Then to top it all off they didn't have anything in stock close to what we wanted, not even 100 miles away, same thing with the Massey. I've got 3 Kubota dealers within 30 minutes of here one less than 5 minutes away, everyone of them had at least 1 L3940, one had 4 still in the crates, and no I don't think Kubota is the greatest thing since sliced bread, out of 6 it's the only orange tractor we have. We really liked the looks of the TYM but by the time we added what we wanted we were right up there at the price of the Kubota.

/ Grand L 3940 vs. Mahindra 4035
I've taken a look at them both and agree looking at Mahindra was a good thing to do. They look like good tractors. At this point, I'm leaning toward the Kubota for a couple of reasons but its no slam dunk. I don't like the faded paint I see on the Kubota here at my dealer 's lot. It's less than two years old and looks 10.

If the pricing were more competitive (like the 5K some have mentioned here) then I might try the Mahindra. I've gotten a price from Barlows since my last quote and they are willing to deliver to my home for $25,500 which is only 1K difference than the Mahindra and I'd still have to work out delivery of about 45 miles on the Mahindra. But, Barlows is only $500 less than my local dealer who is 5 minutes outside of Town so I'm leaning toward buying local if they'll come off the loader some. Still, the $25,500 price from Barlow's includes a delivery distance of 500 miles so it's not a bad price. If you figure $1.50 per mile like many do then you could knock another $750 off the price meaning its down to $24,750 or within $250 of the Mahindra. I think I'd be happy either way but am considering a local purchase of the Kubota considering price, and a proven dealer network. Grand L 3940, R4 tires, one rear remote, FEL, Standard bucket and quick connect for 26K. I may sign the paper work if they'll knock 10% off the FEL which is fully priced at $5100 right now. Not as good a price as Barlows but would be dealing locally for somewhere between $500 and $1K difference. Thanks for all the help.

/ Grand L 3940 vs. Mahindra 4035
Come to think of it there could be a little more difference than $250 since the Barlow's offer is a counter offer and I didn't make an offer on the Mahindra so he might would come down from the $24,500. Hadn't made a counter on the 26K local Kubota either so hope to get somethng there to seal the deal. Just wanted to make sure and compare apples to apples for anyone looking at pricing help.
Thanks
RJ